Problems with fuselage-wings #$%@ bind.

Hi to everyone,

I fell back some weeks ago into the terrible SSTO and TSTO dimension. Everything was pretty funny making some 100 to 150 tons flying bricks able to reach and maintain a 200 km circular orbit until I tried to realise some kind of an ugly clone of Rockwell 1970's project know as Star-Raker using nose and fuselage parts from OPT Space Planes.

hdBbj9h.png

VuthjBV.png

Due to the high number of wings parts it would require and computer performances reasons I used the B9 Aerospace Procedural Parts mod to the make wings. Each wings is made of 7 parts, counting the mobile surfaces.

So the time was to start some high speed runs and rotations and here comes the problem, the craft spread its wings as soon as the lift is sufficient as you can see and I I still haven't find a way to fix the main wings section to the fuselage :

RflcUEw.png

26qwMub.png

nO07dZo.png

o30maw7.png

At first the forward wing section with high leading edge was independant of the second delta but it was also unstable and start to shake quicky and dangerously but the most important section (2nd and 3rd deltas) were stables and well fixed to the fuselage. Then I tried to joint the 2nd delta to the 1st and now the result is worst. I also tried to install a massive number of those ugly strut connector and here again nothing positiv happen, its even worst with the struts "pushing" the wings out of the fuselage section.

So, is there a way or maybe a mod to "weld" those wings to the fuselage ?

Thanks to all of you by advance.

27 minutes ago, XB-70A said:

So, is there a way or maybe a mod to "weld" those wings to the fuselage ?

I haven't used those mods enough to troubleshoot. (You could get better answers within the mod specific threads.)

Ubiozur's Welded Parts Mod

This works great with stock parts and many mod parts too. Not sure if it includes the ones you're using or not, but it's pretty handy regardless.

8 hours ago, cantab said:

Struts?

8 hours ago, Claw said:

I'm not sure if ubiozur's welder would do the wings to the fuselage. However, have you tried using a couple of strategically placed struts?

8 hours ago, Sanic said:

There are 2 answers for all problems in KSP.

MOAR BOOSTERS or MOAR STRUTS!

You need MOAR STRUTS!!!

Thank you guys, but as wrote upper I already place a really high number of struts (cancelling by the way the interest that B9 Procedural Parts gave me : having the less parts as possible). It even became worst after the struts were put on, giving some kind of an "accordion effect" to the wings.

8 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement is another mod that will help immensely with this sort of thing.

Thank you for taking the time to answer, but KJR is already a part of my installed mods.

I should try to rebuild the wings making a speed run at each new parts installed.

Edited by XB-70A

1 hour ago, XB-70A said:

Thank you guys, but as wrote upper I already place a really high number of struts

Ah, so you did. I apologize for missing that.

I think we both said struts, because I'm extremely surprised to see the wings fold in that manner if you were already using struts. In that case, what might be happening is that the fuselage is just so heavy, and you have so much control authority, that it's simply ripping the wings off.

As a test, try putting a mast on the main fuselage (put a modular girder on top),  then run a few symmetric struts from midpoints on the wings up to this mast. That will give them a bit of a triangular support structure. See if that distributes the load some. If not, then you possibly have some other issue going on.

@XB-70A How much does your craft weigh?

I built a Star-Raker a while back. 120 t take-off weight. It's stock parts only and not as true to the source material as yours.

But the wings are built from wing panels in 2 groups, with no struts or welding.

4YcmYnj.pngvfBylNJ.png

Yours does seem a lot bigger, though. But maybe it is doable for yours as well?

Edited by Val
I need writing comprehension

2 hours ago, XB-70A said:

It seems like the wings do not fit to the main fuselage.

It also looks like the struts aren't connected to the wings, but rather the wall of the fuselage. Unless those are for something else.

Thank you guys and please forgive me about the delay.

In facts I use to start this project with the stock wings sections, there only was a similar problem with about 5 or 6 panels non-welded ar the first run but it was easy to fix them afterall (by the way, it could be cool to have a mod to test the wings flex directly in the Hangar instead of waiting for load and be deceived on the runway). Sole default, but not a little one, was the high number of parts it gives to the craft, around 180, too many for my piece of cr*p/dedicated computer. At this time Procedural Wings seems to be the sole way to built this replica of the Star-Raker.

I think I should wait to get a better platform before continuing this project, and will go back to some crazy looking medium and heavy S/TSTOs like those old ones :

5ZEcpq6.png

iUY4xdD.png

ehiAX4X.png

uzO5C9I.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.