Mars-one

EDF

The difference is that these guys will have food and (hopefully) will be provided with a means of getting oxygen from the martian atmosphere (if there even is oxygen in the martian atmosphere)

The atmosphere is mostly CO2, a system to separate it from the carbon would be needed...

The difference is that these guys will have food and (hopefully) will be provided with a means of getting oxygen from the martian atmosphere (if there even is oxygen in the martian atmosphere)

Everyone is leaving out the fact that Mars has no magnetic field. The radiation poisoning these astronauts will experience will kill them, and reproduction will be out of the question due to mutations. Unless they plan to send the super heavy radiation shields they wont last long.

The main issue I think lunar colonies won\'t work is the gravity; i\'m sure that people cannot survive in it for long periods. Maybe once we have some sort of protection for 0g space station crew we can talk about a moon colony. At least with mars it\'s quite a bit closer to 1G.

And these guys don\'t need any money from NASA, they don\'t even need that much if everything goes to plan. The main issue is that getting the living complex designed, tested and online before anyone arrives is going to be so much more than just buying the components. Nothing like that has ever been attempted by anyone, the costs of R&D to get it to a high enough level is way too much for an almost non existent company.

I think 1/6G is probably enough for humans to live reasonably healthily.

I can see where the Mars One idea is coming from - by initially sending only one Dragon, it simplifies the mission immensely. However, I think that if you were to send a couple of unmanned modules with life-support beforehand it\'d raise the odds of a successful mission considerably.

One thing that is worth mentioning - it\'s not QUITE as bad as some people may think. Because of the shape and the method of re-entering, we tend to assume Dragon is basically similar to other blunt-capsule spacecraft - the Soyuz, the Apollo and similar. But the cabin size of Dragon is quite a bit larger; it can accomodate seven people. We should think of the crew compartment as being more on a part with the Shuttle.

I\'d still rather have a lot more personal space than that to share with two others, but I can see that it\'s not as bad as people might think (especially if you have the equipment to perform EVA).

I quite like the idea and if I could, I would volunteer.

In the same way we don\'t allow medical experiments on live patients that would endanger their health. It\'s unethical. It\'s contrary to human dignity and human rights. It\'s assisting a very expensive suicide.

We give terminally ill people placebos during drug trials, that\'s essentially a death sentence. In fact, we routinely conduct experiment with new drugs and new types of surgery on people all the time. While I do agree that it might seem incredibly harsh to send people to another planet with no hope of getting back, I must say that they would not be forced and would only go there on their own accord, to tell them they couldn\'t volunteer because it is unethical is condescending and patronising, you are essentially saying that they aren\'t allowed to decide their own destiny.

The moon has an awful lot of materials, ilmenite and helium-3 among them. Ilmenite can be broken down into Oxygen and Titanium, accounting for a good bulk of the weight for rockets, and Helium-3 can be utilized as a fuel source.

This means that the only things we need to lift through Earth\'s atmosphere are the people, their food and water (a lot of weight there)

If the moon has water as some believe, then that will take care of the water problem, as well has providing more oxygen and hydrogen as a fuel.

I suppose if they never came back to Earth it wouldn\'t be a problem.

Even after 437 days in Mir Valeri Polyakov was able to walk from the landing module to a lawn chair, 'he wished to prove that humans could be physically capable of working on the surface of Mars after a long-duration transit phase.' which seems appropriate for this topic. Even after several examinations it was concluded that he was mentally and physically healthy. Obviously, the people on the Moon, if Lunar colonies were established, would be there for potentially longer times than that, but it\'s a step in the right direction that 437 days doesn\'t have a massive impact on cognitive function.

This happens ;D

That game looks like it has gone off on a tangent of what could have been a very good game. Of course it is still pre-alpha, but let\'s hope it has a first-person view and doesn\'t become some sort of Borderlands/Fallout-esque RPG and really focuses on the concept of being on another planet far away from Earth.

I\'m not sure why people aren\'t getting this, but on the site it says that before any humans land on mars, they will have six dragon capsules and two inflatable habitats waiting for them.

I\'m not sure why people aren\'t getting this, but on the site it says that before any humans land on mars, they will have six dragon capsules and two inflatable habitats waiting for them.

Yeah that\'s the important bit and also the area where everything will go wrong.

Even after 437 days in Mir Valeri Polyakov was able to walk from the landing module to a lawn chair, 'he wished to prove that humans could be physically capable of working on the surface of Mars after a long-duration transit phase.' which seems appropriate for this topic. Even after several examinations it was concluded that he was mentally and physically healthy. Obviously, the people on the Moon, if Lunar colonies were established, would be there for potentially longer times than that, but it\'s a step in the right direction that 437 days doesn\'t have a massive impact on cognitive function.

He could walk but his bones will have been in a terrible shape, the additional radiation will also have done a lot of damage. I think there are other parts of the body that deteriorate too such as the eyes. It\'s not just about walking back on earth but surviving long term.

I didn\'t mean for Humans to live there, there would be facilities there sure, but not a colony. Most of the work there would be done by robotics, after the factories were set up.

I do not think that it will be worth mining the moon for anything other than water/oxygen/hydrogen for centuries. Helium 3 is virtually worthless as a power source and many of the other resources do not warrant the high costs of development.

437 days is far less than a lifetime.

I wouldn\'t say centuries however, our advancements in regard to metallurgy has jumped just as much as our other technologies. Our knowledge of molecules and how to manipulate them has gone from zilch to splitting atoms in less than a century.

I would say decades at best, centuries as a worst case in advancement.

Realistically I would not expect any long term mining to happen until we have a space elevator, it just requires so much equipment to be sent up that any rocket technology we can conceive of at the moment would be too inefficient.

I think that the timeline for moon mining would be some initial proposals around the start of the elevators construction with a real start around 10 years after elevator completion.

Now the best case for the space elevator is early work starting in 2050 with completion 10-25 years after that. When i say best case there i mean the sort of best case that in the 70s would mean a moonbase or mars landing by now. Realistically the elevator may not be possible for a long time if at all and if it is then it has some serious political and business hurdles to overcome along with the engineering ones. Personally I expect to see construction start in my lifetime but not completion (i\'m 20 now).

Actually getting to the moon and colonizing it is much easier than it was 30 years ago, it still isnt easy but the space programs of the world have evolved significantly since then, especially NASA. Getting to Mars would be more challenging but much easier than 30 years ago. The comparison to America is ridiculous but a Mars colonization wouldn\'t be as bad as you make it out to be. First of all, the point of the project is to continuously grow the colony overtime so there wouldn\'t only be 2-3 people there forever. Secondly there is water on Mars, most of it sealed up in the poles, this would also be one of the most scientifically valuable places to be so they would likely land there. Therefore i doubt they would be drinking their own piss for the rest of their lives. The first colonists wouldn\'t have much to look for but if the colony were to grow many times that size for decades or centuries to come, i believe it will likely be a fairly habitable place to live.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.