Planet Ideas And Names For The Future Of Kerbal Space Program

Dead Pixel

Since we're here, I'd like to suggest something epic.

A neutron star system with 4 planets.

Planet A:

Korona:

Habitable world with rivers instead of oceans

w/moon:

Figolia:

Another habitable world with almost no land and only one small continent close to the south pole, similar to Australia.

Planet B:

Dorina:

Eve-like world with no moons. Yellow in color, only 1 small liquid lake consisting of purple Explodium, 300km atmosphere with Kerbin sea level pressure at 200km. Nearly impossible to leave.

Planet C:

Uto:

Rocky, boring asteroid. Has a moon just 20% smaller than its brother:

Kiu:

A circular, mountainous moon/planet. No atmosphere.

Planet D:

Yowana:

A huge gas giant with tiny amount of rings, has 2 huge moons:

Ikiribati:

Gilly-shaped, 2 times the size of Kerbin.

Zora:

Duna-like, purple/gray world without liquids. 5 times the size of Kerbin.

The neutron star required acquiring an FTL drive which then gets you to a cut scene of your ship disappearing and then appearing at a space center on Korona, similar to that of the KSC but non-upgradable and with all of the parts you had when you left Kerbin.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'd like some sort of Titan equivalent, larger than Moho, with atmosphere and ludicrously low temperatures with lakes of hydrocarbons, (which could be used for fuel for colonies or something?). I like the proposed submarine nasa have been talking about and would love some planets to send some submersible craft to explore :)

• 2 weeks later...

a neptune equivalent, with a titan-like moon, and more dwarf planets (between jool and the neptune analogue, inside mono's orbit, etc.)

also, a way to go inside the planets and moons. like drilling to oceans underground on minmus, vall, eeloo and stuff. tylo should be made more icy, and have an underground ocean. and parts for weather balloons (like atmosphere colonies), electric propellers for planes and submarines. laythe should have some kind of life seeing as it has oxygen, which is ridiculously reactive and must be continually replenished. i mean like sea plants and stuff. vall shouldn't exist, it should have been gravity-assisted into kerbol orbit a long time ago. i suggest it to be made into a dwarf planet. give eeloo geysers, and minmus and vall. jool needs rings, maybe put them where vall was.

What simulator are you using to make this?

That'd be Universe Sandbox. Judging by that picture it's Universe Sandbox 1. $10 on steam and is well worth it if your into messing around or even creating new things.

Universe Sandbox 2 is also out (on the website, US $25), which features a better physics engine, more possibilites, enhanced graphics and many more features. I own no. 2 myself, and it's a great little game. Pretty active development, too!

Everyone is talking about the other solar systems' layout and their planets' and moons' shape and colour but I have a suggestion about how to discover them.

I'm thinking about an observatory between the Tracking Station and the R&D Facility which would also have 3 levels as the other buildings at the Kerbal Space Center. At higher levels it would have better zooming abilities and wider field of vision.

Once you're in the Observatory you'll see something similar to what would you see in the Tracking Station, except you'll look at space from a stationary point in the surface of Kerbin. At the middle of your screen a white circle (or rectangle) would indicate the part of the night sky you'll have a closer look at after the zoom. I also suggest that the parts of space where you were previously looking at should be marked or signed somehow.

Finally after you'll build your level 3 Observatory you should be able to attach a space telescope camera to one of your existing satellites to take the best zooming technology into the most suitable medium - space.

Not a full asteroid belt, but some bigger worlds of the Pallas/Ceres/Vesta sort, scattered through the same orbital space (but not in the same orbit.) We have one in-game at the moment, Dres, but the big point is that they have been known for about 200 years. We have the more-transient asteroids coming and going that can be pinned down if we track them.

As for something like the Pluto-Charon pair, we get a real fly-by in mid-July, and then a long wait for the data. But it's not really something that the game engine would manage well, two worlds in each other's SOI.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not a big fan of more gas planets to be honest. I would rather see more interesting planets that you could land on and explore. Maybe a binary planet system like Pluto and Charon. Definitely more habitable planets. Maybe planets with underground oceans, A Europa analog. And more things to discover on the planets. The science system in KSP is kind of weak. You can basically fit all the science experiments onto one probe. Not to mention things like temperature and gravity aren't the most interesting things to discover. Maybe a more robust science system where the planets have a lot of really cool things to be discovered and every mission uncovers more and more until you make big discoveries like life or the origins of the planet or where it's ancient moon disappeared to. Definitely a detailed robust story for the planets.

• 2 weeks later...

WHERE is all of this stuff? Will it ever be added. Or did the Death Star destroy them all. Was eeloo a lame replacement for a gas planet 2. COME on I want moar planets with atmospheres and oceans and more stuff to do. I love the game but I sometimes think squad needs to add planets to continue the game.

Eert: A life supporting (oxygenated atmosphere and surface ice) terrestrial giant planet. Gravity like 6 Kerbins and Atmosphere twice of Eve. Maybe orbits beetween Dres and Jool. Maybe oceans/lakes along the equador. One day is really long.

Ecia: "satellite" of Eert. Half the size, orbits at a stationary orbit and is tidally locked to Eert. No oxygen, Duna-like atmosphere, maybe just twice as dense.

• 3 weeks later...
Some general concepts for changes and addition that are drifting around my head (not to say this is the way they'll be though, we've all gotta generally agree what to implement and this is just my take! Plus discovery mechanics and hence the rest of the system won't happen for many updates)

Jool: Actually the second-smallest gas giant, with unusually large moons. All other gas giants would have objects smaller than or comparable to Moho.

- Laythe: Very volcanic because of its proximity and the tidal forces from the other moons. Still oceans of water, but now with actual active volcanos with lava lakes (that destroy things)

- Vall: Never liked the design of vall too much. I'd like to make it a bit more like eeloo, with large cracks in the ice and a more chaotic surface.

- Tylo: Never liked this either, also needs to be redone. Perhaps turned into a highly-contrasting body like Iapetus.

- More tiny moons: Just a bunch of small moonlets, at least 20. Probably would be nameable by the player or given designations (ex. J-17 for the 17th moon of Jool discovered)

Gas planet 2: ~50% larger than Jool, with rings. Early version shown on a stream a while ago.

- Eeloo: Relocated to orbit GP2, now with large geysers that can knock your ship around (prototyped several weeks ago, they function quite well)

- Daphy: Unusually smooth and round ball of fluff. An asteroid which has accumulated material from the rings, practically no gravity.

- Potatus: Small moon with relatively high inclination relative to GP2's equator. Composed of ices surrounding a highly dense core. Very rapid rotation (21 minutes) causes it to be stretched into an oblate spheroid (prototyped a while ago, the physics actually work and are really cool)

- Fonso: Largest moon, ~300 km radius. Very mountainous, with a thick atmosphere that only extends partway up the mountains (as in, the mountain peaks are in vacuum, while the proper surface is at two atmospheres)

- Tiny moons: Same case as Jool

Gas planet 3: Perhaps not an actual gas planet, could be a 2000km rocky planet with a thick atmosphere (have fun landing under 6g and 30 atmospheres of pressure)

- Moon with rings? Would have to be diffuse rings as well as recent, fully-formed rings wouldn't last long in that position.

Gas planet 4: Who knows.

Beyond: Who knows x2

I have a suggestion for a planetary system, which could potentially fill the "GP3" or "GP4" slot;

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Glisse: (gliss-uh)

A potential Uranus/Neptune analogue, Glisse is an ice giant roughly 0.7 times the size of Jool with a faint ring system and 3 (or more) major moons. Glisse is a pale blue color with visible storms. It spins faster than Jool, giving it a much more violent atmosphere (hence the visible storms).

Aano: (ah-noh)

Perhaps an Io/Titan analogue, Aano is a highly volcanic moon, roughly the size of Vall, which orbits inside of Glisse's ring system. Due to its close proximity to Glisse, tidal forces are constantly pulling the planet apart, resulting in a very violent and chaotic surface. Aano's surface is covered with huge fissures filled with running lava, as well as hundreds of active volcanoes and lava gysers, making this moon very perilous to explore. Aano also has a thin but dense atmosphere composed of dust and volcanic fumes.

Theto: (th-ey-tow)

Theto is a desolate rocky moon slightly bigger than Laythe, with no atmosphere and of similar coloration to that of the Mun. Unlike the Mun, however, Theto has very few craters, and strange channels on its surface that suggest that it may have once had some kind of liquid flowing on its surface. Theto's surface is also rich in exotic minerals.

Von: (von)

A small rocky moon smaller than Ike but larger than Minmus, orbiting Glisse in a highly eccentric orbit.

Feel free to use these ideas at your will. I'm sure that whatever you guys come up with, it will be awesome.

Edited by Third_OfFive

A lot of the suggestions here involve lava/volcanic activity, has anyone actually tried putting this in a mod? Since oceans already help cool parts down, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to make oceans that do the opposite. It'd be especially interesting now we have radiators, imagine massive floating bases at the brink of overheating constantly cooled by huge radiator arrays.

How about a close to closeish binary terrestroid pair (possibly distorted into egg-shapes and with a shared atmosphere? Might make SOI's a tad hard to work out though!) with their mutual orbit inclined at 30-50 degrees to the ecliptic, and a small moon of the pair rotating at close to 90 degrees to the plane of the pair's mutual orbit?

Also, with regard to a Jovian, howsabout a rocky planet right where L4 or L5 would be; no, NOT to simulate a la Grange point, the idea being that L4 and L5 tend to acumulate matter, perhaps in this instance enough gathered together to make a sizable ball of rock.

I also like the idea of a red dwarf star way out, orbiting Kerbol, maybe with 2-3 bodies orbiting it, close-in.

A lot of the suggestions here involve lava/volcanic activity, has anyone actually tried putting this in a mod? Since oceans already help cool parts down, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to make oceans that do the opposite. It'd be especially interesting now we have radiators, imagine massive floating bases at the brink of overheating constantly cooled by huge radiator arrays.

Fair point, but it would be cooler if we had one in vanilla

another gas giant that has rings (preferably asteroids) and tons of moons! (i will be the analog for saturn) and two other gas giants kinda boring ones with like 3 moons each (uranus and neptune) (and i know they have way more the 3 moons) and then move on to other solor syestem hopefully we will have a hole galexy (with a black hole in the middle please) and....ya.

What I'd like to see is something like laythe, or a modifyed laythe. Basically, a planet, wich is very very close to the blue gas giant, and that gas giant covers most of its sky. The blue gas giant would have animated vortexes (like ones that Jupiter has), and you could watch them spinning in real-time. Maybe it should have plants on it, oxygen, and canyons where you can drive your planes?

What I'd like to see is something like laythe, or a modifyed laythe. Basically, a planet, wich is very very close to the blue gas giant, and that gas giant covers most of its sky. The blue gas giant would have animated vortexes (like ones that Jupiter has), and you could watch them spinning in real-time. Maybe it should have plants on it, oxygen, and canyons where you can drive your planes?

I feel that if a moon were that close to the planet, it would be far too chaotic for life or a hospitable atmosphere.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.