[WIP][1.3.1] North Kerbin Dynamics - Nuclear Bombs and Heavy Ordnance Pack (and other things) v0.84b

harpwner

On 3/9/2016 at 9:46 PM, harpwner said:

So it appears I have got the progressive explosions/shockwaves to work on the nuclear bombs... so here's a video to demonstrate

It's not much but something I just kinda threw together... couldn't help put a few cinematic elements in of course.

Do you know the Minimum Safe Distances when dropping each of the Nuclear Weapons? I see that the B-83 has almost a exact same blast radius as the Castle Bravo, even though the Bravo is a 15 mt and the 83 is 1.3 megaton. 

Just now, CaptainCreeper56 said:

Do you know the Minimum Safe Distances when dropping each of the Nuclear Weapons? I see that the B-83 has almost a exact same blast radius as the Castle Bravo, even though the Bravo is a 15 mt and the 83 is 1.3 megaton. 

The explosion values will be tweaked, but the minimum safe distance depends if you are going faster than sound or not. If you are going supersonic, if the bomb explodes more than 500m away you'll be fine. However if slower, you'll probably be safe detonating a couple kilometers off?

3 hours ago, harpwner said:

The explosion values will be tweaked, but the minimum safe distance depends if you are going faster than sound or not. If you are going supersonic, if the bomb explodes more than 500m away you'll be fine. However if slower, you'll probably be safe detonating a couple kilometers off?

Ah, because I have been testing with subsonic aircraft, the Castle Bravo, it requires minimum 10km safe distance. For the B61, I belive 5, then for the B83, maybe 8 idk, and for the TSAR, 17 km or 20 km is what I have received. 

Anyway, thanks for this mod and thanks in advance for tweaking the blast values of the WMDs. Keep doin what you are doin. 

23 hours ago, boomchacle said:

I have a request. Schwerer Gustav. 800 mm Siege artillery. no reason why not, as it is big, powerful and heavy

If I am not mistaken, it already exists.  I have yet to use it for a super-tank due to the nuclear option being far superior in my opinion, but I believe the mod already includes it.

On 2016/3/11 at 4:08 PM, boomchacle said:

I have a request. Schwerer Gustav. 800 mm Siege artillery. no reason why not, as it is big, powerful and heavy

Are you serious that a gun with a firing rate of "1 round every 30 to 45 minutes or typically 14 rounds a day" would be practical in KSP?

Edited by Acea

On 09/03/2016 at 0:46 AM, harpwner said:

So it appears I have got the progressive explosions/shockwaves to work on the nuclear bombs... so here's a video to demonstrate

It's not much but something I just kinda threw together... couldn't help put a few cinematic elements in of course.

are those engines the quiz tech dual ones?

On 2016-03-11 at 8:06 PM, harpwner said:

I've been testing and i can't escape Castle Bravo's blast radius in a B52 at 10,500m going 250m/s. Which is normal; because Megaton+ bombs have parachutes to delay their fall so the aircraft has time to escape.
Is there any way we could add parachutes to those?

2 hours ago, lolzor said:

I've been testing and i can't escape Castle Bravo's blast radius in a B52 at 10,500m going 250m/s. Which is normal; because Megaton+ bombs have parachutes to delay their fall so the aircraft has time to escape.

Yes BDArmory provides a deployed drag parameter. You can check out the Mk-82 Snakeye.

20 hours ago, Acea said:

Are you serious that a gun with a firing rate of "1 round every 30 to 45 minutes or typically 14 rounds a day" would be practical in KSP?

You are right @Acea . The Schwerer Gustav serve no more purpose than a GIGANTIC fortress and bomb target because of her EXTREMELY SLOW fire rate.

11 hours ago, lolzor said:

You can't escape nuclear bomb radii until the next update when the explosive shockwaves get implimented

Probably shoulda mentioned that :P

On 3/11/2016 at 2:04 AM, Acea said:

Thankfully KSP has time acceleration :)

I can think of a few applications for a super-heavy howitzer. Centerline-mounting it on a warship in place of gun turrets with smaller caliber cannons, for one. 

1 hour ago, Muffinman840 said:

I can think of a few applications for a super-heavy howitzer. Centerline-mounting it on a warship in place of gun turrets with smaller caliber cannons, for one. 

I don't think that speeds up reload times as I have done so w/ the slower firing arty pieces on here and nothing went faster

4 hours ago, Muffinman840 said:

Only physics acceleration speeds up reloading so you'd better have a try by yourself

On 3/12/2016 at 7:20 AM, harpwner said:

You can't escape nuclear bomb radii until the next update when the explosive shockwaves get implimented

Probably shoulda mentioned that :P

ok great. Do you know when the next update will happen?

On 3/12/2016 at 1:44 PM, Muffinman840 said:

Schwerer gustav... mounted on a SHIP...

*Heart attack.

On 3/11/2016 at 11:30 PM, NuclearNut said:

If I am not mistaken, it already exists.  I have yet to use it for a super-tank due to the nuclear option being far superior in my opinion, but I believe the mod already includes it.

Yes there is a very large caliber gun, nut it is not Gustav, it is gerat, a *smaller gun,

*lol smaller being 54 cm still.

ok I'm sorta willing to make the Gustav now, but that will delay the update a bit. Not to mention the current models seem to hate me.

The zumwalt isn't appearing in game

The Tiger turret is missing a turret for some unknown reason in unity

and I've had a lot of issues with coding (more based on me spending all my time on guitar tho)

ETA: not a short amount of time

1 hour ago, harpwner said:

ok I'm sorta willing to make the Gustav now, but that will delay the update a bit. Not to mention the current models seem to hate me.

The zumwalt isn't appearing in game

The Tiger turret is missing a turret for some unknown reason in unity

and I've had a lot of issues with coding (more based on me spending all my time on guitar tho)

ETA: not a short amount of time

Ok well Thanks for making this mod anyway and hope you have good luck with the textures and models. also the Gustav fires a projectile that weighs 7 tons.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.