What in the name of Jeb IS that???

ZooNamedGames

I got bored of sitting and piloting a plane for 40 minutes. I attempted to use HyperEdit to transport Bob's plane to the site. The plane stopped moving in midair. It didn't glide down. Or anything, except a constant 1.4m/s translation in a direction I couldn't discern because the movement was too slow and we were too high above the ground (about 5km). Anyway, I changed the plane's "orbit" to an eccentricity of 1. It "rounded" to 1.000001.

Bob's in an Aeris 3A, 867 kilometres above Kerbin. He's due to crash into the desert at three kilometres a second in about sixteen minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: Maximum speed was 2500.8m/s at 22.8 km. At 6km and 1500m/s I levelled the plane out and landed it. Bob survived and planted a flag that reads "Bob Survived Reentry at 2500.8m/s in an Aeris 3A". From what I saw, there isn't anything out there, the nearest Kerbal structures being the pyramids to the northwest, way out of the location range of the anomaly.

https://i.gyazo.com/53ff5efaaf37e53c24540999931aa510.png

Bob demands snacks for sending him on a "pointless" mission. :mad:(justkidding)

I'm looking around and I'm seeing nothing weird. Bob wonders if sand can be turned into snacks though. o_O

https://i.gyazo.com/37d97b112142678eaf7a7697a14defed.png

Hmm... I suggest trying this again at twilight, or dusk. So it's very dark, but there juuuussssttt enough sunlight to reflect off of any structures. I suggest this to all crews searching.

- - - Updated - - -

I got bored of sitting and piloting a plane for 40 minutes. I attempted to use HyperEdit to transport Bob's plane to the site. The plane stopped moving in midair. It didn't glide down. Or anything, except a constant 1.4m/s translation in a direction I couldn't discern because the movement was too slow and we were too high above the ground (about 5km). Anyway, I changed the plane's "orbit" to an eccentricity of 1. It "rounded" to 1.000001.

Bob's in an Aeris 3A, 867 kilometres above Kerbin. He's due to crash into the desert at three kilometres a second in about sixteen minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: Maximum speed was 2500.8m/s at 22.8 km. At 6km and 1500m/s I levelled the plane out and landed it. Bob survived and planted a flag that reads "Bob Survived Reentry at 2500.8m/s in an Aeris 3A". From what I saw, there isn't anything out there, the nearest Kerbal structures being the pyramids to the northwest, way out of the location range of the anomaly.

Impressive! Nice flying skills!

bug, glitches,programming or whatever it is,

we must find it.

also, are they old/removed eastereggs on kerbin? that might be a theory.

*slams the table* SQUAD! explain this!

i will send my not so hi-tech plane to this area.

calling all stunt pilots!

Edited by RandomRyan

we must find it.

I'll try to join you so I can prove it DOES exist!! Maybe help find WHAT it is.

- - - Updated - - -

we must find it.

I'll try to join you so I can prove it DOES exist!! Maybe help find WHAT it is.

These white blobs come from Distant Object Enhancement. It's not some mysterious stock easter egg.

Already discussed. We believe this is no glitch, although unseen yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Found nothing. I'm gonna send a scansat over the area and scan for anything unusual. I know the devs said they were gonna add a new easteregg

Best suggestion is to pass over the area at 70km and just at twilight/dawn. So it's mostly dark, but with just enough sunlight to illuminate any objects. Remember MAXIMUM LOW graphics!

Gonna ship over a rover and see what I can find.

Edit:

Did my best to replicate the conditions (setting/rising sun, re-entry, apparently backwards orbit) with the skybox dimmed out of existence. Saw nothing on the way down, and after some driving around gazing into the lack of stars, I still saw nothing.

If there was in fact some object there, its likely similar to the magic boulder.

Edited by FungusForge

well, this is something. finally magnifier helps

http://i.imgur.com/6d9ohf1.png

im speechless. one looks like a dagger and ome looks like stairs

http://i.imgur.com/z2vHLl6.png

Yeah, wrong side of the capsule. That's my SM and a separator with my heatsheild fairing. You can tell since the topmost object has two solar panels extending from it.

- - - Updated - - -

Gonna ship over a rover and see what I can find.

Edit:

Did my best to replicate the conditions (setting/rising sun, re-entry, apparently backwards orbit) with the skybox dimmed out of existence. Saw nothing on the way down, and after some driving around gazing into the lack of stars, I still saw nothing.

If there was in fact some object there, its likely similar to the magic boulder.

I swear this thing was real!!!

I flew a plane out there today, tried my best to find the spot by comparing a zoomed out view with the screenshots. The only notable feature I could find in the general area was a very small island in the middle of one of the pools (there are pools near the mark that aren't visible in the screenshots). The island was barely bigger than my Mk1 scout plane.

I landed at the lake, floated out to the island and panned the camera around a lot in wide views too, covering the rest of the local area out as far as the lake in the photo that's visible. There were one or two terrain render 'puckers' a bit to the east and what looked like a texture seam to the south, but no solid surface objects - not even terrain scatters.

I think we can put this to bed as a graphics glitch, whether caused by stock details or mods. Seriously, there's nothing there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.