[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Lately (pre-0.90) I was having trouble doing MJ controlled interplanetary burns. I've tried using everything except the advanced interplanetary transfer (that one confuses the hell out of me), using small/mid-sized probes that have anywhere upto 3km/s delta for their interplanetary burns; and I always end up short of fuel, whether I aim for Duna, Eve, or Moho.

I take the time to wait for optimal launch windows, from a 90-100km parking orbit around Kerbin, but every probe I send, usually somewhere after leaving Kerbin SOI, no matter how I try to use MJ, I can not seem to get a close enough approach to even get a slingshot orbit, let alone a new parking orbit. Could anyone explain the steps, or walk me through using MJ on these interplanetary burns?

After you do your initial transfer burn, schedule a fine tune burn. Enter the value of the altitude above the target planet that you want. (make it close but it doesn't matter because you probably won't get it)

You can schedule the burn even before you pass out of Kerbin (or other origin planet) SOI. It will be scheduled at around the midpoint of your journey or possibly earlier depending on your trajectory but it schedules it for the point where you'll need the least fuel to make the correction.

Yes, happens to me to. MechJeb ignores fuel lines IN THE EDITOR ONLY. If you go to the launch pad. Everything is as normal.

Confirmed here too. .90 install, no other mods but this v2.4.1, stock basic asparagus ship -- shows wrong in staging in VAB, shows right after moving to pad.

Everything else fine so far; thanks for all the work!

This is possible because the implementation of fuel lines has completely changed in 0.90. However, it would be helpful if you could provide an example craft, a screenshot of the deltaV window and a description of exactly what you think is wrong...

Yes, I've taken a quick look at the code and it appears that MJ is still trying to use the old style fuel lines so isn't correctly setting things up in the editor. Instead of using if (part is FuelLine) you need to look for a CompoundParts.CModuleFuelLine module and get the target part from that...

I would be quite for those restrictions, but for those that aren't can't you make a checkbox to turn them off?

I believe we already have something like such checkbox, it's called "sandbox mode".

I think it would be enough to make existing restrictions to depend on probe core models / pilots' skills rather than the tech tree nodes, with some additional tuning maybe.

Blocking modules that uses node is about fixing a bug, not changing the user experience. When you call node related code without the upgraded tracking station you get errors/exceptions. Adding a check box won't make them go away by magic.

Yes, I've taken a quick look at the code and it appears that MJ is still trying to use the old style fuel lines so isn't correctly setting things up in the editor. Instead of using if (part is FuelLine) you need to look for a CompoundParts.CModuleFuelLine module and get the target part from that...

I forgot to read the thread first, I have submitted a fix for the issue.

By the way we can't loot at CompoudParts, it is private.

I forgot to read the thread first, I have submitted a fix for the issue.

By the way we can't loot at CompoudParts, it is private.

Huh? CompoundParts is a namespace and we definitely can use things from it...

This is from the latest KER source. First a PartSim is created for each part and this is done in the constructor:

https://github.com/CYBUTEK/KerbalEngineer/blob/master/KerbalEngineer/VesselSimulator/PartSim.cs#L91

...and then later all the PartSims that are fuel lines get added to a list:

https://github.com/CYBUTEK/KerbalEngineer/blob/master/KerbalEngineer/VesselSimulator/Simulation.cs#L172-L175

...and then this list is scanned and the fuel targets set up:

https://github.com/CYBUTEK/KerbalEngineer/blob/master/KerbalEngineer/VesselSimulator/Simulation.cs#L193-L227

With the latest version of mechjeb

- I get a warning that it is not compatible with 0.9.

- I has no control functions, even in sandbox.

- It works in win64, but not win32.

Then you don't have the latest version. Go download dev build #360

Huh? CompoundParts is a namespace and we definitely can use things from it...

This is from the latest KER source. First a PartSim is created for each part and this is done in the constructor:

https://github.com/CYBUTEK/KerbalEngineer/blob/master/KerbalEngineer/VesselSimulator/PartSim.cs#L91

...and then later all the PartSims that are fuel lines get added to a list:

https://github.com/CYBUTEK/KerbalEngineer/blob/master/KerbalEngineer/VesselSimulator/Simulation.cs#L172-L175

...and then this list is scanned and the fuel targets set up:

https://github.com/CYBUTEK/KerbalEngineer/blob/master/KerbalEngineer/VesselSimulator/Simulation.cs#L193-L227

Well, there is a CompoundParts namespace and a CompoundPart class, which has a CompoundPartModule[] member. The CompoundParts.CModuleFuelLine object is in that private member but apparently we can access it through the part itself.

Both solutions seem to work, I'll let sarbian decide which code to integrate.

ok, but how was I suppose to know I need the dev version.

The same way any of us know. The same way I knew.

It was posted a few pages back followed by jubilant readers giving thanks for the quick update.

If you get in the habit of checking for new dev versions (and especially right after new KSP updates) then you won't have to worry about being left behind.

The same way any of us know. The same way I knew.

It was posted a few pages back followed by jubilant readers giving thanks for the quick update.

If you get in the habit of checking for new dev versions (and especially right after new KSP updates) then you won't have to worry about being left behind.

Actually, Sarbian posted about 2.4.1 being released as compatible with 0.90, I've not seen any recent mention of a dev version...

ok, but how was I suppose to know I need the dev version.

You don't need the dev version. What you need is a clean install of KSP because your problem sounds a lot like you have 2 MJ installed. Or Post a log so I can show you what you did wrong.

I confused about the numbering too.

The commit to update the version number in the stable branch doesn't get pushed to the development branch unless somebody manually merges it. This won't be the first transition where development has carried a lagging version number for a while because the maintainers have had bigger bugs to fry.

I like to use the Mechjeb AR202 part as a radially mountable probe core for stuff like my spent boosters. It looks like in .90 that part doesn't have any SAS functions, similiar to the Stayputnik. How could I edit the part.cfg to at least give the AR202 the same SAS functionality of the Probodobodyne pod?

The dev version is updated with the fuel line fix.

I also fixed the problem with the base tracking station. Some module will be hidden until you upgrade the station and some will disable some functions. Ascent AP will not circularize if the station is not upgraded. I added a message to the menu but I ll need to improve a bit on that. But that was a mess to fix and it is 1AM already here.

Edit : I also fixed the file version since it looked like a critical issue.

The dev version is updated with the fuel line fix.

I also fixed the problem with the base tracking station. Some module will be hidden until you upgrade the station and some will disable some functions. Ascent AP will not circularize if the station is not upgraded. I added a message to the menu but I ll need to improve a bit on that. But that was a mess to fix and it is 1AM already here.

Edit : I also fixed the file version since it looked like a critical issue.

I completly deleted the Mechjeb2folder in my gamedata folder, then I replaced it with the 363 version. Then I started up a game I had in progress. In that game I have both flight control and advanced flight control unlocked, and the tracking center fully upgraded. However when I launched a brand new craft. (Just a fuel tank with the AR-202 on it I made really quick) I noticed that the maneuver planner was not unlocked, even though I was able to use it when I had the 362 version installed.

I tried re-installing the 363 version 3 times. I have also tried shutting down KSP, deleting the MechJeb global settings .cfg then re-starting KSP. However I never got the maneuver planner to show up.

So I reverted back to the version 362 and now I have it back again.

I can provide logs if necessary. I haven't had any problems with the 362 build, so I think I will stick with that for a bit. I just figured I would let you know about this problem.

Edit: I did not try starting a brand new game, could my old save be the cause?

I'm having an issue where mostly everything works properly, but my maneuver planner window is missing. When I click on the button it just opens a little tiny square with nothing in it. I am running pure stock with just Mechjeb (installed from page 1) installed and nothing else.