Crew hatches parts

Hi,

I was wondering what would happen if the science lab and hitchiker module for example had the crew hatches and ladders removed, and instead you could place a hatch and ladder for that matter where you wanted.

Edited by abowl

Depends how much you care about IVA mode I guess. Not so much for the ladders but having moveable hatches would make the part modelling more complex because the interior graphics would need to change to match the position of your hatch.

3 hours ago, abowl said:

Hi,

I was wondering what would happen if the science lab and hitchiker module for example had the crew hatches and ladders removed, and instead you could place a hatch and ladder for that matter where you wanted.

That's actually not a bad idea.

3 hours ago, KSK said:

Depends how much you care about IVA mode I guess. Not so much for the ladders but having moveable hatches would make the part modelling more complex because the interior graphics would need to change to match the position of your hatch.

So maybe there should be hatch nodes. Would make interior design easier. But with hatch nodes comes restriction which the goal was to get tid of to begin with.

Edited by abowl

2 hours ago, pandaman said:

Interesting idea.  I'm not sure about removing hatches from existing parts, but a new 'airlock' part that can be surface attached could be quite handy.

This idea I like. Particularly considering the absence of dedicated base-building parts. For instance, for my Pol base I have four Hitchiker modules oriented on their sides (relative to the surface), with the "top" attachment port leading to a central core, and windows pointing outward. This means the only viable hatch is on top of the base, the ones on the bottom resting too close to the ground to access. An airlock I could attach to the "bottom" node, which is facing outward in my configuration, would make the base make more sense.... or, you know, implement base-building parts. (Its a shame there is no person or persons currently working for squad who already have nifty base parts just begging to be added to stock.)   

Edited by Tourist

I would suggest that the most important thing to improve would be the hatch EVA menus themselves.

When clicking on any hatch, one should get a list of all kerbals in the spaceship, and not only in the part whose hatch is clicked, just like the crew selection screens in the HAB/SPH showing the same information. That way you could get any kerbal from any hatch, and make sure you get the three star engineer that you wanted to EVA, regardless of witch capsule the engineer was sitting in. This would solve most of my problems, but I would of course welcome a surface mounted zero kerbal capsule with just a hatch, if the above mechanic is implemented, so you could EVA any kerbal from it.

Edited by Zwolff

This would actually be a great addition to the game, not just for bases but for lots of other craft. I have an airliner that I use to ferry stuff to and from one of my bases on kerbin, and it's always bothered me that the mk3 crew cabin has its hatch on the roof.. 

8 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I'd like it if we could EVA from docking ports, would give much more flexibility in placement and less fiddling with ladders. Maybe a cabin door-style part could be added, then we'd have a ton of flexibility in egress points.

EVA from docking ports would be so handy indeed. At the moment I'd be glad if they'd fix this magnetic bug that sends kerbals off into space when they (or their helmets) come too close to a docking port. Very annoying.

But yeah, make docking ports into hatches, that would be cool. Maybe not on the jr sized ones, but definitely on the other sizes.

4 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

So... was I the only one that at reading the thread title, came in expecting to read how we just learned that baby rocket parts come out of eggs hatched by Kerbals....?

This would make building stuff on other planets a lot easier, no mucking about mining for raw materials. 

Edited by pandaman

1 hour ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

Yup. Two, in fact. I think this thread is talking about something a bit different, though. Those airlocks and several added by other mods are separate crew cabins, designed for the sole purpose of putting kerbals on eva.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.