Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

Just as a cheerful follow up to tater's post, I was talking about the landing last week with a colleague and showed her it on the webcast. She was extremely impressed and her seven year old was even more so. Apparently he's currently having much fun swooshing his Lego Falcon 9 around and landing it on a Lego barge. :)

Edited by KSK

2 hours ago, Rdivine said:

How long before the actual touchdown did spaceX shutdown 2 of it's 3 firing engines for landing? In the video, i saw only 1 engine being lit up.

At 1:02 it looks like they shutdown 2 of the engines, but its hard to tell...

10 hours ago, Orbinot said:

Be kind of cool to get a camera onboard the booster...probably wouldnt survive re-entry, but would be still be awesome to watch it till it died

The last landing had live footage from the booster looking down, so there should be footage of the reentry.

I just reviewed the numbers for the Falcon FT, and I am officially impressed. In the expendable configurstion, they're able to put 22.8 metric tons into orbit using a 549.05 ton rocket, for a payload mass fraction of 4.15 percent. All while only using kerolox engines.

13 minutes ago, Norcalplanner said:

I just reviewed the numbers for the Falcon FT, and I am officially impressed. In the expendable configurstion, they're able to put 22.8 metric tons into orbit using a 549.05 ton rocket, for a payload mass fraction of 4.15 percent. All while only using kerolox engines.

It's not hard to see why. In the FT update, a first stage without payload has roughly 8.8 km/s of dV, while an independent second stage has a whopping 11.3 km/s of dV. SpaceX basically stacked a small SSTO on top of a large SSTO and called it a badass rocket. 

13 minutes ago, tater said:

Yeah, they're all about mass fraction.

"Because I'm all about that mass, 'bout that mass, mass fraction"

Another factor that is often overlooked but is perhaps far more important: payload fraction. The ratio of payload to inert stage mass at burnout is the payload fraction, and it determines how much structural margin a given design has. Ideally, your payload should be at least as massive as your inert stage mass at burnout; that way, if you need to add strength or TPS or anything else to your terminal stage, you only lose a few percent of payload for the corresponding percent increase in inert stage mass.

Payload fraction, not mass fraction, is typically what kills SSTOs. If your payload is only a tenth of your dry mass, then an unexpected 10% increase in structural weight cuts 90% of your payload. 

In its fully expendable configuration, the terminal stage of the Falcon 9 boasts not a 1:1 payload fraction, but a 5:1 payload fraction. That's money. 

37 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

"fully expendable configuration," 

That reminds me I've been meaning to ask. Will the Falcon 9 ever fly fully expendable again?

*dons Captain Obvious hat*

I guess it depends whether it would be cheaper to use a Falcon Heavy in reusable configuration to lift 20 ton payloads. Which, in turn, depends on how reusable Falcon Heavy actually is and how much of a saving reusability actually gives them.

My gut feeling is that Falcon (expendable) would probably be cheaper than Falcon Heavy (reusable) for a 20-23 payload but then my gut knows exactly diddly-squat about rocket science. :)

*doffs Captain Obvious hat*

There is the whole issue of "mass production" to consider. Reuse with current, very limited payloads to compete for means that reuse directly diminishes manufacturing output, which might very well harm cost efficiency. It might be cheaper to keep production busy and expend launchers than it is to reuse them.

14 minutes ago, tater said:

There is the whole issue of "mass production" to consider. Reuse with current, very limited payloads to compete for means that reuse directly diminishes manufacturing output, which might very well harm cost efficiency. It might be cheaper to keep production busy and expend launchers than it is to reuse them.

Depends if the upperstage merlins use the same production line as the lowerstage. If each lowerstage gets 11 launches, that's the same production (of merlins) as 2 complete launches, fully replaced, and far more of economy of scale for upperstage production.

25 minutes ago, tater said:

That's true regarding engines. I was thinking whole stages. I suppose if they can garner a higher launch cadence, production moves to upper stages.

Not TOO much higher launch cadence. If we run with the 10/1 reuse ratio, thats 10 launches for (almost) the same Merlin production ("Engines are the most expensive part of a rocket") as 2 expendable, or a 5/1 increase in cadence to keep the current merlin production the same. SpaceX launched 6 rockets in 2014, their first  year with a serious launch cadence. At that same level of merlin production, they can field 30 falcon 9 lanches assuming full reuse- a large number, but not terribly greater than the global launch market figures I've seen posted around, IIRC.

Of course, the wildcard in the deck is Falcon Heavy Core reuse.

If it can be reused, that's 3 reusable cores to only 1 upperstage. If it cant, it's an expendable falcon 9 PLUS 2 reuable boosters.

Edited by Rakaydos