KasperVld

Welcome to the new forums!

Recommended Posts

On 11/29/2015, 10:54:57, DarthVader said:

I like having the forums back up, the new theme is hard to read for me tho, maybe some options.

Hold down CRTL and push your mouse scroll wheel forward. The new forum layout scales very nicely. I'm running my computer on a 40" TV via HDMI input and I sit about 8 feet away from it. I measured it, the text is about 1/2 inch tall.

If it is colors that are making it hard to read for you, I'm sure there are some settings for that somewhere, if not they will be implemented soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happened to Friends/Followers?

Mine were there Sunday, when the new forums came up, but now they're gone (all 7 of them)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ferram4 said:

I tried to make a post earlier, but apparently it got wiped out by the 502 fun.

Anyway, the gist was: WYSIWYG editor is a pain.  I always turned it off, especially for editing the initial post of a mod thread to help with making things responsive enough that I could be sure that it was updating properly AND so that I could be sure that the formatting was right because I could see where the BB code markers ended.  I have no control over this anymore, and frankly, that's a huge step backwards.  Not to mention all the links that are busted.

The nice thing about forums was always the lack of silly formatting shenanigans.  Why bring it here?

Exactly, I had exactly the same problem with the Aviation Lights thread. My changelog has gone mostly missing due to a 502, and reformatting was a massive pain. WYSIWYG sounds way better than it actually is. I feel functionality has been compromised greatly, I'm especially mad about losing the "preview post" function. Having to actually make something public if you are not sure it's the way you want it is just horrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Val said:

What happened to Friends/Followers?

Mine were there Sunday, when the new forums came up, but now they're gone (all 7 of them)

The follower data had to be removed to fix the constant downtime we experienced yesterday, unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KasperVld said:

The follower data had to be removed to fix the constant downtime we experienced yesterday, unfortunately.

Thanks for the answer.

Another question. I wanted to fix up the formatting in some of my recent posts, but I can't fix the quotes with name or reference to the quoted post.

Is there any way to copy-paste quotes?

Edited by Val
Spaces

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just discovered a tip: if you want to keep your text single spaced after a line break, hold Shift and press Enter. On Facebook, you do this to put in a line break instead of posting your comment. It worked there, so I tried it here and it worked. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd just like to chime in to say "good work".  Migrations are always a headache.  I also see many users being users, so it looks like all issues will be investigated, hopefully before the universe's coffee supply runs out.

Very happy to see we needed to do a password reset.  Although, (as has been mentioned several times already) SSL would be nice.

I highly recommend drawing a line in the sand of "mostly working", cracking a bottle of your personal choice of poison, and raising a glass to a job well done.  If the universe kept turning while the forum was offline completely, I imagine UTF-8 renderings on old posts or missing spaces in templates are things that the universe can continue to function without for long enough to catch your breath, get a nap, etc.

Bravo KasperVld and cohorts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, neamerjell said:

Just discovered a tip: if you want to keep your text single spaced after a line break, hold Shift and press Enter. On Facebook, you do this to put in a line break instead of posting your comment. It worked there, so I tried it here and it worked. :)

That's a fairly common use for a line break instead of a paragraph break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

That's a fairly common use for a line break instead of a paragraph break.

Facebook is the only other place I have seen this functionality. KSP is about the only forum I have been (semi) regularly active on. So that is good to know. I was just delighted to have discovered it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please fix the lack of contrast already. It hurts my eyes and I am not the only one.

If you won't change it globally, give us themes.

Sigs are the worst offender here, who decided grey on white was readable?

I have already given up on the infantile "like" thing - why are you so desperate to emulate social media sites?

Also, the double spacing by default is ridiculous ( I know how CR/LF works thank you), as is the huge amount

of screen real-estate consumed by white space.

The moaning will continue until forum usability improves, and my eyes stop itching.

 

Edited by steve_v

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, passinglurker said:

So are the colors gonna be adjusted eventually or is "use grease monkey" the best we are gonna get?

Everyone is saying the colors hurt their eyes is this actually gonna be addressed or not!? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a way to put selected threads in a custom activity stream? The reason is I want to use it to track some mod threads. I don't want them to mix up in the streams that are already there.

Edited by *Aqua*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AARRRRGGGG my eyes, my eyes......it burns.....

Seriously though to much white/grey white..... needs a much better theme.
Not sure about the new I.P.S. forum software, seems we have given up some useful functionality for a social media type feed & feel, time will tell whether or not it impacts on forum usage/enjoyment.

But at least it's not Huddler lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, passinglurker said:

Everyone is saying the colors hurt their eyes is this actually gonna be addressed or not!? 

Give them a frickin couple of days people are saying lots of things!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Val said:

Thanks for the answer.

Another question. I wanted to fix up the formatting in some of my recent posts, but I can't fix the quotes with name or reference to the quoted post.

Is there any way to copy-paste quotes?

Yes, you can simply select them in the editor, press control+c to copy and control+v to paste.

 

37 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

I'd just like to chime in to say "good work".  Migrations are always a headache.  I also see many users being users, so it looks like all issues will be investigated, hopefully before the universe's coffee supply runs out.

Very happy to see we needed to do a password reset.  Although, (as has been mentioned several times already) SSL would be nice.

I highly recommend drawing a line in the sand of "mostly working", cracking a bottle of your personal choice of poison, and raising a glass to a job well done.  If the universe kept turning while the forum was offline completely, I imagine UTF-8 renderings on old posts or missing spaces in templates are things that the universe can continue to function without for long enough to catch your breath, get a nap, etc.

Bravo KasperVld and cohorts!

Thanks! I think it's been a weekend well spent - even with the unforeseen issues that happened when hundreds of people started using the forums all at once. The current performance is much better than we started out with, thanks to excellent support from IPS (who make this forum software), Multiplay (our webhost) and all the people who let me blow off some steam in the past few days :P

 

23 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Please fix the lack of contrast already. It hurts my eyes and I am not the only one.

If you won't change it globally, give us themes.

Sigs are the worst offender here, who decided grey on white was readable?

I have already given up on the infantile "like" thing - why are you so desperate to emulate social media sites?

Also, the double spacing by default is ridiculous ( I know how CR/LF works thank you), as is the huge amount

of screen real-estate consumed by white space.

The moaning will continue until forum usability improves, and my eyes stop itching.

 

The call for a different theme has been received, but high quality forum themes don't grow on trees. I'll bring it up in my next meeting.

 

15 minutes ago, *Aqua* said:

Is there a way to put selected threads in a custom activity stream? The reason is I want to use it to track some mod threads. I don't want them to mix up in the streams that are already there.

You can follow threads (there's a follow this button on the top right hand side of the page), then you can simply use the "Threads I Follow" activity stream to stay up-to-date :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I have not seen it mentioned yet (forgive me if I missed it) has no one noticed that the little blerb under your avitar about when you joined the forum is gone.  For me, I find this very unfortunate since I have been on this forum regularly since May of 2012 but have neither racked up a lot of post nor a lot of rep.  But I read a lot of what is said.  So I consider myself to be relatively well informed on what is happening in the KSP world.  To bad I will now be mistaken as a relative newcomer with a relatively uninformed opinion when I choose to say something.  Great! I am sure to love that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KasperVld said:

You can follow threads (there's a follow this button on the top right hand side of the page), then you can simply use the "Threads I Follow" activity stream to stay up-to-date :)

But that mixes all threads I follow into one stream. I want a separate one only for mod threads (or other stuff) if possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mcirish3 said:

As I have not seen it mentioned yet (forgive me if I missed it) has no one noticed that the little blerb under your avitar about when you joined the forum is gone.  For me, I find this very unfortunate since I have been on this forum regularly since May of 2012 but have neither racked up a lot of post nor a lot of rep.  But I read a lot of what is said.  So I consider myself to be relatively well informed on what is happening in the KSP world.  To bad I will now be mistaken as a relative newcomer with a relatively uninformed opinion when I choose to say something.  Great! I am sure to love that.

Hover over your avatar and more information pops up. I think 376 posts is more than respectable in any case. :)

 

2 minutes ago, *Aqua* said:

But that mixes all threads I follow into one stream. I want a separate one only for mod threads (or other stuff) if possible.

Hmm, I'd have to look into that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bug report:  I get the following in place of where I used to have imgur albums.

"Javascript is disabled. View full album"

Any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@KasperVld
Thank you! :)

I think this can be a great feature if you can get that working. Mod devs then could put their mod threads into a stream and quickly access them from there, while tracking others mods they like in a separate stream, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Arrowstar said:

Bug report:  I get the following in place of where I used to have imgur albums.

"Javascript is disabled. View full album"

Any ideas?

Just one: repost the album. There's a nice imgur embed feature you can access by clicking the 'i' icon in the editor (righter-most button)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, *Aqua* said:

But that mixes all threads I follow into one stream. I want a separate one only for mod threads (or other stuff) if possible.

What's more, it has one entry for each new post, rather than one entry for each thread sorted by recent activity.   The old way was much more efficient for catching up on things a mod at a time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KasperVld said:

It's a hackjob, but it works ;)

Ask if we care :)   thank you for listening to our concerns ^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no non-WYSIWYG editor option, is there? :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, KasperVld said:

SNIP-  The call for a different theme has been received, but high quality forum themes don't grow on trees. I'll bring it up in my next meeting.

 

Thank you Kasper. I am going to compare the new look here to that episode of pokemon that gave kids seziures. It only affects like 10-15% of viewers, but for those who find it to be painful/uncomfortable, its is REALLY bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.