WWII Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress Bomber

The Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress is an American four-engined heavy bomber developed in the 1930s for the United States Army Air Corps. Although the prototype crashed during a demonstration (therefore disqualifying Boeing from the contract) the air corps was so impressed with Boeing's design that it ordered 13 more B-17s for further evaluation.

I think this aircraft took me more than a week to finish, it was much harder than I expected.

The aircraft is equipped with conventional firebombs in the cargo bay. Open bay (Action Group 1) and stage bombs accordingly.

Here are some glamour shots!

Capacity is 10 crew (As does the IRL aircraft). The gunners were placed accordingly.

Link: http://kerbalx.com/Columbia/Boeing-B-17-Flying-Fortress

Bombing procedures:

--Open cargo bay (Custom01).

--Release bombs by staging. There are seven bombs in the bay, so if you're not using the interface, you should count the number of bombs. When the seventh bomb drops out, it's the end.

---Watch the explosions unfold!

When operating at full passenger load, be sure to go to the IVA of the Cupola module (This "controls it from here") or the Mk3 Cockpit to "calibrate the controls", otherwise, the controls would be disoriented.

Thanks for viewing!

Edited by Columbia

Looks messy, I still dont know why when people build "replicas" that look nothing like the real thing, not even from afar, and still expect to get good reviews...

But whatever, someone will be along shortly telling me how lacking in taste Im, just dont post on the interwebz if you cant take the heat.

Looks messy, I still dont know why when people build "replicas" that look nothing like the real thing, not even from afar, and still expect to get good reviews...

But whatever, someone will be along shortly telling me how lacking in taste Im, just dont post on the interwebz if you cant take the heat.

Sorry, but I tried my best. If you don't like it, then that's fine with me.

Edited by Columbia

Nice Work man, this is really good. Clever use of fairings for the tail and engine pods, How did you get the jets to work like that?

Thanks! Here's a quick sketch about how - I whipped it up in a couple seconds:

JwSj00s.jpg

Impressivily done, with stock parts. I cannot imagine somebody would *not* be able to recognize this as a B17 (the F model, it seems), unless they don't know anything about airplanes.

Thank you, Kerbart! I guess it's just the realism standards some have. :)

- - - Updated - - -

How do you think I can improve the replica, by the way?

Don't worry about this guy, it looks like he is a necro-troll from the wilderness of the past, he doesn't produce anything or have ideas, he just criticises others.

- - - Updated - - -

You could try lights or solar panels to mimic windows at the front, that nosecone is probably the least B-17 looking thing, maybe clip a cupola in

Boeing_B-17G.png

Don't worry about this guy, it looks like he is a necro-troll from the wilderness of the past, he doesn't produce anything or have ideas, he just criticises others.

Thanks, hopefully so.

Especially with no suggestions or explanations on how I can improve it..

- - - Updated - - -

..I'll try working on an alternative to that (ugly) nosecone.

Hey, it looks great, I can tell how much hard work you put into it. I made a feeble attempt at building an A-20 Havoc, and then a feeble attempt at building a Wellington, both failed. I can't figure out how to get the shape right!

I guess I'll just wait for you to do your own Havoc and Wellington...

Hey, it looks great, I can tell how much hard work you put into it. I made a feeble attempt at building an A-20 Havoc, and then a feeble attempt at building a Wellington, both failed. I can't figure out how to get the shape right!

I guess I'll just wait for you to do your own Havoc and Wellington...

Thanks, and good ideas! The Douglas A-20 doesn't seem too difficult on the first end, but the Wellington..

..Is a different story.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Columbia again.

Sorry, I would if I could.

Don't mention it, I think there were 3-4 rep-worthy ships I browsed through yesterday but couldn't help because of this 24-hour rep limit.

I should never browse discussion threads, or next thing I know, I'm repping every single post I agree with.

- - - Updated - - -

New nose looking good.

zPXM10l.jpg

I got up to the cockpit of the Wellington, fairlyy satisfied with it, before I realized what I was getting myself into. Getting the shape of the nose right while using Mk 3 fuselages is pretty difficult. The A-20 should be easy, it's fuselage is only wide enough for one person to sit in the cockpit, and it doesn't have a large glass dome in its nose. Well, the model I tried to replicate doesn't, anyway.

Edited by pTrevTrevs
Autocorrect screwing with me again. Kill it.

So do you guys have any suggestions on how I can improve it? Or does it look good enough?

Hey. Looking at it, if I were asked to change something I would immediately rebuild the cockpit. I think you could add a little more detail with only a few more parts. Apart from that, I don't know how it flies. In fact, I will test it tomorrow. I was thinking the other day, I comment a lot on craft and I never test them.. I will endeavor from now on to fly, drive, explode, deliver, build, dock, float, spin, heat up, burn up, retro burn, EVA, land and pull apart every craft I comment on. (may not happen..)

Hey. Looking at it, if I were asked to change something I would immediately rebuild the cockpit. I think you could add a little more detail with only a few more parts. Apart from that, I don't know how it flies. In fact, I will test it tomorrow. I was thinking the other day, I comment a lot on craft and I never test them.. I will endeavor from now on to fly, drive, explode, deliver, build, dock, float, spin, heat up, burn up, retro burn, EVA, land and pull apart every craft I comment on. (may not happen..)

Hey you helped me with my Ares 1

..Darnit, I think I rebuilt that cockpit three times now..

..I'll try again. What specifically doesn't seem to look good with the cockpit?

Hey you helped me with my Ares 1

YUP! I enjoyed that, it's part of why I want to test peoples craft. :)

- - - Updated - - -

..Darnit, I think I rebuilt that cockpit three times now..

..I'll try again. What specifically doesn't seem to look good with the cockpit?

Oh gosh.. Umm. Nothing really man, It's good and fits with the rest of the craft. I will hold off on final verdict until I open it in the editor tomorrow.

Nice job! It flies excellently for how big it is (it needs about half pitch trim however). Regarding the shape, the cockpit seems to be slightly off center, and the tailplane could do with a reduction in size (it's too fat).

accfg6z.png

Otherwise, it looks and flies great! I'll be hard pressed to beat this one :sticktongue:

YUP! I enjoyed that, it's part of why I want to test peoples craft. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh gosh.. Umm. Nothing really man, It's good and fits with the rest of the craft. I will hold off on final verdict until I open it in the editor tomorrow.

Alright :) For some reason, it has a high part count..

Nice job! It flies excellently for how big it is (it needs about half pitch trim however). Regarding the shape, the cockpit seems to be slightly off center, and the tailplane could do with a reduction in size (it's too fat).

http://i.imgur.com/accfg6z.png

Otherwise, it looks and flies great! I'll be hard pressed to beat this one :sticktongue:

Thanks for the feedback! I asked a friend of mine about the tail, he said similar - I'm now working on making it thinner. :)

- - - Updated - - -

How's it looking?

YFsovHu.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.