[1.4.2] Kerbal Research & Development

-MM-

On 5/25/2016 at 5:04 PM, -MM- said:

I once tried to submit the mod to the ckan-repo (as you can tell by my already included .netkan-file in the git-repo). But the netkan validation-tool always just said "JSON deserialization error", which I was unable to fix. So I just stopped trying a while ago. If there is a ckan-wizard out there who can give me a few pointers or even add the mod for me? That would be greatly appreciated.

You might try the IRC #CKAN.  I had some problems with my mod and CKAN and they got me fixed up in a hurry.

Great mod BTW.  Love it!

I was thinking that with the higher use for science this gives, KerbalScienceExchange while allows "buying" science points for funds. Unfortunately, that is not getting a high priority as it doesn't have a lot of general demand, though KRnD users I think would be very interested in it since it fits so well with this. Maybe a collaboration or something for bringing that up to KSP 1.1.2 could be reasonable and beneficial.

Is there a way to upgrade the vessels already launched? Like a cfg file or do I go fly up a replacement part every time I want an upgrade?

Maybe with extra planetary launchpads can fabricate me a replacement. 

Edited by sardia

Only newly built parts have the improvements. Extra Planetary Launchpads, and also the workshops that are made to do with it for small items, works great for adding or replacing parts later on particularly where launching up new parts is impractical.

On 2016-05-27 at 9:44 PM, Probus said:

You might try the IRC #CKAN.  I had some problems with my mod and CKAN and they got me fixed up in a hurry.

I'll take a look at it tonight after work. Sometimes the netkan application throws errors on what are perfectly valid .netkan files.

Edited by phoenix_ca

Is there a way that I can make this mod IGNORE procedural parts? I'm fine with not upgrading those parts via KRND, I'm more interested in modifying engines, batteries, solar panels, and RCS wheels. I tried changing the parts.cfg file in the KRND folder, but I'm not sure exactly how to do it. 

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[KRnDModule]] is the original. If I were to somehow make this line NOT do its thing if it was a procedural part, would that keep it from interfering maybe? 

Could I write it like... this?

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[KRnDModule]]:!HAS[MODULE[ProceduralPart]]

is the colon interpreted as an "and"? or an "or"? And can I do an :AFTER[ProceduralPart] so that it runs the cfg patch after procedural parts and doesn't mess with them? Or maybe it would be better to run it before so that procedural parts can steamroll over KRND?

EDIT: Or maybe I could write a new patch that goes through and removes the KRnD module from all the procedural parts?

Edited by Kerbonaut257

6 hours ago, Kerbonaut257 said:

Is there a way that I can make this mod IGNORE procedural parts? I'm fine with not upgrading those parts via KRND, I'm more interested in modifying engines, batteries, solar panels, and RCS wheels. I tried changing the parts.cfg file in the KRND folder, but I'm not sure exactly how to do it. 

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[KRnDModule]] is the original. If I were to somehow make this line NOT do its thing if it was a procedural part, would that keep it from interfering maybe? 

Could I write it like... this?

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[KRnDModule]]:!HAS[MODULE[ProceduralPart]]

is the colon interpreted as an "and"? or an "or"? And can I do an :AFTER[ProceduralPart] so that it runs the cfg patch after procedural parts and doesn't mess with them? Or maybe it would be better to run it before so that procedural parts can steamroll over KRND?

EDIT: Or maybe I could write a new patch that goes through and removes the KRnD module from all the procedural parts?

I would expect something like this to work (keep in mind I just perused the Module Manager spec after having not dealt with it for a couple years):

@PART[*]:AFTER[TweakScale]:HAS[!MODULE[KRnDModule|TweakScale]]

Edit: That would work for TweakScale. | and & operators are only explicitly said to be supported by using an example in when using :NEEDS but the wiki documentation lists boolean logic operators as just being general operators so I assume they apply to everything.

It would seem that Module Manager would be fine with multiple :HAS statements but that'd be rather longer than my example above and would get very long when adding more mods that shouldn't be touched.

Perhaps a better general solution would be this:

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[KRnDModule|TweakScale]]:FINAL

Just keep adding ors...ores...oars...*ahem* ... OR operators and mod names to the end. If any one is installed, the whole statement evaluates to false and the part isn't matched. Sorry that was me being silly and tired. MM doesn't work like that.

Of course, this is going to match a lot of parts. TweakScale itself covers a whole hell of a lot of things, including stock command pods and the like. Which will very likely largely defeat the purpose of the mod. So while it might technically make this mod compatible with other procedural parts mods (in that it wouldn't keep causing weird, undefined behaviour), I'd sooner label it with hard conflicts in CKAN and just say "don't do it", if it were up to me.

Perhaps the authors of TweakScale and other procedural parts mods can offer some help in fixing the underlying issues, instead of relying on a Module Manager patch to just exclude the mod from parts to the point of relative non-existence.

Edited by phoenix_ca

18 minutes ago, Jansn67 said:

This Mod is part oriented. Just dont upgrade your Procedural Parts.

That doesn't work. I didn't do any upgrades to procedural parts, but any size procedural fuel tank will still only have 95/116 fuel in it when it actually rolls out to the launchpad. It's silly :/

If I made a NEW cfg file in the KRnD folder, called it whatever, would module manager run it?

If I wrote something like:

@PART[*]:HAS[MODULE[ProceduralPart]]:FINAL
    {
    -MODULE, KRnDModule {}
    {

I want this to remove the KRnDModule from ALL parts which have the proceduralpart module.

I can't seem to get this to work though. I think I made a mistake somewhere.

Edited by Kerbonaut257

Just wanted to let you know that KRnD is now available via CKAN thanks to politas.

As for the tweaking of the module-manager configs to get KRnD running alongside various procedural parts, I would suggest editing the parts.cfg of KRnD to only install the mod on the most important parts that you want to upgrade (engines, fuel-tanks, etc), leaving all the other parts alone.

On 6/12/2016 at 0:35 AM, -MM- said:

Just wanted to let you know that KRnD is now available via CKAN thanks to politas.

As for the tweaking of the module-manager configs to get KRnD running alongside various procedural parts, I would suggest editing the parts.cfg of KRnD to only install the mod on the most important parts that you want to upgrade (engines, fuel-tanks, etc), leaving all the other parts alone.

Excellent news.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, this is a great mod but This mod interferes with KIS /KAS , it prevents the connection port part from stacking in inventory. You'll need to do the below to correct it. 

"They are stackable until you install a mod that adds extra modules to them. KIS can only stack parts that have known modules. If you have DRE installed then it's likely the issue. If not that it's some other mod. There are two ways to have it fixed:

1. Figure out the mod that affects the ports. Then, find out which module it adds (it's usually done via a MM patch), and whitelist it in KIS settings file under "StackableModule" section.
  2. Do the investigation in #1 and then ask the mod's author to make a ModuleManager patch which will update KIS settings file with the proper modules."

Strange I've used KIS and KAS with this from the start without the issue you're experiencing even having 20 connection ports stacked last night when playing (1.1.2). Are you trying this with 1.1.2 or 1.1.3? If you are using 1.1.3 it is likely a version compatibility issue and not a conflict problem.

The problem went away when I added the krnd module to the exception list. Hopefully a third person can confirm if this is an issue or not. I'll check if this is a version issue again. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2016 at 1:53 PM, Kerbonaut257 said:

If I made a NEW cfg file in the KRnD folder, called it whatever, would module manager run it?

If I wrote something like:

@PART[*]:HAS[MODULE[ProceduralPart]]:FINAL
    {
    -MODULE, KRnDModule {}
    {

I want this to remove the KRnDModule from ALL parts which have the proceduralpart module.

I can't seem to get this to work though. I think I made a mistake somewhere.

I made a file that uses the following MM lines to remove KRND from ModularFuelTanks parts.

//Remove KRnDModule from fuel tanks with ModuleFuelTank
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks]]:FINAL
{
    !MODULE[KRnDModule]{}
}

It wouldn't work until i put the @ in front of MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks].  But it works now!  I'm so excited!

Edited by Cerberus738

Quick question, does upgrading an engine's fuel flow decrease the efficiency of the engine?  I see it increases the thrust values, but I see it also increases fuel flow, kinda confusing.

No, increasing the fuel flow increases the thrust by allowing more fuel to enter the engine faster (bigger valves). This does not effect how efficiently the engine turns fuel into thrust. It converts the fuel into thrust at the same efficiency (ISP) but provides more thrust by pushing more fuel into the combustion chamber.

• 3 weeks later...