Quad-Island Hopping (Back From the Dead!)

With great joy I present the Quad-Island Hopping Challenge! The challenge itself: Land on all four of the KSC islands in the shortest in-game time with the largest craft; that is, the four islands off the coast of the KSC. Please return to the KSC once you have landed on all of the islands. Jets or rocket planes are acceptable.

Please present your submission as an Imgur album or a video. In the case of the album, please provide a screenshot on each island and back at KSC. Realizing that my computer is strange, please show the mission clock at KSC landing, or F3. The mass of your craft is also required.

Points will be calculated with this formula: Points = mass (kg) / time (sec)

Any feedback is appreciated!

Leaderboard: (Highest Score per Competitor)

1. @michal.don - 120.7 points
  2. @Dfthu -  114.6 points
  3. @Scarecrow -  71.5 points
  4. @JebsDead -  67.7 points
  5. @Caithloki - 8.9 points
  6. @Daeridanii - 5.2 points

Rules:

• No Hyperedit or F12 may be used during the challenge. It's all right to have Hyperedit installed, I use it for testing too.
  • No VTOLs. This shall be defined as any craft with a stationary thrust vector of less than -10 degrees. This may be subject to change in the future.
  • MODS -

ACCEPTABLE -

- Visual (Planet Packs, VSR, etc.)

- Informational (KER, VOID, etc) 

- Stock Bug Fix Modules - game optimization or improvement mods are good

NOT ACCEPTABLE -

- Part Packs - This is a stock challenge (NOTE: You may have part packs installed, just don't put them on your plane)

- Hyperedit - For obvious reasons :wink:

- FAR will have a separate category once we have some FAR entries

• Please come to a stop at each island.
  • If you feel that any of these rules are out of date or overly restrictive, please PM me.

Here's a map, courtesy of Kerbalmaps.

11310Dz.jpg

Badges:

Standard:

SFyczf4.png

Monochrome:

Swn38FX.png

Edited by Daeridanii

• 3 months later...

I think this is a nice challenge I just have one question. What's the deal with no VTOLs? Since 1.1 has made landing gear worthless and glitchy I cannot extend them or use the brakes at the will of the kraken. My issue is that I cannot deploy gear to take off and when it does ( every 5 attempts) the brakes do not work so I slide off the mountain. A single Vertical take off engine would make it so much easier and I would be able to escape the glitching.

Although nice badge though..... very nice.....

6 hours ago, StahnAileron said:

... How did you figure 165 seconds when your in-game MET clock says nearly 8 minutes (475 seconds or so)????

It was a typo.  The result was correct though.

7:45 = 465 seconds

8175 / 465 = 17.58

EEK!!! I thought my challenge was dead, sorry for not putting you guys on the list earlier!

On 6/2/2016 at 1:28 PM, JacobJHC said:

Although nice badge though..... very nice.....

I can smell the sarcasm here, new, shinier badges have been provided.

4 hours ago, Daeridanii said:

EEK!!! I thought my challenge was dead, sorry for not putting you guys on the list earlier!

I can smell the sarcasm here, new, shinier badges have been provided.

I like the old badge :P, i'm keeping it.

Ok, I did this using my trusty A-12. Weight is 17.392T and 16 Min and 21 Sec. (981) = 17.7 points. The 3rd island is steep and to land on, I had to go a-round a couple times.

Edited by Dfthu

14 hours ago, Dfthu said:

Ok, I did this using my trusty A-12. Weight is 17.392T and 16 Min and 21 Sec. (981) = 17.7 points. The 3rd island is steep and to land on, I had to go a-round a couple times.

Great job! Putting you on the leaderboard.

1 hour ago, michal.don said:

Hi, is Kerbal Joint Reinforcement mod allowed? Other than that, I'm sure my mods don't interfere with the challenge, but with KJR I'm not sure.

Michal.don

Seeing as it adds a measure of realism, and considering it shouldn't affect the results more than a few more struts, I'll say yes.

Great, thank you. The only reason I have KJR installed is because it's the only thing i know that protects my Mun base from being violently disassambled by an especially vile kind of Kraken :) 

Anyway, this is my entry with an airplane built for this challenge, the Island Hopper:

At 78 719 kgs, and a time of 10 minutes 52 seconds (652 s), I believe I scored 120,7 points. The time is far from optimal, because I suck as a pilot, but I'm quite proud of my design :) I am sorry that I wasn't able to take a proper picture (just the close-up) from the third island, the landing was quite wild, and I concentrated on not breaking the plane. I am also aware that I didn't bring the plane to a complete stop on the two steeper islands, but I checked the other entries, and it seems it isn't an issue, as long as it is a proper landing, not only a hit-ang-go.

I hope everything is documented properly, 

Michal.don

Edited by michal.don
few typos

3 hours ago, michal.don said:

Great, thank you. The only reason I have KJR installed is because it's the only thing i know that protects my Mun base from being violently disassambled by an especially vile kind of Kraken :) 

Anyway, this is my entry with an airplane built for this challenge, the Island Hopper:

At 78 719 kgs, and a time of 10 minutes 52 seconds (652 s), I believe I scored 120,7 points. The time is far from optimal, because I suck as a pilot, but I'm quite proud of my design :) I am sorry that I wasn't able to take a proper picture (just the close-up) from the third island, the landing was quite wild, and I concentrated on not breaking the plane. I am also aware that I didn't bring the plane to a complete stop on the two steeper islands, but I checked the other entries, and it seems it isn't an issue, as long as it is a proper landing, not only a hit-ang-go.

I hope everything is documented properly, 

Michal.don

Everything looks good, and that's quite an impressive score. Good job!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.