[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

@BARCLONE What is the starting altitude?

I've found that landing accuracy (without parachutes*) on Kerbin diminishes below 100 KM starting altitude. It'll either land just short or long of the VAB or pad. I recently did some VAB landing attempts from 80KM and several times it set down on the west edge of the roof, just missing the helipad. From 70+ KM it usually lands just to the west of the VAB but sometimes set down just to the east, on the "track" to the pad. Targeting the pad it usually sets down on the track just west of it but often goes a bit long.

Last time it managed a landing actually on the pad was from no lower than 100KM and luckily it didn't stick it dead center because I hadn't cleared off the launch clamps.

Here's one from Oct. 1, 2013 where MJ set the transfer stage back from Mun almost dead center on the pad, after quite a miss with the lander.

I've experienced generally higher accuracy on airless bodies. When targeting another craft on the surface it is best to manually edit the coordinates just a tad in case MJ goes for an ultra precise landing.

*The Kerbal engineer/janitors who work for Alan Aerospace Recycling and Packaging call parachutes "flimsy pieces of cloth" and only very grudgingly allowed some (only 6) to be used on the manned Eve lander. The rovers get by without any.

Edited by Galane

@BARCLONE What is the starting altitude?

I typically start at 200 km. Even when coming in from Mun or Minmus, or beyond Kerbin SOI, I settle into a 200 km orbit first, then do the LGAP. Right now, I'm trying to get my LKO Taxi to bring the guys home from a short hop around the block.

I've found that landing accuracy (without parachutes*) on Kerbin diminishes below 100 KM starting altitude. It'll either land just short or long of the VAB or pad. I recently did some VAB landing attempts from 80KM and several times it set down on the west edge of the roof, just missing the helipad. From 70+ KM it usually lands just to the west of the VAB but sometimes set down just to the east, on the "track" to the pad. Targeting the pad it usually sets down on the track just west of it but often goes a bit long.

My taxi is a familiar "Apollo-style" CSM, currently using the new Odin II pod. I've added the MJ module to the pod, so I don't have to use the AR202. The desired entry is standard fare -- I select PAD most of the time, then manually change the second group of numbers to 71.30.00, to put the target east of the pad. Then I engage the LGAP and let it run until the ship reaches 69 km, where I disengage LGAP and use SA to point the ship -RAD (nose-down). I then punch off the SM and set SA to RET GRADE until the re-entry plasma starts to form, then I go KILL ROT and let the ship drop. I'm using RealChutes with the trigger altitude at 12.5 km, so it deploys automatically. Using this sequence, I've generally dropped down on top of the center or just off the edge of the cape in the water.

More often than not, my landings on non-atmosphere bodies work fine. Landings on Moho have been problematic, though. It's been a long time since I've tried landing out there, so I can't say right now what my results will be. I just want to get my home-bound pods to do a proper entry; I don't mind having to shift the terminus eastward like I described, it's the weird behavior with the fine-tuning burn that bugs me.

1st:read OP!

2nd:what is your mod list?

3rd and beyond:If you started fresh install with KSP and MJ only,all should work just fine.This is common question addressed on this thread many times. My experience is,when MJ didn't work was because mod conflict!The main culprit was RPM(my experiance,RPM shoud work now(not shure i don't use it))! You can always try MJ with toolbar plugin.

Sorry, I guess I didn't look hard enough, since I couldn't find it.

My mod list is a little large:

Toolbar, CrewManifest, Distant Object Enhancement, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, Kethane, Lazor Docking Cam, Mk2 pit IVA Re-texture, Crew Manifest, TweakableEverything, That World Cup mod (and module manager)

The only mods that show up at all are World Cup, Kethane, CrewManifest and DOE (and toolbar, of course)

OK, I'll try a fresh install. Thanks.

Edit: I tried a 100% Fresh install, but with no prevail. Any additional suggestions?

Edited by NeatCrown

Try to instal only KSP,toolbar(latest version)and MJ(latest dev build look for sarbain's post and dowload from there),run the game.Then you need to use MJ part((pod or AR202)preferring pod because is command module),go to launchpad and click the down pointing arrow on toolbar and select configure visible buttons(my guess is you should see MJ tab on right side just under resources).Now when MJ works add your mods and see who is the culprit.In my game MJ works just fine,but i don't use Lazor docking cam,i had lazor plugin and weapons mod with no conflict.

Edited by sebi.zzr

NeatCrown sounds like possible out of program/data memory during loading (as opposed to texture memory). However, if you haven't, test in sandbox mode, in case some of those mods are not compatable with carreer mode, or require a particular part not available yet in a carreer mode game.

First back up the saves you value (always do this, and you don't have to bother with the saves you don't value.)

Next, download all the latest versions of all your mods. This will reduce any issues.

Now, try to install mods one at a time. Start with Mechjeb and then toolbar, since Mechjeb is the one you are concerned about. Make sure to install the latest module manager when you encounter your first mod using it, and delete all older versions of module manager. Also, do not install versions of the toolbar api that ship with mods this causes version conflicts within the toolbar plugin. When you run into the problem again, remove the last mod, then install the Active Texture Management mod. (This will reduce the memory usage of texture intensive plugins) then reinstall the problem mod. If that works, continue reinstalling your mods.

I repeat, back up your save before doing this, because if you accidentally load your game with a mod part missing, KSP will delete all active crafts that contain that part! So, if you care about the save file, back it up.

Try to instal only KSP,toolbar(latest version)and MJ(latest dev build look for sarbain's post and dowload from there),run the game.Then you need to use MJ part((pod or AR202)preferring pod because is command module),go to launchpad and click the down pointing arrow on toolbar and select configure visible buttons(my guess is you should see MJ tab on right side just under resources).Now when MJ works add your mods and see who is the culprit.In my game MJ works just fine,but i don't use Lazor docking cam,i had lazor plugin and weapons mod with no conflict.
NeatCrown sounds like possible out of program/data memory during loading (as opposed to texture memory). However, if you haven't, test in sandbox mode, in case some of those mods are not compatable with carreer mode, or require a particular part not available yet in a carreer mode game.

First back up the saves you value (always do this, and you don't have to bother with the saves you don't value.)

Next, download all the latest versions of all your mods. This will reduce any issues.

Now, try to install mods one at a time. Start with Mechjeb and then toolbar, since Mechjeb is the one you are concerned about. Make sure to install the latest module manager when you encounter your first mod using it, and delete all older versions of module manager. Also, do not install versions of the toolbar api that ship with mods this causes version conflicts within the toolbar plugin. When you run into the problem again, remove the last mod, then install the Active Texture Management mod. (This will reduce the memory usage of texture intensive plugins) then reinstall the problem mod. If that works, continue reinstalling your mods.

I repeat, back up your save before doing this, because if you accidentally load your game with a mod part missing, KSP will delete all active crafts that contain that part! So, if you care about the save file, back it up.

The thing is that I always use sandbox mode. With the fresh test install, I put MJ in there by itself. And with the toolbar mod, MJ isn't even an option.

The thing is that I always use sandbox mode. With the fresh test install, I put MJ in there by itself. And with the toolbar mod, MJ isn't even an option.

Did you configure the toolbar and enable the MJ options you want to appear?

By external you mean something in "Program Files" ? Don't run KSP from there, windows will block the mods dll from loading.

Steam installs KSP under Program Files (x86), and I haven't had any trouble with .dll loading. (Windows 8.1)

By external you mean something in "Program Files" ? Don't run KSP from there, windows will block the mods dll from loading.

The peculiar thing that happened was that before a fresh KSP (About 1 1/2 weeks ago), mods worked 100% while in "Program Files (x86)" (But thanks for the information)

The peculiar thing that happened was that before a fresh KSP (About 1 1/2 weeks ago), mods worked 100% while in "Program Files (x86)" (But thanks for the information)

Never know when a 'security' update to Windows may cause problems for one or more programs.

Here's a solution. http://www.preyerplanning.com/take-ownership-of-entire-hard-drive-in-windows-7.pdf (I used it on my boot drive and did not have to reinstall Windows 7, but you never know when drastic changes like this may make a big mess.)

It can also be used on any folder and all the files and subfolders in it. Try it on your KSP folder in Program Files (x86). There are many other sites with *part* of that procedure but unless you go through ALL the steps it may not work, depending on how screwed up the permissions are.

A quick way to tell if you have messed up permissions in a place you should have full access is to is right click then hover over New. If the only thing under New is New Folder, the permissions on that folder are screwed up, or you are logged in with a restricted account. Create a New Folder then open it and right click again. If you still get only New Folder in a folder you've created, then the permissions are really messed up.

Can anyone please help me?

I'm trying to use MechJeb for the first time and it's getting frustrating. I want to set up this to launch a rocket to 1199 apo and peri in a polar orbit. Everything I do results in a crash of the rocket.

How can I do this please?

I'm trying to use MechJeb for the first time and it's getting frustrating. I want to set up this to launch a rocket to 1199 apo and peri in a polar orbit. Everything I do results in a crash of the rocket.

You need a very large rocket for that. Polar orbits are no laughing matter. You also need strong connections in any staging as mechjeb is not kind when turning or thrusting. Other than that, who knows. You haven't given much info. Perhaps a screenshot of your rocket on the launchpad and the mechjeb ascent window?

Maybe I could help. It could just be a fault in your rocket design. You might be controlling it while the navball is pointing down (orange) - meaning that a docking port, a module or a probe that you're controlling the craft while it's "upside down" (from the program's perspective) It happened to me a few times aswell, but noticed after the rocket crashed a few times.

I figured it out, thanks anyways guys. Was the navigation node window I was using instead of ascent control. But does the auto pilot fire the rockets if there's no ground control connection? And is it possible to set up 4 comm sats using mechjeb?

CRAP!!! It doesn't.

Edited by Furious1964

So having stared at the old ASAS for months I've finally made it useful! I added mechjeb to it :P This seems fair to me and without the OPness of adding it to all pods, it also ties with the fact it's supposed to have a flight computer. I am wondering if to move it later in the tech tree though.

Is there any way to stop Mechjeb maneuvering when staging during a launch? If it's a complicated design and the rocket pitches during staging it can take out an engine bell or two.

It HAS to have a flight computer?

I thought it just needed the mechjeb box.

People don't like having to add the physical box - they prefer to think of MechJeb as a software system, rather than hardware.

People don't like having to add the physical box - they prefer to think of MechJeb as a software system, rather than hardware.

Says you. I'm fine with the box. There's also some other alternate models that look good.

It HAS to have a flight computer?

I thought it just needed the mechjeb box.

This was more to have an inline mechjeb module I could have made a separate mod but as I thought the IAS with it's listed "flight computer" (ie the fact it used to have sas) made it a good fit without me having to kitbash a 3d model.

In my case it's more I was tired of watching it explode when doing DRE re-entries with an engine based heatshield...

Edited by marach