What new science experiments would you like to see in Version 1.1?

Birdco_Space

Yet another for basically make DMagic stock.

And the whole system would benefit from an overdo. More variety in how experiments are run, cases where some experiments partly duplicate their work and others synergise to make discoveries neither could make alone, that kind of thing.

I think that there is no need for new go there, push button and get a new fancy oneliner and couple of points -experiments. Squad should do some kind of exploration system. Procedurally generated points and areas of special interest, which you have to found by yourself. Some could need surface exploration and some could be possible to detect from orbit. But in any case, you should have to use time and do something on target bodies. If procedural generation would be based on seed number (like for example Minecraft) there could be one official world same for everybody and practically unlimited number of worlds for those who does not want to remember everything after the first game.

Magnetometers and cameras/telescopes.

Also an in-game sort of archive, where you would view the pictures and share them with the world for a small bit of reputation. Just like NASA posts their Hubble/Cassini/New Horizon/Dawn pictures on facebook and other social media.

And the telescope could do the same, except it would generate randomly combined bits to create nebulas' or galaxies', or star clusters' pictures with a bit of inormation of what is going on in the pic with proper scientific terms.

I would be actually really happy with low-res animations of pulsars rotating.

Edited by Veeltch

I think that there is no need for new go there, push button and get a new fancy oneliner and couple of points -experiments. Squad should do some kind of exploration system. Procedurally generated points and areas of special interest, which you have to found by yourself. Some could need surface exploration and some could be possible to detect from orbit. But in any case, you should have to use time and do something on target bodies. If procedural generation would be based on seed number (like for example Minecraft) there could be one official world same for everybody and practically unlimited number of worlds for those who does not want to remember everything after the first game.

Although I dislike the idea of a randomized solar system, I too think that scientific exploration should be somehow more interwoven with the contract system - might need to open up contracts in science mode, just without the financial part of it - and use more time based expeditions (e.g. make use of the mobile lab, requiring it to stay manned and powered for a certain time in a specific location/orbit), which might also be accomplished via the contract system.

This would be quite different from just endlessly producing science points in timewarp.

Then we might come to the point that new and more animated gizmos to click actually added to the game again by diversfying the equipment necessary for a certain expedition.

Edited by KerbMav

For me the most important changes they could make to the science system are:

2. Make experiments matter, by giving you information that's useful for future missions

The blurbs are fun, but add nothing to the game itself. Real-life experiments often make future missions easier or possible. From mapping a landing site in great detail to revealing the make-up of Martian soil (useful for ISRU), experiments often show us better/other ways to go ahead with a future mission.

Adding to that: Why not leave hidden clues (as anomalies) that lead to the discovery of new celestial bodies, and the player can gain science points from visiting and exploring those bodies once they are discovered?

I mean, right now, all of the explorable bodies (except asteroids) and their orbits are well known in advance, 'finding' new, smaller, bodies with, for example, an orbital telescope would be a nice addition to a career-like science progression.

If it were up to me, it would also mean having ancient alien artifacts on planets like Eve or Duna that reveal new celestial bodies with exotic orbits, but Squad already said there would never be other civilizations in the stock game except Kerbals.

A camera is the most-basic science experiment and does not exist yet, it should!

I clicked this thread expressly to add to this point. Imaging is the Primary science of probes beyond mere transmission. There should be a way to conduct imaging science, and to a more and more refined degree as technology improves, which would then appropriately modify your working planetary maps. THIS, would be a Major boon.

Here's hoping some others have chimed in upon this point as I read deeper into the thread...

I would like a stockalikified asteroid day telescope (and the other parts, but they're not scientific) except you can't discover asteroids everywhere, only in certain places. There would be some Near Kerbin Asteroids, but most would be near Dres. Also, some orbiting around Jool.

This still counts as science because there's a science experiment to go with it, right? If there's not, there should be one.

- - - Updated - - -

A camera is the most-basic science experiment and does not exist yet, it should!

And yes, it should.

- - - Updated - - -

Things that actually reflect real science gathering, not "silly" stuff like mystery goo or whatever. Dirt scoops, core drills, magnetometers, cameras, geiger counters, alpha-particle x-ray spectrometers, and so on. In short, basically the DMagic science pack. Perhaps somewhere between that and "realistic but fictional" science, ala the gravioli detector.

And some of this stuff, like the dirt scoops. The core drills can be added to the existing drills. Don't know about the other stuff. I'm fine with the mystery goo, though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.