The Fastest Plane - SB-2 Albatross (2700+ M/S)

The SB-2 Albatross was originally meant to be a orbital bomber, but I saw the high speeds it could reach in the atmosphere and it gained a new purpose, to be the fastest plane! I'm not sure if this is the fastest plane in KSP, but I could not find a single stage traditional plane on YouTube that exceeded this speed.

I made a challenge thread called Air Speed Record! Here's a link to it! http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/132268-air-speed-record-challenge/#comment-2412910

And no, it isn't just a matter of having non air breathing engines so I can reach that altitude, I still got it to go to 1600-1700 M/S at 10km up.

Subscribe and like so this channel can continue to grow please :) Lastly can you please tell me what you think of the video quality, I am trying some new recording software called OBS.  Thanks!!

Anyway, here's the video.

Song: Electric Joy Ride - Origin

Edited by AquaAlmond Productions

20 minutes ago, AquaAlmond Productions said:

The SB-2 Albatross was originally meant to be a orbital bomber, but I saw the high speeds it could reach in the atmosphere and it gained a new purpose, to be the fastest plane! I'm not sure if this is the fastest plane in KSP, but I could not find a single stage traditional plane on YouTube that exceeded this speed.

If you have or can make a faster plane, feel free to post screenshots/video in the comments.

Anyway, here's the video.

Song: Electric Joy Ride - Origin

Video won't load...

How fast was it?

I'll put my SR-71 against it at 12km 1336.9 ms, in real atmosphere it's not just a matter of having rockets to go above air breathing altitude

Edit: OK you beat that on the way up, though you would have exploded if you had of stayed at that altitude, still speed is limited by atmospheric heating, so your top speed at 13km would be a lot less than your top speed at 26km, you can only compare against others at the same altitude. Still I will acknowledge that you have the fastest in air speed (below 40km?) that I have seen so far, though people have re-entered at above 3kms (whether they survived i'm not sure)

Edited by selfish_meme

6 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

I'll put my SR-71 against it at 12km 1336.9 ms, in real atmosphere it's not just a matter of having rockets to go above air breathing altitude

Edit: OK you beat that on the way up, though you would have exploded if you had of stayed at that altitude, still speed is limited by atmospheric heating, so your top speed at 13km would be a lot less than your top speed at 26km, you can only compare against others at the same altitude. Still I will acknowledge that you have the fastest in air speed (below 40km?) that I have seen so far, though people have re-entered at above 3kms (whether they survived i'm not sure)

I got it to reach around 1500-1700 M/S at that 10km altitude in previous tests.

31 minutes ago, AquaAlmond Productions said:

I got it to reach around 1500-1700 M/S at that 10km altitude in previous tests.

But only for moments while you were passing through that altitude, if you didn't keep ascending you would blow up pretty quick, virtually nothing survives more than a second or two at 10km above 1200ms, I know I have tested a lot of stuff.

20 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

But only for moments while you were passing through that altitude, if you didn't keep ascending you would blow up pretty quick, virtually nothing survives more than a second or two at 10km above 1200ms, I know I have tested a lot of stuff.

Well it's closer to 1400 M/S when aircraft do blow up, but it couldn't be the fastest plane even with heat shields to reach that speed so I had to turn on the heat cheat. I'm slightly confused by what you mean though, are you saying that it can reach the speed I said (1500-1700) but only for a few seconds? Or just that it would explode at that speed?

12 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

My 23-ton huge Duna mission reentry craft, after burning up all its fuel to get a Kerbin flyby smashed into the atmosphere at a whopping 6 KM/S. The craft's main body was made of radiator panels and it had 5 3.75M heatshields. It was meant to land with a full capacity of 12 crew. Basically, what happened is that the ship had each layer of radiators peeled off as it slowed down, and blowing up in a very traumatic manner. At one point in the 3-minute descent (I was lagging hard), a hitchhiker container carrying 4 kerbals kinda disappeared. To this day, nobody knows where they ended up. At the end of the uncontrolled reentry, all that was left was Bob, a science lab, 2 parachutes and a OKTO probe core with a tiny bit of reserve power.

3 minutes ago, The Optimist said:

My 23-ton huge Duna mission reentry craft, after burning up all its fuel to get a Kerbin flyby smashed into the atmosphere at a whopping 6 KM/S. The craft's main body was made of radiator panels and it had 5 3.75M heatshields. It was meant to land with a full capacity of 12 crew. Basically, what happened is that the ship had each layer of radiators peeled off as it slowed down, and blowing up in a very traumatic manner. At one point in the 3-minute descent (I was lagging hard), a hitchhiker container carrying 4 kerbals kinda disappeared. To this day, nobody knows where they ended up. At the end of the uncontrolled reentry, all that was left was Bob, a science lab, 2 parachutes and a OKTO probe core with a tiny bit of reserve power.

I hope Bob doesn't get motion sickness

5 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

2798ms stock, no f12 heat turned off, no exploding, I even forgot to drop my drop tank

Hide contents

I made a challenge thread called Air Speed Record and you may have a shot, http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/132268-air-speed-record-challenge if you do the challenge make sure to follow the rules

On February 16, 2016 at 11:30 PM, selfish_meme said:

My RAPIER driven basic craft did over 1300 m/s at 500 meters above the sea. And has a fail safe. Never will overheat. The nose cone explodes, and slows the craft. By then all oxidizer is expended and you can simply cruise home.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.