[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Minor point to make on MechJeb in terms of the units of measurements. When traveling vertically or horizontally, the units are in meters, which is correct, but when traveling slower than 1m/s the units of measurements go down to mm, which stands for milimeters. Wouldn't it be centimeters instead of millimeters?

What's the problem ? Millimeters are 1/1000 meter or 1/10 centimeter. It's more precise if it's in millimeter.

Is there a way to force mechjeb to recognize an engine? I have a probe that's both engine and probe in one to reduce partcount for extreme range ships, but Mechjeb just tells me "NOT ENOUGH THRUST" to land when I get to the mun or any other body. Strangely, if I launch from kerbin and land on kerbin, it has enough thrust and recognizes happily.

I'm using 1.9.8

Edited by Tassyr

r4m0n:

I had a Hohhman tranfer the on the 18/04th which would have involved my Kerbalnauts having to canibilze each other to survive - is there any way you could get Mechjeb to determine that anything longer than 24 hours is a bit rediculous and make alternate plans.

I'm not sure how you expect that to work. If you're doing a transfer to Jool, for example, you'd better expect your time of flight to be measured in months, not hours. Maybe you could provide information about the exact circumstances of this transfer?

I'm not sure how you expect that to work. If you're doing a transfer to Jool, for example, you'd better expect your time of flight to be measured in months, not hours. Maybe you could provide information about the exact circumstances of this transfer?

The last time I send one of my Hermes probe to Jool, I had to wait for 44 days before getting a window ^^ Now I have to wait even more to reach Jool :P

Has anybody got the Land at Target to work properly ?

I can't get MechJeb 2 to work with the Land at Target mode at all. With the same craft, MechJeb 1.9.8 lands right on top of the target, but with 2.0.6, it starts spinning on all axes at the end of the initial deorbit burn.

In a previous version, I managed to get a decent deorbit burn with a proper prediction of the landing site, but then it screwed up the landing location during the braking burn.

Is there some fundamental simulation/model change that happens around 30000m? I have noticed that some of my craft designs (usually ones involving radial tanks + engines) will chose this altitude to perform a graceful flip and eventual spectacular disintegration.

The last time I send one of my Hermes probe to Jool, I had to wait for 44 days before getting a window ^^ Now I have to wait even more to reach Jool :P

You can bias it by manually plotting an exit burn to kerbin escape manually and then have it plot the transfer node. I've tried this and it put the transfer node out just before it would have left kerbin SOI.

Has anybody got the Land at Target to work properly ?

I can't get MechJeb 2 to work with the Land at Target mode at all. With the same craft, MechJeb 1.9.8 lands right on top of the target, but with 2.0.6, it starts spinning on all axes at the end of the initial deorbit burn.

In a previous version, I managed to get a decent deorbit burn with a proper prediction of the landing site, but then it screwed up the landing location during the braking burn.

I have found that quicksaving prior to initiating the landing sequence and then load the quicksave will get it to do the deorbit, course correction and braking burns right. Why this works, i've no clue. However, it still goes toes up right after it kills the last of the vertical velocity and is supposed to assume a 90/90 heading for final decent. Instead it starts twirling about like jeb lost his mind or something. Aborting and hitting land somewhere doesn't seem to help.

I've had to do the final manually or with the help of smart ass holding the 90/90 heading.

Docking autopilot is something that cause me most problems so far. I'm still useing combination of 2.0.6 and 1.9.8 because of remotetech and landing, which is cool, works fine, but that docking, man...

Docking is just so decreasing my game experience. So frustrating. I can get 5m away and then autopilot does nothing. And one would say ok then its easy to finish it manually, well its not when you have 2 FPS or less because your station is huge. :(

My biggest wish for the KSP plugin now is "cheat-mode" where I click two docking ports within 200m of each other and they will "magically" dock instantly when i push button, THAT would make me so much happier KSP player... :/

I have the same docking problem. I found that by giving a quick on and off of the throttle will wake it up and it will dock. I guess it needs to be moving forward.

Well that's not really useful for docking with ship with only RCS or engines pointed backwards, right?

Docking autopilot is something that cause me most problems so far. I'm still useing combination of 2.0.6 and 1.9.8 because of remotetech and landing, which is cool, works fine, but that docking, man...

Docking is just so decreasing my game experience. So frustrating. I can get 5m away and then autopilot does nothing. And one would say ok then its easy to finish it manually, well its not when you have 2 FPS or less because your station is huge. :(

My biggest wish for the KSP plugin now is "cheat-mode" where I click two docking ports within 200m of each other and they will "magically" dock instantly when i push button, THAT would make me so much happier KSP player... :/

I ORDA for docking. It seems to work pretty well. Manually dock is way painful, especially if your part count is high and the lag is bad.

Is there some fundamental simulation/model change that happens around 30000m? I have noticed that some of my craft designs (usually ones involving radial tanks + engines) will chose this altitude to perform a graceful flip and eventual spectacular disintegration.

Yes -- that's basically where atmospheric effects functionally end. My guess is that your rockets control fine aerodynamically, but when they lose the ability to use aerodynamic effects (i.e. only engine gimbel or RCS will control attitude), they go out of control. Could also be a center of gravity issue.

I ORDA for docking. It seems to work pretty well. Manually dock is way painful, especially if your part count is high and the lag is bad.

Yes that's pretty much last autopilot I haven't tested yet. So far 2 docking, but easy ones and it worked so... let's hope.

Question about Mechjeb 2: it ONLY comes with the AR202 case. Since I've modded probe cores to include mechjeb, would it still work for them, or do I need to change the code?

Question about Mechjeb 2: it ONLY comes with the AR202 case. Since I've modded probe cores to include mechjeb, would it still work for them, or do I need to change the code?

mj2 uses part modules so youd need to change the code for parts that used older versions of mj

Just to say thank you again. With the lack of a mission planner, and my inability to work the entire system in Calc/excel, this is a wonderful tool. I still switch to manual for some landings, launches or just fun, but ion probes and automated systems are so much more productive. :)

Is there a way to modify MechJeb to be able to fly horizontal VTOL craft?

Not sure, but could "hold altitude" work? You'd have to switch on/off the engines manually though.

Add the following to any .cfg file, and that part will become a MechJeb part:

MODULE

{

name = MechJebCore

}

just the fixes I was waiting for, R4m0n! thank you.

Now that Remote tech is also updated to work with MJ2 I will be loading both and restarting my universe... to Spaaaace!

Excellent, looking forward to testing it tonight. What is the proper method to mechjeb a pod btw? I've seen a couple of examples floating about that call out different modules. I've tried calling the modules in the existing parts but that doesn't seem to work as that is the root module.

Excellent, looking forward to testing it tonight. What is the proper method to mechjeb a pod btw? I've seen a couple of examples floating about that call out different modules. I've tried calling the modules in the existing parts but that doesn't seem to work as that is the root module.

If you already have a working pod, all you need to do is add MODULE { name = MechJebCore }