[1.4.2] Kerbal Research & Development

-MM-

On 12/22/2015 at 9:26 AM, BitPoet said:

Maybe the ability to add ablator material to parts?  Up the cost and weight, obviously.

Worked for the X-15

I made a suggestion post about this before and 100% agree

people will say some parts already have a high enough heat tolerance, but a fair amount of them (the Mk2 pointy cockpit for example) have less heat tolerance then then its inline brother (the non pointy one) and it makes no sense why a part that it ment to be the forward-most one has 100 less tolerance then Mk2 inline. Also i could talk about how aerobrakes are wayyyy needing a heat tolerance update. so yes i am in favor of adding ablator to parts

Edited by fireblade274

I also think this would be great, though would be a substantial effort to do so as it would be adding something to a part rather than changing already existing values as all existing options do. Changing the heat tolerance rather than adding ablator seems more feasible without having to do major work on the mod.

I've thought about doing something similar to this, but instead of science requiring ore from different celestial bodies to produce these upgraded parts. For example Mun could ore could offer increased impact strength, Duna would allow over thrusting, Moho could be increased heat tolerance, and the elusive Eve ore would provide better fuel efficiency.

16 hours ago, i208khonsu said:

I've thought about doing something similar to this, but instead of science requiring ore from different celestial bodies to produce these upgraded parts. For example Mun could ore could offer increased impact strength, Duna would allow over thrusting, Moho could be increased heat tolerance, and the elusive Eve ore would provide better fuel efficiency.

This sounds really cool and more in keeping with KSP than a lot of ideas. It also adds a reason to go back to various places that you've been to in previous saves, or even in the current campaign to collect more ore to upgrade different parts or further upgrade a current one. If you're actually interested in working on it, I'd be happy to help :)

I was wondering how to make the late game more interesting, as science rapidly loses value and I end up restarting game because the motivation drops with game progress.

This mod... Essentially extends the lifetime of a KSP game. Might just be an essential mod to have.

Edit: I couldn't find any mention of parachutes. Have you given them any thought? Specifically higher "safe" speed would be grand!

Edited by Mipe

On Wednesday, February 10, 2016 at 9:46 AM, troyfawkes said:

This sounds really cool and more in keeping with KSP than a lot of ideas. It also adds a reason to go back to various places that you've been to in previous saves, or even in the current campaign to collect more ore to upgrade different parts or further upgrade a current one. If you're actually interested in working on it, I'd be happy to help :)

Nah, I've got so many other projects that need my attention; maybe when I'm old and retired I could work on something like that. To plant some for seeds for anyone who would want to expand on an ideal like that I was thinking last night it might be neat if it was required to process specific science experiments first in the science lab to unlock the ability to use ore for various upgrades. For instance processing a surface sample from Duna on the surface of Duna would only enable using ore for over-thrusting on the most basic engines. You'd need a surface sample from Duna processed in orbit around Eve for Aerospike, or processing a Duna surface sample on Eeloo for Ion engines. You could even have multiple different levels of upgrades to unlock. High Orbit, Low Orbit, and Landed; Processed in any order you choose.

I have eyed with this mod for a while but only donwloaded it recently when it was featured in modding mondays (pathetic, I know). And I love it! Finally a reason to keep exploring after unlocking the tech tree. Thank you!

As a heads up in anyone in the future encounters a problem with the KRnD window staying blank after selecting a part, there is some sort of conflict between this and something in the CryoEngines file CryoTanksISRU.cfg. I have not determined what exactly in the file is causing this, at at present see no reason WHY this is happening, but spent the morning finding that this particular file does cause this problem. For some reason, something in this file causes KRnD to see no modifiable fields in any part, resulting in no parts being recognized even for dry mass.

Just did a quick look and it appears to add support for things like that require changes to the source rather than just cfg changes. I do believe it was mentioned as something to come in the future, though the absence is a little worrying. It is possible he's just holding off until 1.1 release however.

Hello,

I`m really enjoy this mod, cool mod :D

I found a issue about BatteryCharge in InterstellarFuelSwitch ,

as the screenshots :

In VAB set the Tank as BatteryCharge & Monos

WaQ4oCX.jpg

after launch, battery charge has been reset to 0.

3upHNuK.jpg

I`m come from taiwan. , so sorry about my poor english . :D

Edited by Amosa

On 2/13/2016 at 4:22 PM, JeffreyCor said:

As a heads up in anyone in the future encounters a problem with the KRnD window staying blank after selecting a part, there is some sort of conflict between this and something in the CryoEngines file CryoTanksISRU.cfg. I have not determined what exactly in the file is causing this, at at present see no reason WHY this is happening, but spent the morning finding that this particular file does cause this problem. For some reason, something in this file causes KRnD to see no modifiable fields in any part, resulting in no parts being recognized even for dry mass.

This will go with all of the near future tech too... 

I have both the  cryogenic engines, NF Propulsion, and NF solar. I did have a folder with CryoTanks, but I deleted that with the engines. I just updated the propulsion, which didn't seem to work. It works when I remove all NF mods, but not when I turn them back on. 

Maybe there is another mod effecting how this works? 

While it is not impossible, I have many mods including NF Construction, Electrical + NTRs, Nuclear Rockets, Props, Propulsion, Solar, and Spacecraft and do not have the problem with the listed file removed. Going though over 120 mod folders was quite an undertaking to find the problem I did ;) I haven't seen an update of NFP today, so if there was one I missed and a problem shows up I'll of course let everyone know if I find another conflict. Of course the best would be if -MM- popped back up for some better, more in depth analysis and support on what might be going on :)

6 hours ago, JeffreyCor said:

While it is not impossible, I have many mods including NF Construction, Electrical + NTRs, Nuclear Rockets, Props, Propulsion, Solar, and Spacecraft and do not have the problem with the listed file removed. Going though over 120 mod folders was quite an undertaking to find the problem I did ;) I haven't seen an update of NFP today, so if there was one I missed and a problem shows up I'll of course let everyone know if I find another conflict. Of course the best would be if -MM- popped back up for some better, more in depth analysis and support on what might be going on :)

It's most likely something messing with NF that is causing it to mess up. I'm not that far in the CTT tech tree to unlock NF stuff. Like you I have a list of mod folders, but I'll go through them and find out what is messing with it. 

Tried it again making sure had the current versions. The only thing I found NF that cause it to have a problem is the stated file CryoTanksISRU.cfg which straight install (NFP I believe it is) does includes the file that causes the problem. Also remember to clear the MM caches between test as that can sometimes causes a MM file effect to linger after the actual file was removed. Found that out the hard way. :P

I did get it to work... yay. I don't know what I did wrong or what I did to get it to work... 

I did have an idea that would be a nice addition to this would be to upgrade drills... either by decreasing power needed or by increasing what I get out of the ground.

Very glad to hear you got it to work!!! :)

Upgrading drills was mentioned as being planned. If / when -MM- returns we can find out more, of otherwise if someone picks this up to continue it. This mod adds far too much to let it go by the wayside. I think both of your ideas sound good, one line to increase output and another to reduce power usage. Maybe even a third that reduces head production.

• 1 month later...