Asteroids

Tim_the_Plumber

Are the asteroids supposed to jump about?

As in once you have got one and are manoevering it about, mining it as you go, trying to get the thing into low earth orbit the center of mass and the center of the thing begin to separate. This has the effect of making it jump when it comes out of time warp. It gets progressively impossible to actually use the thing much less direct it.

If you want to get rid of bugs, then dig into the communty's bug reporting section. I've been rather out of the loop on KSP for ages, so I have no idea how they're handling feedback and testing at this time, but developers can't fix bugs they're not aware of, and it is a lot harder to fix bugs that they don't know exactly how to reproduce.

Remember, testing software is not a fun or easy task to do right, and it involves a lot of repetitive and tedious work to do properly. Not to mention that actually fixing bugs takes time in and of itself, and fixes are rarely a one shot deal.

5 hours ago, Tim_the_Plumber said:

When you report an issue include as much information as possible. 

In particular, details of what you are doing when it occurs.  If it  occurs regularly after a a certain action or set of actions this can be really useful as it gives the devs a chance to reproduce it and so track down the cause much more easily.

15 minutes ago, Engineer of Stuff said:

Asteroids have always been bugged. Just try your best to work around that.

This can relieve the stress a bit, but doesn't help solve the issue.  If we want bugs fixing we need to report them effectively and help the devs as much as possible. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2015 at 4:23 PM, pandaman said:

When you report an issue include as much information as possible. 

In particular, details of what you are doing when it occurs.  If it  occurs regularly after a a certain action or set of actions this can be really useful as it gives the devs a chance to reproduce it and so track down the cause much more easily.

This can relieve the stress a bit, but doesn't help solve the issue.  If we want bugs fixing we need to report them effectively and help the devs as much as possible. 

OK, so you know that the asteroids are buggy.

You want me to report all the information. Sure, last time I tried that I had to wander through a load of files and then post something to a bulitan board whjich did not work. Eventually I just cut and paste it into the forum t get the reply "Ah, yes it's corrupted you will have to restart the game."

I have a good skill at plumbing. I am not a computer programer.

I suggest that you have a little option on the menu thingy which will let the user add a little bit of text and then send off the last record of the program so you can see what has happened.

3 hours ago, Tim_the_Plumber said:

I suggest that you have a little option on the menu thingy which will let the user add a little bit of text and then send off the last record of the program so you can see what has happened.

Useful suggestion is useful.

You should go to the tracker and post this sugge... oh never mind.

Asteroids have never "been buggy" for me. The claw has been buggy, and it can still be iffy sometimes, but I've never had an asteroid jump around, shift its COM, or otherwise "be buggy."

I understand the frustration, but if you're experiencing a bug and you don't go through the proper reporting mechanisms, you don't really have the right to complain.

4 hours ago, Tim_the_Plumber said:

OK, so you know that the asteroids are buggy.

You want me to report all the information. Sure, last time I tried that I had to wander through a load of files and then post something to a bulitan board whjich did not work. Eventually I just cut and paste it into the forum t get the reply "Ah, yes it's corrupted you will have to restart the game."

I have a good skill at plumbing. I am not a computer programer.

I have not had any problems with asteroids myself yet.  So... No  I don't 'know they are buggy'.

Nobody expects expects you to be an expert.  It just helps to identify the causes of bugs, and and so makes it easier fix them, if you can give good information about what makes it happen. 

It is not always easy, but if you notice that it happens frequently when you do a certain thing or things and not others (for example) then it can be very useful information if it is reported properly. 

KSP is a very complex game and we all play a bit differently to each other, so you may see problems I don't and I may see some you don't. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.