The Sixx: Kerbin's first tech level 6 SSTO Spaceplane!

Sixx_zpsywtd8ard.jpg

(apologies for the poor pic quality)

Sixx2_zpsd9mwmtxi.jpg

Tech level 6 spaceplanes are now possible thanks to the Panther and Mk.1 Crew cabins.

Unfortunately, the Mk.1 docking port doesn't arrive until level 7, so it'll only be useful for EVA transfers.

Release the hounds!

-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

Really interesting. Have been playing with SSTOs a bit in 1.0.5, good results with Mk1 parts and the TRJ/LV-N combination but have not been able to do it with the Panther. Can you report your speed/altitude (1) when you went to afterburners and (2) when you turned on the LV-909s? Thanks!

GoSlash, I have re-created your craft (more or less), and it seems that Panther is unable to bring the vessel to any decent speed and altitude, even with afterburner on. That is, in 1.0.5. Other than that, your space plane is gorgeous.

GoSlash, I have re-created your craft (more or less), and it seems that Panther is unable to bring the vessel to any decent speed and altitude, even with afterburner on. That is, in 1.0.5. Other than that, your space plane is gorgeous.

aluc24,

It is as goomblah says; the Panther won't get you any more than 800- 900 m/sec before it craps out. The rest is done on LF&O.

The Whiplash and RAPIER are clearly preferable engines, but they're not available at tech level 6.

Best,

-Slashy

- - - Updated - - -

Really interesting. Have been playing with SSTOs a bit in 1.0.5, good results with Mk1 parts and the TRJ/LV-N combination but have not been able to do it with the Panther. Can you report your speed/altitude (1) when you went to afterburners and (2) when you turned on the LV-909s? Thanks!

Kuzzter,

I rode the Panther in military thrust up to about 290 m/sec, then engaged the afterburner up to about 850 m/sec. After that, I engaged the Terriers and manually transferred the fuel outboard.

The whole profile was executed at about 10° pitch.

Best,

-Slashy

Level 6 Tech seems so unambitious.

How about Level 4 tech (if the starter tech is counted as level 1)? I couldn't get lower-tech than this, mostly because I needed the wheels.

The fore (misspelt in honour of 'The Sixx')

f2us4JRl.png

Craft on dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2m0fx398cj5f5q/The%20Fore.craft?dl=0

Relies on falling off the end of the runway to launch. Rotate to and hold a 60-degree ascent until T-30 burns-out (~13km altitude). After that I staged to the LV-909s and let MJ take it on its standard rocket ascent. After de-orbit burn I held 35-degree pitch and 180-degree roll (on its back) to protect the gear and battery from heat. Once velocity is under 1km/s you can revert to normal flight. NB: balanced to glide without any fuel.

Edit: Since made a canard version of this, moving the elevators behind the decoupler and putting the rear gear right by the T-30, main wings adjusted to balance. This reduces the risk of tailstrike on takeoff and landing and seems to have better directional stability on the runway too. Takeoff with such a version is; rotate initially to 30-degrees at 120-130m/s velocity rather than when falling off the end of the runway. Nevertheless, it's neither as useful or as good-looking as Slashy's, of course, just pointing out that it can be done.

Edited by Pecan

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2015, 7:40:07, GoSlash27 said:

aluc24,

It is as goomblah says; the Panther won't get you any more than 800- 900 m/sec before it craps out. The rest is done on LF&O.

The Whiplash and RAPIER are clearly preferable engines, but they're not available at tech level 6.

Best,

-Slashy

- - - Updated - - -

Kuzzter,

I rode the Panther in military thrust up to about 290 m/sec, then engaged the afterburner up to about 850 m/sec. After that, I engaged the Terriers and manually transferred the fuel outboard.

The whole profile was executed at about 10° pitch.

Best,

-Slashy

Hey Slash, I have tried your spaceplane one more time, and I just can't get it work. You said your ascent profile is 10° pitch all the way, engaging afterburner at 290m/s? Well, with dry mode, that single Panther doesn't reach anywhere near that speed. The speed starts dropping at 190m/s.

What's the secret? Are any of fuel tanks not full? Maybe you could upload your craft file, please?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.