[0.3] Unmanned pod

This uses a weirdness of the part loader, so it should also work with code changes in the pod, but it will probably need to be reuploaded with the new pod from .16...

There will be very big changes to the very way command pods work. I suspect that MechJeb will break, too. With actual crew simulation implemented, there\'s no telling how the functionality of the CM will look, but it\'ll be different from what we have now. Also, this mod may become redundant, since multiple, crewed pods might become a stock feature again.

(With thanks for the personal touch. :D)

I\'ve been experimenting. This setup will work if you make sure the original pod - the pod you select at the very beginning of a new design - is the uppermost or forward pod, with all additional pods added inline, not radially, and always below or behind the first pod. If you try to add pods radially, the controls are broken. If you try to add a pod above or in front of the original pod, the game breaks.

(With thanks for the personal touch. :D)

I\'ve been experimenting. This setup will work if you make sure the original pod - the pod you select at the very beginning of a new design - is the uppermost or forward pod, with all additional pods added inline, not radially, and always below or behind the first pod. If you try to add pods radially, the controls are broken. If you try to add a pod above or in front of the original pod, the game breaks.

Sounds like you\'re hatching an evil plan to remake the GRUNT series, no?

Absolutely, yes. The vacation lasted much longer than I planned or expected, but I am now inspired to get back to work. Tested one very basic design - just boosted a little capsule into orbit with a dirt simple SRB plane - and verified this setup will work like I\'ve always wanted it to. I\'m excited. 8)

I may have been wrong about the extra pods needing to be behind the first. I\'m trying to figure out the various glitches... just figured out that one frequent problem is that sometimes when I grab the pod to move the entire vehicle in the VAB, the game suddenly thinks the pod is now a strut, and can\'t handle a vehicle with no control pod. For now, I think the workaround will be to use some pods only as primaries, and other pods only as secondaries.

To fight misscontrol glitches, i build probe as a whole first, and then place it on where it should be, even using symmetry rules (ie multiplying). For now i have only two carriers models, both of them carry 2 probes. One is fully reusable spaceplane and another is conventional rocket. No significant problems with them.

Further testing shows this:

*After decoupling an unmanned pod with Mechjeb, it becomes a ship with its own crew.

*A half meter Mechjeb on top of an unmanned pod is the best configuration.

* With unmanned pods on your current ship, crew will show up at the top of the screen.

As this mod basically needs MechJeb, would adding MechJeb code to the extra pods\' cfg files be the best way to go? The radial and AR202 MJ units are basically free anyway, so might as well integrate their functionality in to the extra pods.

As this mod basically needs MechJeb, would adding MechJeb code to the extra pods\' cfg files be the best way to go? The radial and AR202 MJ units are basically free anyway, so might as well integrate their functionality in to the extra pods.

I still haven\'t tested it without Mechjeb, so i\'m not sure about this.

Just editing CFG files, do not provide that effect. Thats something lying deeper.

Well, it\'s most likely because the part\'s name is the same as the command module, but the game thinks it\'s a structural piece in the V.A.B.

So, I\'d think that in the V.A.B it\'s listed as a structural piece, then when the game loads the command module must be loaded first as it\'s the root of the ship. Then, this overrides the structural ones as they have the same internal name, and thus they become true command pods.

Has anyone tried using these with a modded command module part, or a spaceplane pod?

Wow, just saw i got a mention in the series. Thanks. There is also no way to get around the bugs because the mod itself is mostly a glitch.

Oh, and about that larger landing gear...

Edit: Just saw the bugs you encountered. Putting a warning in op.

Wow, just saw i got a mention in the series. Thanks. There is also no way to get around the bugs because the mod itself is mostly a glitch.

Oh, and about that larger landing gear...

Edit: Just saw the bugs you encountered. Putting a warning in op.

It\'s easily possible to get around the strange bugs. Change the part\'s internal name to something other than the stock pod, and everything will be fine (but then detached craft will no longer be controllable).

Using this, I was able to kill 57 Kerbals in one mission.

Thank you.

Death Toll:

Aldald Kerman

Dessen Kerman

Kirsby Kerman

Gervin Kerman

Aldfurt Kerman

Alddorf Kerman

Hudcott Kerman

Macbert Kerman

Bursen Kerman

Richbald Kerman

Steve Kerman

Patnie Kerman

Philsy Kerman

Shepfurt Kerman

Nelrey Kerman

Bobald Kerman

Erwig Kerman

Jedfurt Kerman

Nelwell Kerman

Gerrim Kerman

Phillie Kerman

Harnie Kerman

Gerlock Kerman

Aldton Kerman

Bobrey Kerman

Geneger Kerman

Neilrick Kerman

Gersby Kerman

Dunvey Kerman

Billy-Bobley Kerman

Aldfurt Kerman

Elski Kerman

Kenald Kerman

Harsen Kerman

Seanfry Kerman

Mitsy Kerman

Dudlin Kerman

Barwig Kerman

Hennand Kerman

Merbles Kerman

Harmy Kerman

Shepnie Kerman

Nedmy Kerman

Bobley Kerman

Danley Kerman

Nedrie Kerman

Genecott Kerman

Siglin Kerman

Tom Kerman

Geofmy Kerman

Aldwell Kerman

Buzz Kerman

Luke Kerman

Gregmund Kerman

Deslan Kerman

Merfry Kerman

Wehrlorf Kerman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.