[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

I wanted to drop by and say that the latest version, works just fine for me at 64bit.

@Stealth17 You should post some more details, where exactly is your problem? Otherwise i dont think anybody can guess what could be wrong, right?

A few tips out of my magic hat are : Try again on a fresh vanilla copy and see if it works (sometimes a mod we think is good is the culprit), make sure you install it at the correct location (sometimes haste makes these situations), last i can think of is making sure of the Jeb version you got. Quoting softweir from a few posts above, the Latest Dev Build is v2.3.0.266

Apologies, upon retesting with only mechjeb and module manager it seems to work fine in 64bit. Earlier testing had crashing stopping after removing MJ so as has been suggested elsewhere it might be a conflict between MJ and firespitter. No big deal until firespitter gets updated and it weirdly works fine in 32bit. Oh well.

I'm experimenting with MechJeb (latest GitHub) on 0.24, and it seems to be able to control everything _except_ the throttle. All attitude changes, etc., work fine, but burns never throttle up. Anyone else seeing this?

-c

Okay. So. To expand on that a little:

This is on Windows x64 version, with mods stripped all the way back to just the latest 0.24 compatible versions of Toolbar, ModuleManager, and MechJeb, with the ModuleManager config to add MechJeb functionality to all command pods.

In Career mode:

* All MechJeb functionality appears immediately, although per the above MM config, various modules shouldn't be unlocked until further nodes down the tech tree are unlocked.

* In using said functionality, throttle control doesn't work if a module, not necessarily the one I'm using, requiring it would not have been unlocked; certainly not in either Ascent Guidance or Maneuver Planner, the two I've tried so far. That is to say, the throttle control in Ascent Guidance starts working if I give myself enough science to unlock the Translatron.

In sandbox mode, everything works as expected.

I'm guessing what this means is that there's either some necessary change in the MechJeb-for-all MM config as of 0.24, or else there's a bug somewhere in the code that should be preventing all the not-unlocked modules from showing up on the Toolbar. Since, now I check, they don't show up on MJ's own menu/main window, the latter seems more likely to me.

Thoughts?

-c

Cool! An updated version of MJ. It works fine (so far) in sandbox mode, but can someone please give me a hand how to edit the config file so I can make certain features available from the start in career mode? I used to edit the techrequired/unlocktech parameters to start, but that doesn't work anymore.

MJ version 2.3.0.0

EDIT: I figured it out :)

Edited by Galileo Kerbonaut

You guys are lucky I'm not a mod. I'd go nuclear on some post :sealed:

Cerebrate : thanks for the info. There may be a change with the research related code in ksp. I did not test that part

When you say "All MechJeb functionality appears immediately" do you mean in the toolbar only or in MJ right side menu too ?

You guys are lucky I'm not a mod. I'd go nuclear on some post :sealed:

Cerebrate : thanks for the info. There may be a change with the research related code in ksp. I did not test that part

When you say "All MechJeb functionality appears immediately" do you mean in the toolbar only or in MJ right side menu too ?

Just in the toolbar. In the menu, as far as I can tell, only the modules that I've unlocked appear.

What is your MM config file that adds MechJeb to your command pods and probs?

This:

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebCore]]:Final{
MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
MechJebLocalSettings
{
MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor
{
unlockTechs = flightControl
}
MechJebModuleSmartASS
{
unlockTechs = flightControl
}
MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner
{
unlockTechs = advFlightControl
}
MechJebModuleNodeEditor
{
}
MechJebModuleTranslatron
{
}
MechJebModuleWarpHelper
{
}
MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment
{
}
MechJebModuleThrustWindow
{
}
MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow
{
}
MechJebModuleRoverWindow
{
unlockTechs = fieldScience
}
MechJebModuleAscentGuidance
{
unlockTechs = unmannedTech
}
MechJebModuleLandingGuidance
{
}
MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance
{
}
MechJebModuleDockingGuidance
{
unlockTechs = advUnmanned
}
MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow
{
}
MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance
{
}
}
}
}

-c

Edited by Cerebrate
formatting fix

Those extra newlines you put in may be causing problems, remove them and use the stock code from AR202 part without any additional formatting.

P.S. Now that I'm thinking about it. Does the AR202 part work like it is suppose to when you add it to a ship?

Edited by Farix

Those extra newlines you put in may be causing problems, remove them and use the stock code from AR202 part without any additional formatting.

P.S. Now that I'm thinking about it. Does the AR202 part work like it is suppose to when you add it to a ship?

I just removed the MM config and tested it with just the part. Exact same problem occurs.

-c

Okay. So. To expand on that a little:

This is on Windows x64 version, with mods stripped all the way back to just the latest 0.24 compatible versions of Toolbar, ModuleManager, and MechJeb, with the ModuleManager config to add MechJeb functionality to all command pods.

In Career mode:

* All MechJeb functionality appears immediately, although per the above MM config, various modules shouldn't be unlocked until further nodes down the tech tree are unlocked.

* In using said functionality, throttle control doesn't work if a module, not necessarily the one I'm using, requiring it would not have been unlocked; certainly not in either Ascent Guidance or Maneuver Planner, the two I've tried so far. That is to say, the throttle control in Ascent Guidance starts working if I give myself enough science to unlock the Translatron.

In sandbox mode, everything works as expected.

I'm guessing what this means is that there's either some necessary change in the MechJeb-for-all MM config as of 0.24, or else there's a bug somewhere in the code that should be preventing all the not-unlocked modules from showing up on the Toolbar. Since, now I check, they don't show up on MJ's own menu/main window, the latter seems more likely to me.

Thoughts?

-c

I have tried this in a fully moded (too may to list) install and a few mod (Kosmos, kw) and using version 2.3.0.266-266 does not work at all under 32 or 64-bit. Nothing shows up. Tidbit to note: it worked under the 64-bit hack with no problem

I have tried this on x64, Steam version and I get a disabled/broken error in the main menu from RSS and MechJeb (downloaded the latest version from first page). But MechJeb actually works fine in-game. In the x32 version I am not getting the error at the start. I do however encounter a crash when loading a save game: here is my post regarding that: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/86565-Launching-64-bit-through-Steam?p=1279909&viewfull=1#post1279909

Might be MechJeb or RSS related, I can't tell.

Cool! An updated version of MJ. It works fine (so far) in sandbox mode, but can someone please give me a hand how to edit the config file so I can make certain features available from the start in career mode? I used to edit the techrequired/unlocktech parameters to start, but that doesn't work anymore.

MJ version 2.3.0.0

EDIT: I figured it out :)

If you figured it out, why not share the solution, knowing that others might have the same issue?

At first blush, everything appears to be working with the latest version of mechjeb and .24 x64. However, I'm having issues with the actual usage of some of the modules.

In career mode x64, haven't yet tested in other situations, Ascent Guidance and Orbital info are both not functioning properly. During ascent, when I reach to portion of the orbit where you coast out of the atmosphere, orbital info shows the expected time to Ap and an Ap height of the entered orbital target altitude. However, the craft reaches an Ap lower than designated and well before the predicted time to Ap and the craft will start to lose altitude, with the Ascent Guidance still thinking you are merrily gaining altitude toward the next burn and the Orbital Info window still telling you you are one course for Ap.

Could squad have changed some of the orbital physics or atmospheric drag at high altitude? Could that be throwing the mechjeb numbers off?

I'll try to test in 32 bit to see if it might be a 64 bit peculiarity. Could others test these as well?

mechjeb2\parts\\MechJeb2_AR202\part.cfg

Locate and replace unlockTechs = SOMETHING with unlockTechs = flightcontrol, as below.

MODULE

{

name = MechJebCore

MechJebLocalSettings {

MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = flightControl }

MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = flightControl }

MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = flightControl }

MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = flightControl }

MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = flightControl }

MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = flightControl }

MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = flightControl }

MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = flightControl }

MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = flightControl }

MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = flightControl }

MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = flightControl }

MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = flightControl }

MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = flightControl }

MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = flightControl }

MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = flightControl }

MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = flightControl }

}

}

Go to end of the cfg file,

Find TechRequired =

replace the required tech with flightcontrol

This should give you full functioning mechjeb ar202 part when you have researched flight control tech.

mechjeb2\parts\\MechJeb2_AR202\part.cfg

Locate and replace unlockTechs = SOMETHING with unlockTechs = flightcontrol, as below.

Go to end of the cfg file,

Find TechRequired =

replace the required tech with flightcontrol

This should give you full functioning mechjeb ar202 part when you have researched flight control tech.

Is the start tech just called "start" ?

EDIT:

Something isn't working. I've tried setting to basicRocketry, and other techs, and it's still not working

Edited by lekkimsm2500