Types of crafts people make and more

DiamondExcavater

Types of crafts you like and make  

125 members have voted

1. 1. What did you create, and enjoy making recently

2. 2. Will you use the inflatable heat shield more than regular ones?

• YES, more than regular heat shields
    • No, less than regular shields
    • IDK

1 hour ago, Teutooni said:

I owe you a bit more of an explanation do I? :wink:

Earlier versions were lighter with mostly stock parts, ~50 ton vessel with ~4km/s delta v. They were for exploring Mun and Minmus mostly.

This is one of the latest with a lot of near future technologies unlocked, 100 tons, over 10 km/s delta v.

They were all designed to return to Kerbin orbit after each mission, dock with a crew capsule which returned science and crew to the surface. Then a fresh crew would fly up and dock with the ship, followed by a refueling drone, followed by possible lander or other mission specific thing. The lander would attach to the forward large docking port, preserving centre of mass relative to centre of thrust.

I will probably start experimenting with full blown arkships with ISRUs, full closed life support loops and such when some key mods are updated to 1.1.

Now that is a BIIG Rocket, but also a really cool design, that mod looks epic, and that is a really cool lander!

9 hours ago, Atlas2342 said:

One of the big cons of the inflatable heat shield is that it is not retractable once inflated....so yeah...

I once created a rocket with the shield pre inflated, and once on the launch pad, i could click deflate or similar, and it retracted, though i still haven't launched, so the deflating is possible with a code change

18 hours ago, Scotius said:

Since significant chunk of player base still doesn't have access to inflatable heatshield, there is no way for us to tell if we are going to use it or not. Either remove that option, or add "I don't know" available.

I think it's possible to guestimate.  I said yes, as a shield which covers a large area, but isn't in the way of things when you don't need it is bound to be more useful. 

1 hour ago, DiamondExcavater said:

Do you make houses for them? on earth?

Haha, if only I was that skilled.

Edit:

Actually, now that I think of it, I could try it.

Edited by Coeus

10 hours ago, Coeus said:

Haha, if only I was that skilled.

Edit:

Actually, now that I think of it, I could try it.

What i wonder of doing is making a massive bin like structure and getting kerbals to climb to the top and fall into the pit..

I wonder if i can stack kerbals in the bin, though i am not degrading them, only an experiment!

Has anyone also noticed that the forum page was renamed from The Lounge, to KSP Discussion?

On 4/2/2016 at 7:18 AM, DiamondExcavater said:

I've seen someone on youtube make a UFO out of 2 Inflatable Heat shields inverted, they also have lift, so if you add an internal engine on one side you could make a working flying saucer..

Think about why an engine inside of the craft won't propel it...

5 hours ago, The Optimist said:

Think about why an engine inside of the craft won't propel it...

It does work though, if you don't block the engine it will create thrust, though i do know that in the recent updates, engines cause heat damage,which when i made my own UFO with fairings, didn't exist

there's three types of KSP players

1. People who make some what realistic rockets, planes, e.t.c.

2. People who make very Kerbal-istic rockets, planes, e.t.c.

3. People who make very detailed or sci-fi rockets, planes, and space cruisers.

Edited by CodeFantastic

13 hours ago, DiamondExcavater said:

It does work though, if you don't block the engine it will create thrust, though i do know that in the recent updates, engines cause heat damage,which when i made my own UFO with fairings, didn't exist

I'm *pretty* sure it would push against the ship with equal force, not causing any movement.

8 hours ago, max_creative said:

BIG 5500 ton rockets FTW!!! I'm surprised there are only 3 hype trains.

I made a small satellite which has all the science needs, and it is 1 kick back solid booster as first stage, and from there, enough DV to get you out of the solar system with a wide orbit... (past eloo).

As if only three people made Hype trains....

Your poll is missing quite a few categories...  Where are capital ships, tanks, defensive emplacements (i guess that falls under bases), missiles, ect.

Anyways, just finished overhauling one of my very old 0.90 ships which has surprisingly remained a solid warship in both the armor and firepower department (well i upgraded all its guns to make them compatible with 1.1).

15 hours ago, panzer1b said:

Your poll is missing quite a few categories...  Where are capital ships, tanks, defensive emplacements (i guess that falls under bases), missiles, ect.

17 hours ago, nosirrbro said:

You forgot stations and landers on the poll

That would be too much, thats why I put OTHER... and besides stations aren't usually built on the ground but in space as segments, but even so, OTHER

I cant wait to put the new heatshield to use. I will use it far less than the regular one (for aerobraking maneuvers obviously, as it is not really meant for re-entry), but in key situations of interplanetary missions. Its a very nice addition to the standard heat shields and the overall maneuver gameplay.

1 minute ago, Frank_G said:

I cant wait to put the new heatshield to use. I will use it far less than the regular one (for aerobraking maneuvers obviously, as it is not really meant for re-entry), but in key situations of interplanetary missions. Its a very nice addition to the standard heat shields and the overall maneuver gameplay.

Re-entry? heat shield? I thought it was a simple inflatable raft for my kerbals to enjoy the water... thats gives me an idea for TITANIC

2 minutes ago, Frank_G said:

I saw a youtube vid, where the heatshields where hovering 2 or 3 meters above the water... Ideal for raising the Titanic and convert it into a gigantic hovercraft...

It is probably a Bug, though I would love to make a doctor who style flying titanic ship... if you've seen that episode...basically a titanic with rockets..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.