Silent Update or how I lost my best Kerbal because of Microsoft...

Galenmacil

Something happened yesterday that changed both the OS I use and my KSP experience: In a rather bad way.

You know the drill: [insert any big software company name here] deploy a major update for their operating system... So, you read on it to be sure you know the basics and what changes to expect. I my case, that was Microsoft Windows 10 November 14 update. The information on the internet was pointing mostly at minor fixes: visual tweaks, blah blah blah... The usual Microsoft way of "upgrading" something. But deep inside. In my "guts". I could feel that they probably secretly changed a lot of other things too...

But what is the link between Windows 10 update and losing a Kerbal?

You see, I am a tweak freak. I tweak things. Well, I tweak software mostly. I mod, I customize, I set, I define macros... Probably like a lot of other "power user". So, as you might have guessed, I play KSP with a lot of mods. Last time I checked I had more than 90 installed with a lot of them tweaked in one way or another. Among those mods, there is one called "Advanced Fly By Wire". Basically, an advance controller configuration utility. The Xbox One for Windows controller I use had all of it's button assigned to very specific KSP function. One of these function was the "Abort" action... and the specific button assigned to it was the big "Xbox Jewel" button.

So here I am. Flying that "Albatross Vee" aircraft. An easy one to fly. I explore Kerbin with it and, when I need to land, say, to perform an experiment on the surface, I use the "Abort" action: I defined it so that it stops both engines and deploy the COM centered chute. When timed correctly with a forced stall, you can land very close to any target provided it is on level ground. I had done that several times. As usual my best Kerbal pilot was in the cockpit.

Little did I knew that "under the hood" Microsoft had secretly decided to ruin my day! I can picture the scene: Several senior programmers, in a small room, talking about the next changes they are going to include in Windows 10. One of them, in a desperate attempt to get credibility among it's peers and in a bright flash of pure inspiration says: "Let's disable the Xbox controller jewel button! They don't need it and, let's be honest, nobody use it anyway. Beside, this could help tremendously in increasing the whole system performance and responsiveness..."

And so they did. No more "guide" button for the masses to use. In a tyrannical and bold move, Microsoft prove, once again, they are committed to secretly ruin your experience. So much for improvements... and this is only the tip of the iceberg.

P.S: As some reader probably noticed, this text, while being based on actual events, contain a fair amount of sarcasms.

Yup. This is precisely why I'm staying on Windows 7 for my virtual machines. I've also disabled automatic updates, as I've had it screw hardware drivers really hard. I have a proprietary motorcycle diagnostics box, SCSI-based scanner, an old Printronix printer and other things to support. These are devices that are expensive and important, but no new drivers are available.

Note that Microsoft has put out at least 3 updates to Windows 7 to try to automatically download Windows 10, and marked these as recommended and important so they would be installed when set to automatic updates. Not only does it chew up your disk space and network bandwidth, but then it runs a program specifically designed to have you accidentally allow it to install Windows 10 if you have a dumb-thumb moment with the mouse.

Windows 10 has screwed a lot of my friends too, but at least it means I get a lot of nice dinners for reverting their machines back to Windows 7.

The [huge database company] I work for has also decided "no Windows 8 or 10 thank-you-very-much" for the foreseeable future and is testing out moving to Linux and Libre Office. So Microsoft has managed to chase off a very large customer.

I use Debian as my day-to-day OS, so it's not a problem there.

Still, completely disabling an important function on a device is just plain unforgivable.

This is why I haven't updated to Windows 10: because it's still full of weird bugs.
[SIZE=1]
Although I would say Windows 8 is underrated. It boots up [B]really[/B] quickly. And although the start screen is fairly useless for non-touchscreen devices, it's easy to turn it off and boot straight to the desktop. Add a start menu mod and it's basically Windows 7 but faster. Not trying to start an argument here, this is just my opinion.

[SIZE=2]EDIT: Not that I'm saying there's anything wrong with updating, but the option to update didn't jump out at me like it did for most people. I didn't have any particular reason to update, and I suspected it would be very buggy at first, so I never bothered hunting for it, and I'm happy with 8.1[/SIZE]
[/SIZE] Edited by TheMoonRover

As always, I stopped reading at "Windows"

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Though, I think the mods might close this thread if we get too hateful to windows.

[quote name='Alshain']I downgraded back to Windows 7 almost immediately after installing Windows 10. You just can't improve perfection.[/QUOTE]

Perfection was lost with DOS, though even that name was stollen by MS. DOS was Disk Operating System before MS bought one from someone for a fraction of it's value to use on IBM's new "PC" which was Personal Computer before IBM tried to jump on the TRS-80 market.

[quote name='GeneCash']...

Note that Microsoft has put out at least 3 updates to Windows 7 to try to automatically download Windows 10, and marked these as recommended and important so they would be installed when set to automatic updates. Not only does it chew up your disk space and network bandwidth, but then it runs a program specifically designed to have you accidentally allow it to install Windows 10 if you have a dumb-thumb moment with the mouse.

...[/QUOTE]

There is a way to do away with all of the Windows 10 fuss...

[code][B]Computer Configuration[/B]
To block the upgrade by using Computer Configuration, follow these steps
Click Computer Configuration.
Click Policies.
Click Administrative Templates.
Click Windows Components.
Click Windows Update.
Double-click Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update.
Click Enable.

[/code]

Or, you can disable it via the Registry (edit the registry via 'regedit /v'), which is what I did (Win8.1 on this laptop)...

[code]Subkey: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade = 1[/code]

After you've done this, you can go in and uninstall the "GWX" program which is the offer download program, and that will remove the icon from the taskbar.

There are several references on the web about this and how to stop it / remove it. The information I've put here comes from this -
[URL]http://serverfault.com/questions/695916/registry-key-gpo-to-disable-and-block-windows-10-upgrade[/URL]

Windows 7 here... I *just* recently moved to windows 7 because my new board lacks XP/2k drivers. Even windows 7 is too annoying for me, but I deal. "Sit down, shut up and do as I say not what you think I should do." I'm a tweaker and power user too, and people like us seem to have been forgotten. I still run a ton of commands and can still navigate a computer faster with a keyboard than a mouse (touchscreens are a bane to me, and feel incredibly slow). Automatic updates are disabled too when I found about the GWX updates and how they are pushed through. Its not like I run around the internet clicking on every popup and running stuff from 'questionable' places to suffer a buffer overflow.

I'm of mind where if its not broke, don't fix or update it. A new shiny version number means nothing to me.

Recently "used" win10 on a newly updated laptop. I don't like it. I don't like it at all. Feels simplistic and cheap (hey it is 'free') and there is no way I could use it as a *workstation*. Simple use would probably be ok for me though.

[quote name='Robotengineer']Break free from the bondage of Windows! Get Linux! Or OS X, if you prefer the aesthetics of OS X.[/QUOTE]

The problem is that many games don't work on linux. (or at least not easily, without extra bugs...)
But I think Windows 10 is going to force me start using something that isn't Windows.

Yeah, that middle button on the XBox Pad is still a BUTTON. Let me use it for my games if I want and don't try and forcibly take over it.

It's not just a Windows issue, Steam on Linux binds it to Big Picture mode, and I can't find a way to disable it other than not having Steam open. Ugh.

.....in' about Microsoft is preaching to the choir to me, man.

How about if MS "updates" makes your 20 years of programming experience obsolete, and pretty much screws you out of your career (IRL, not game.)

Just so MS can push everyone to their insecure cloud and start charging everyone in the world rent. :mad:

(that's the first frowny face I've ever posted in these forums.! Fact is, I play KSP to forget my Microsoft problems) Edited by Brainlord Mesomorph

That's a sad story. My gut feeling is that most people don't realize it's a button and that their CS got inundated with calls "what's the jewel button". That or somewhere, somehow, it caused some bugs. "You know what, lets turn it off"

The history of (microsoft) updates is full of appreciated features that got turned off or downgraded for what surely was a good reason for Microsoft, just not for the customer. My favorite remains the SP2 update in Office 97 that removed the ability for MS Access to write to tables that were linked to Excel files. Although in all honesty I cannot really blame Microsoft for that one. Thinking of it... I do expect to see that functionality return in Office 2017! :)

Still don't see how that cost you a kerbal. Even if you were in a full stall when you tried your abort button, your parachutes were still in your staging menu. Why didn't you just tap space till they deployed?

Or, you could have just reverted to launch unless you wanted the challenge of playing with reverts turned off.
If you selected that option when you started, then it sounds like you're to blame for the death of your kerbal, not Microsoft.

[quote name='Kerba Fett']Still don't see how that cost you a kerbal. Even if you were in a full stall when you tried your abort button, your parachutes were still in your staging menu. Why didn't you just tap space till they deployed?

Or, you could have just reverted to launch unless you wanted the challenge of playing with reverts turned off.
If you selected that option when you started, then it sounds like you're to blame for the death of your kerbal, not Microsoft.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, this post is a bit sarcastic. The story is true however. You know, it took me like, what, humm, 30 seconds to get back on my feet and forget the incident... :D I am not "blaming" Microsoft for "killing" one of my best "Kerbal". I blame them for doing silent modification.

And, yes, I play with no revert and I "go with the flow" / "roll with the punches". No quick save or quick load either. I test new prototype for real usually with an unmanned module. That is how I play: after so many hours in KSP I need some challenge. I am not a "checkpoint" type of player.

The plane stalled at around 300 meters above the surface. By the time I realized the chute was not going to open, the ground was coming real fast. I tapped the space bar like a rodent on caffeine but the Realchute chute was set to only deploy on ground contact when armed via the staging sequence. I tried to regain control... but the plane crashed.

But Kerba Fett, no offense taken and none given (i hope). :sticktongue:

[COLOR=silver][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='MGCJerry']Windows 7 here... I *just* recently moved to windows 7 because my new board lacks XP/2k drivers. Even windows 7 is too annoying for me, but I deal. "Sit down, shut up and do as I say not what you think I should do." I'm a tweaker and power user too, and people like us seem to have been forgotten. I still run a ton of commands and can still navigate a computer faster with a keyboard than a mouse (touchscreens are a bane to me, and feel incredibly slow). Automatic updates are disabled too when I found about the GWX updates and how they are pushed through. Its not like I run around the internet clicking on every popup and running stuff from 'questionable' places to suffer a buffer overflow.

I'm of mind where if its not broke, don't fix or update it. A new shiny version number means nothing to me.

Recently "used" win10 on a newly updated laptop. I don't like it. I don't like it at all. Feels simplistic and cheap (hey it is 'free') and there is no way I could use it as a *workstation*. Simple use would probably be ok for me though.[/QUOTE]

Exactly...

With more and more user switching to "mobile" device it seems the foretold prophecy of the "Customized Desktop PC Apocalypse" is real. Sadly. ;.;

I know, I know "Switch to Linux and stop whining." haha. But the thing remain: Why Microsoft? Why keep doing this to your power users!

I agree about Windows 7 being "close to perfection" as far as a Microsoft OS is concerned. Then again, they got me with the Direct X 12 hype. I feel that, as a gamer, I will have to make the switch to Windows 10 sooner or later...

EDIT: Oh, by the way, know what I did about the disabled Jewel button? I re-installed an older driver from Windows 7 made for the Xbox One Controller! The missing/undesirable Jewel button is back. Edited by Galenmacil

[quote name='Kerbart']That's a sad story. My gut feeling is that most people don't realize it's a button and that their CS got inundated with calls "what's the jewel button". That or somewhere, somehow, it caused some bugs. "You know what, lets turn it off"

The history of (microsoft) updates is full of appreciated features that got turned off or downgraded for what surely was a good reason for Microsoft, just not for the customer. My favorite remains the SP2 update in Office 97 that removed the ability for MS Access to write to tables that were linked to Excel files. Although in all honesty I cannot really blame Microsoft for that one. Thinking of it... I do expect to see that functionality return in Office 2017! :)[/QUOTE]
They destroyed debug.exe. I cannot write boot loaders to floppy disks anymore. :mad::confused::mad::confused::mad::confused::(:(:(:(:(;.;

[quote name='CliftonM']They destroyed debug.exe. I cannot write boot loaders to floppy disks anymore. :mad::confused::mad::confused::mad::confused::(:(:(:(:(;.;[/QUOTE]

That DOS era debug.exe was... extreme! Maybe they'll bring back a debug64.exe at some point. :wink:

[quote name='EditorRUS']Pft. I never had any problems with that.
[URL]http://i.imgur.com/KbS8hZ6.png[/URL]

[COLOR=silver][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Pft. I have never had any problems with that.
[URL]http://i.imgur.com/KbS8hZ6.png[/URL][/QUOTE]
You are the smartest windows user I have ever met!

I would say never to allow Microsoft Updates to autoupdate... let it inform you it has updates, and then go evaluate what they are before [I]just installing them[/I]. In the past that was simple, each update clearly defined what the update was and did. Now, they don't tell you... you have to go look up the update information (externally) to find out. Pain in the arse.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.