say hello to the VSS unity

insert_name

I know the media may love to focus on failure, but I would have hoped that especially KSP players would be more understanding of how difficult a task Virgin Galactic have taken on. The fact that they are not only the first to get anywhere near a commercial craft capable of carrying fare paying passengers, but to do it with a solution that has never been used for manned space vehicles before.

I fully support their quest, and if I could afford the ticket I would be on the waiting list :).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
16 hours ago, DAL59 said:

Weren't they supposed to start manned flights by 2008... they are officially now ten years behind schedule.  

Customers in 2009, by the original plan. So not quite ten years yet, but getting there.

And, by the way: all those test flights they're doing are already crewed. Just not with paying customers.

4 hours ago, Nibb31 said:

I find the term "spacecraft" might be a bit of an exageration. The latest news are that it won't even reach the Karman line in normal operations.

No, that's for test flights. They're confident they can slim the weight down for operational use to reach the Karman line again.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2018/01/spaceshiptwo-2018-test-campaign-preparation-powered-flight/

Edited by _Augustus_

Even if they do, does it really qualify as a spacecraft ? Was the X-15 a spacecraft ? IMO, to be considered a spacecraft, it should be able to at least manoeuver in space, which means that it should be at least equipped with a TPS and RCS.

52 minutes ago, Nibb31 said:

Even if they do, does it really qualify as a spacecraft ? Was the X-15 a spacecraft ? IMO, to be considered a spacecraft, it should be able to at least manoeuver in space, which means that it should be at least equipped with a TPS and RCS.

X-15 had TPS (somewhat more heat resistant material than other vehicles) and RCS.

24 minutes ago, Nibb31 said:

X1 was an spacecraft and had RCS. Not sure abut vss unity.
Main need will be to adjust orientation for reentry, not sure if blue shepard pod needs it.

To say the truth, I am absolutely uninterested in this project. It's meaningless, probably costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, and the only thing this will accomplish is another "Did you know the richest civilian in space was _____?" fun fact, written somewhere in a Ripleys or National Geographic published book. If Virgin wants to do something in the space industry, they better come up with something actually innovative.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.