[WIP][1.3.1] North Kerbin Dynamics - Nuclear Bombs and Heavy Ordnance Pack (and other things) v0.84b

harpwner

6 hours ago, MariLaFlora said:

Ouka! It's Manned? IF it is, perpare for Kerbal Kamikaze Program *laughing toujouly* 

Sorry to say it isn't manned but... I think it is quite possible :wink:

I can add that functionality real quick, when I get home.

How the hell do you even put the Karl-Gerät on the battlefield without popping wheels.

This thing is goddamn monstrous. (And your version lacks an umlaut or ae. As I am German and this is about WWII weaponry, I endeavour to be a literal grammar nаzi.)

Edited by Angstinator

51 minutes ago, Angstinator said:

How the hell do you even put the Karl-Gerät on the battlefield without popping wheels.

This thing is goddamn monstrous. (And your version lacks an umlaut or ae. As I am German and this is about WWII weaponry, I endeavour to be a literal grammar nаzi.)

well, the umlaut isn't really possible I don't think because notepad :/

I'll give it a shot anyway.

Could we even make these a possibility XD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_balloon

Japanese balloon bombs, first intercontinental weapons. Carried one 15kg anti-personal bomb, an 11 kg incendiary bomb, and four 5kg other incendiary devices in different variations.  Never caused much much danger except for the deaths of 6 people in one accident. Roughly 9300 built.

320px-Japanese_fire_balloon_Moffett.jpg balloon.jpg

Or even these???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Outward (British version)

Carried trailing steel wire for damaging high voltage power lines or incendiary bombs for starting fires, was a nuisance for the Germany in WW2. It costed 83£ in 2015, with over 99,000 being produced, compared to the Japanese Fire Balloons which costed roughly 2,300 USD in 2015.

390px-Operation-outward.jpg

scan0029.jpg

Furthermore, a word on the Exocet.

Maximum range for this missile is 20km, the range of a large tracking radar.

Fuel lasts longer than that, presumably much longer.

I propose reducing its flight time - the missile tends to overshoot its targets otherwise (tested twice each at 15.4 and 19.5km).

2 minutes ago, Angstinator said:

Furthermore, a word on the Exocet.

Maximum range for this missile is 20km, the range of a large tracking radar.

Fuel lasts longer than that, presumably much longer.

I propose reducing its flight time - the missile tends to overshoot its targets otherwise (tested twice each at 15.4 and 19.5km).

The exocet is... Special

I'm still working on it's guidance because it can't ground skim, more word on that when I get something done xD

On another note, I shamefully confess that I am having a hard time even launching kinetic impactors.

I suspect those aren't actually weapons in and of themselves, just big, hard, resilient things to drop on a target...which makes actually precision-targetting them inconvenient.

2 hours ago, Angstinator said:

On another note, I shamefully confess that I am having a hard time even launching kinetic impactors.

I suspect those aren't actually weapons in and of themselves, just big, hard, resilient things to drop on a target...which makes actually precision-targetting them inconvenient.

I believe the whole concept of a kinetic bombarder is pretty flawed because of how hard it is to aim, however they are quite powerful... kinetic energy can get real dangerous at those speeds.

I'm not an expert in orbit-to-surface, so forgive me if I can't help but wonder how a MIRV can be targetted but a block of tungsten with fins cannot.

I mean, I do understand, roughly, why not, I just don't get how the MIRV pulls it off and what the difference in manoeuvering is.

Just now, Angstinator said:

I'm not an expert in orbit-to-surface, so forgive me if I can't help but wonder how a MIRV can be targetted but a block of tungsten with fins cannot.

I mean, I do understand, roughly, why not, I just don't get how the MIRV pulls it off and what the difference in manoeuvering is.

the issue is really with part modules, I can try to add guidance but I fear the explosive part stuff will conflict with each other.

I'll test it later when I'm not busy :/

The nukes in this mod are (possibly accidentally) very realistic in a certain way. When detonated at an altitude (I made the bomb detonate in its bay) the nukes do a much better job at destroying the KSC than when detonated at ground level. Could you maybe try implementing a timed or altitude detonation option? (The code for BD armoury's cluster bombs could maybe be used for this?)

Ground Detonation: (Only radio dishes destroyed)

kHCpg8Y.png

Altitude Detonation: (Only administrative building survived)

mauOm0W.png

I tried a few tests and there was some variation depending on the impact/detonation point, but air-burst detonations typically performed better, I think the detonation may only damage buildings it has line of sight to, so at ground level it often only damages the buildings near it, whereas an air-burst has line of sight to most of them.

31 minutes ago, Collider1 said:

The nukes in this mod are (possibly accidentally) very realistic in a certain way. When detonated at an altitude (I made the bomb detonate in its bay) the nukes do a much better job at destroying the KSC than when detonated at ground level. Could you maybe try implementing a timed or altitude detonation option? (The code for BD armoury's cluster bombs could maybe be used for this?)

Ground Detonation: (Only radio dishes destroyed)

kHCpg8Y.png

Altitude Detonation: (Only administrative building survived)

mauOm0W.png

I tried a few tests and there was some variation depending on the impact/detonation point, but air-burst detonations typically performed better, I think the detonation may only damage buildings it has line of sight to, so at ground level it often only damages the buildings near it, whereas an air-burst has line of sight to most of them.

hmmm, that's actually quite doable, though I'd have to make a custom module for it because the cluster bomb has a completely different function. But what I am working on is a custom module altogether for nukes with a new type of explosion and such, so keep your eyes open for updates on that when I'm on break this saturday.

Two words about "thermoMIRV" part.

- Aren't its axes rotated? Looks like it's designed for SPH, as in VAB it was rotated by 90° for me.

- If I add "CoMOffset" parameter into cfg and make the center of mass shifted from its cone base towards the nose, it became more stable on free fall and falls nose-foremost all its way (not side-foremost).

- For other command pods, nosecones, etc, this line worked fine for me:
    CoMOffset = 0.0, 2.0, 0.0
    (I.e. dX = 0, dY (usually vertical axis) = 2.0, dZ = 0.0)
    But with this part dY = 2.0 has shifted the center of mass not upwards as usual, but sideways, towards the cone base, even if I'd rotated the cone upwards. So, probably, the axes are rotated.

TO EVERYONE!

These last few days of the week, I'm busy with multiple projects that are due at the end of the week, and am basically unable to do any sort of fixing or work on this mod until I finish those projects, end the week, and go on break. Once on break I have a lot of different videos to do for YouTube, but those don't take ALL my time like these projects do. So I will reply and everything on the forums, but no progress reports until I can actually make progress.

This weekend I will begin to make an overview series on my main channel, Harpwner53. It'll work similarly to Baha's videos but I will actually be talking :P

I'll try to make them helpful so that it's another way of learning how to use my weapons.

Edited by harpwner
Status Report

1 hour ago, MariLaFlora said:

I think you should add:

• 76.2 mm QF 17-pdr gun
  • 75 mm PaK 40
  • 88 mm FlaK 36
  • 152 mm M-10 Howitzer (Derp added)

Your timing is amazing

I just got on break, and I was thinking of some proper guns to make. What I'll do is make some swiveling variants (like psuedo-mounts, won't work on turrets) and maybe make some turreted variants at some point.

Artillery is cool and all, but we need tank guns heheheheh

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.