Community Support

Thalamask

Although I've only recently created an account, I've been lurking here for nearly two years and Squad and KSP have, at least in my opinion, one of the best online communities I've ever seen. I'd like to suggest that we expand upon that base. Whether you're sick, know somebody who's dying, struggle with a mental illness, whatever, everybody needs support from time to time and not everybody has somebody they can talk to. Hell, in many cases, it's way easier to talk to a stranger that you'll never meet in person.

I can't claim credit for this idea, however. I used to play a fair amount of Eve Online, and helped out in an outfit called "Eve University". They developed a chat channel called "Broadcast for Reps" (an ingame equivalent of calling for help), and it's full of people who are therapists, or who've been there, or just those who've volunteered to provide an ear. You won't get any therapy there, but you'll always find support and somebody to listen. I've used that channel before, on both sides of the conversation, and I think it would be great to import the idea here. I believe KSP can host such a community and would like to start collecting volunteers. If you're interested, post your stories and let people know you're available. At the end of the day, every username is an actual person, not just pixels on a screen.

Personally, I suffer from treatment-resistant major depressive disorder complicated by high anxiety and bouts of intense agoraphobia. In the past, I've gone 6 months without leaving the house, 'cause I couldn't make it past the front door. The few times I did, I was so loaded down with meds that I might as well have been asleep or unconscious. And yes, I have and occasionally still do, actively contemplate suicide.

I'm doing better these days, though. I've got new meds, a great shrink and therapist and a wonderful, supportive wife. I have friends I see every week (even if it is only through Skype for our weekly Shadowrun game). I'm not well, not yet. But I'm better than I was, and it wouldn't have happened if I'd taken the other way out.

In short, I'm not a therapist and I've had no training, but I've been there. If you need somebody to talk to, hit me up on the forums. I'll reply as quick as I can, whenever I log on.

33 minutes ago, Thalamask said:

I'm doing better these days, though. I've got new meds, a great shrink and therapist and a wonderful, supportive wife. I have friends I see every week (even if it is only through Skype for our weekly Shadowrun game). I'm not well, not yet. But I'm better than I was, and it wouldn't have happened if I'd taken the other way out.

That's great man! I also think it's great you're trying to help people similar to you. You have a really good idea and I would be surprised if this community did anything but support it.

I've helped a fellow forum user with some issues that i'm not at liberty to talk about and he's helped me whenever I was depressed. Eventually the depression stopped of it's own accord but it helped so much to have somebody to talk to. I'm not sure of his current state, but I can at least attest to how much this forum's helped. I disagree with a lot of things on this forum, including but not limited to the developers and the moderators, but it's helped me and that's one of the reasons why I stay.

Edited by Flymetothemun
Mods, c'mon! Don't just unbolt the part from the base, put a new part on!

26 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

While this is a nice idea, please keep in mind that others will see what is posted on the forum, be careful around other's emotional issues, and, especially, please do not mention anyone by name without that person's permission. 

This could be through messaging too, all he's saying is that this should be a thing.

And I agree.

I'm available if needed, although not often posting, i am lurking a bit. so shoot me a message if you need someone to talk with.

Anyways, here's an idea to contribute to this:

An IRC channel, a main one, where people can simply say "I need to talk to someone" or something similar, and get messaged by someone who volunteers to do this. another way is Teamspeak with rooms limited to 2 people. just need a lot of rooms but it works.

I really like this idea, while no, i don't have depression, bi-polar, or anything like that, life can be really sad/hard at times and we've all been there. so i think this should be a thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.