[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

Found a seemingly harmless bug.  It's more embarrassing than harmful it seems.

In the (stock, I think) tech tree, General Construction node, there are 71 extra pictures of the original Switchback Base Hub.  This part has its picture once, then the Mk2 Switchback, tube connection, and Gaslight.  After these, the 71 extra original Switchback pics begin and run to the bottom of the list.  13 full rows of 5 pics, plus an extra 2 partial rows with 3 each.

Fortunately, when you unlock this node, you only get 1 Switchback in the editor :)

Switchback Tech Tree Issue

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 0:36 AM, Angel-125 said:

Wow, that's weird! I don't do anything special with water, so it is likely a KSP issue of some sort.

Well, it seems to be isolated to PATHFINDER parts.  And today it caused casualties.  The cooling towers were 'hot' but steady at 675 kelvin when I left my field base scene.  I fetched and launched my Skykrane helicopter to come pick up a freshly refined cargo container of enriched uranium.  When the chopper entered the loading range for the base, there was a series of explosions.

The base, upon loading, spontaneously overheated and detonated both Old Faithfuls, a Saddle, the Ponderosa on the Saddle, and two Docs.  Two scientists lost their lives in the blast.  It was karnage.

I expect you to attend their funerals and you can expect a formal report submitted to KOSHER (Kerbal Occupational Safety and Health Expert Regulators) concerning dangerously faulty equipment. 

;.;

2 hours ago, AdmiralTigerclaw said:

Well, it seems to be isolated to PATHFINDER parts.  And today it caused casualties.  The cooling towers were 'hot' but steady at 675 kelvin when I left my field base scene.  I fetched and launched my Skykrane helicopter to come pick up a freshly refined cargo container of enriched uranium.  When the chopper entered the loading range for the base, there was a series of explosions.

The base, upon loading, spontaneously overheated and detonated both Old Faithfuls, a Saddle, the Ponderosa on the Saddle, and two Docs.  Two scientists lost their lives in the blast.  It was karnage.

I expect you to attend their funerals and you can expect a formal report submitted to KOSHER (Kerbal Occupational Safety and Health Expert Regulators) concerning dangerously faulty equipment. 

;.;

Generators create heat, so do drills. You can go into the configs and find the "generatesHeat" field and set it to false.

@Angel-125 I found a slight problem or 2 with PF...  Using PF 

1.  Switchback Mk 2 Node Locations
There is no node on top of this part like there was on the Mk1.  I miss this because I like to stick Gaslights on top of Switchbacks :)  Also, the 4 side nodes are too low and too far outboard relative to the model, so other parts don't fit to it correctly.

Switchback 2 Nodes

2.  Resource Distribution:
Even if you lock tanks, modules set to be distributors still distribute resources in locked tanks.  For instance, the geothermal power plant.  If you lock the water tank and set it as a distributor (so it sends EC to other modules), the water tank still drains.

17 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

@Angel-125 I found a slight problem or 2 with PF...  Using PF 

1.  Switchback Mk 2 Node Locations
There is no node on top of this part like there was on the Mk1.  I miss this because I like to stick Gaslights on top of Switchbacks :)  Also, the 4 side nodes are too low and too far outboard relative to the model, so other parts don't fit to it correctly.

2.  Resource Distribution:
Even if you lock tanks, modules set to be distributors still distribute resources in locked tanks.  For instance, the geothermal power plant.  If you lock the water tank and set it as a distributor (so it sends EC to other modules), the water tank still drains.

I'll take a look today and see what I find. The Mk2 Switchback should be easy to fix. I'm a bit surprised at the resource distribution; I tested that case and it didn't distribute the locked resources.

@Geschosskopf: Ok, found the issue with the Mk2 Switchback. I had my numbers reversed (which I do sometimes..). Anyway, if you don't mind a little config surgery, go into Pathfinder/Parts/Structural/Switchback2.cfg and replace the attachment nodes with this:

node_stack_mount = 0, 0, 0, 0, -1, 0, 3
	node_stack_top = 0, 1.309342, 0, 0, 1, 0, 2
	node_stack_right = 0.5740595, 0.7747217, 0, 1, 0, 0, 2
	node_stack_left = -0.5740595, 0.7747217, 0, -1, 0, 0, 2
	node_stack_back = 0, 0.7747217, 0.5740595, 0, 0, 1, 2
	node_stack_front = 0, 0.7747217, -0.5740595, 0, 0, -1, 2
	node_attach = 0, 0, 0, 0, -1, 0, 2

The next version of Pathfinder will have that as part of the fixes. I'm looking into the locked distribution resources next. I'm curious about the geothermal plant, water is a required resource so it shouldn't be distributed...

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Ok, found the issue with the Mk2 Switchback.

Ah, thanks :)

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

I'm curious about the geothermal plant, water is a required resource so it shouldn't be distributed...

Yeah, that's what bothered me.  I have a simple base set up with a central Conestoga used as a water tank, a Hacienda geothermal plant on 1 side, and a cooling tower on the other.  The Conestoga can hold just enough water to fill them both with a little extra.  When I was pumping water from the Conestoga into the Hacienta, I set the Hacienda as a distributor while I was at it (to send out EC).  Doing this caused water to be removed from the Hacienda periodically.  The pumping was still going on at this point, so the Hacienda would almost fill up, then lose about 1/4 of a tank, repeat.

Found another problem.  The Geology Lab (at least in its Casa incarnation) seems a bit broken.  When you click the Geolab button on its "Manage Operations" pane, the resulting screen is totally blank.  It doesn't even have a way to close it.  You can only close it by right-clicking the Geolab again, doing "Manage Operations", and closing that from any other page except the Geolab.

Also note that it says "Ponderosa" at the top instead of "Casa", which is what this really is.

GeoLab Busted

Edited by Geschosskopf

8 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Found another problem.  The Geology Lab (at least in its Casa incarnation) seems a bit broken.  When you click the Geolab button on its "Manage Operations" pane, the resulting screen is totally blank.  It doesn't even have a way to close it.  You can only close it by right-clicking the Geolab again, doing "Manage Operations", and closing that from any other page except the Geolab.

Also note that it says "Ponderosa" at the top instead of "Casa", which is what this really is.

@Geschosskopf: Ok, I'll look into the geolab soon as I'm able. I have a family thing to do this afternoon, but here is the latest Pathfinder dll. It should updates the resource distribution as follows:

If a part, such as the geothermal plant, has an active resource distributor and a resource (i.e. Water) required for a converter, then the resource will not be distributed.

If a part with an active resource distributor has a resource that is locked, then the resource will not be distributed.

If a part with an active resource distributor has a resource on the ignore list, then the resource will not be distributed.

If a part with an active resource distributor has a resource that is not a required resource and is unlocked, then it will be distributed.

How to add a resource to the ignore list:

MODULE
	{
		name = WBIResourceDistributor
		ignoreResources = ReplacementParts;GeoEnergy
	}

See if that helps. If it doesn't, please post your logs somewhere (if on this thread, please hide them) so I can take a look. :)

15 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

See if that helps. If it doesn't, please post your logs somewhere (if on this thread, please hide them) so I can take a look. :)

I'll give it a try.  Thanks for looking into this.

Found a couple of other things as well.

1.  The Prospector function of the Geolab isn't working.  It tells me it needs Ore, even though the paperwork all says it uses Dirt.

2.  There's a mismatch between the size of the KIS inventory screen of the Conestoga and how much stuff you can actually put in it.  The inventory screen is huge, covering much of the monitor, with hundreds of spaces shown.  However, it will only hold 4x KIS screwdrivers and 4x KAS pipe ends before saying it's full.  A Gaslight won't fit in at all.  So either the inventory screen is misleadingly large or the capacity (especially volume) is set too low.

EDIT:  BTW, in which file does that stuff about the IgnoreList go?

Edited by Geschosskopf

3 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

2.  There's a mismatch between the size of the KIS inventory screen of the Conestoga and how much stuff you can actually put in it.  The inventory screen is huge, covering much of the monitor, with hundreds of spaces shown.  However, it will only hold 4x KIS screwdrivers and 4x KAS pipe ends before saying it's full.  A Gaslight won't fit in at all.  So either the inventory screen is misleadingly large or the capacity (especially volume) is set too low.

What storage mode do you have the Conestoga in?  Due to the way KIS works (I think) the inventory screen has to be set up the same regardless of the inventory space if the inventory space of the part can vary.  (That is: The UI is static, even if if the capacity is dynamic.)

1 minute ago, DStaal said:

What storage mode do you have the Conestoga in?  Due to the way KIS works (I think) the inventory screen has to be set up the same regardless of the inventory space if the inventory space of the part can vary.  (That is: The UI is static, even if if the capacity is dynamic.)

That's probably it.  The Conestoga is a water tank so there's probably not much room for anything else.  But OTOH, I was surprised it had any inventory at all when not set to be a KIS container, so I was thinking maybe it had a dedicated storage space regardless of what its main contents were.

5 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

I'll give it a try.  Thanks for looking into this.

Found a couple of other things as well.

1.  The Prospector function of the Geolab isn't working.  It tells me it needs Ore, even though the paperwork all says it uses Dirt.

EDIT:  BTW, in which file does that stuff about the IgnoreList go?

The prospector takes Ore, not dirt, so the description is wrong. I'll fix that in the next update.

The ignoreList (now called resourceBlacklist) is used to prevent distribution of any resources that are on the blacklist. So for instance, USI-LS has ReplacementParts, which are used to determine the lifetime of the part. It makes no sense to distribute those resources. Similarly, the geothermal plant has GeoEnergy, which also should not be distributed. Things like Snacks, ElectricCharge, and so on should be distributed.

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

I think it does - but only a little.  :wink:

The Conestoga is able to carry a small amount of stuff even when configured as a resource storage unit. KIS doesn't really let me change the number of slots after launch, unfortunately.

Edited by Angel-125

Get 0.9.30 here

- Fixed attachment node issues with the Switchback 2
- Resource distribution will now correctly ignore resources that are locked or that are required by various converters. All resources in a part will be distributed if the distributor is active and the resource isn't required by a converter, isn't on the blacklist, and the resource is unlocked.
- Adjusted empty mass of the Hacienda to bring it in line with the other inflatable modules.
- Fixed an issue where the geology lab GUI wasn't showing up.
- Operations Managers now show the correct part name.

So, I just downloaded this today, because I loved the MOLE mod, and figured lets add this one and Buffalo too. :) I'm not seeing the issue Geschosskopf  had with the repeating switchbacks in the tech tree, but I am seeing a huge loss of FPS in the research screen since adding this and the Buffalo mod. It's not unplayable, nor am I really complaining, just wondering if anyone else has seen this issue as well?

Now that you mention it, could be. Not only a huge loss of FPS but RAM also, and I mean a disproportionate loss, happen to me a few days ago when I installed this mod along some others. The thing is that deleting them all doesnt seem to fix the issue.