Name the Moon petition to the IAU (Not mine)

1 hour ago, Bill Phil said:

How about Selenia?

Anything will do I suppose. Like, we have "Bulan" for standard usage and "rembulan" for poetic usage.

1 hour ago, Scotius said:

Pffttt! "Selene", "Luna", "Moon"....boooring! In polish, we have really cool names for ol' silver coin in the sky: "Księżyc" for everyday use, and "Miesiąc" when we want to sound fancy and poetic :P How do you all like it? :lol:

Haha, you should make the apsides for those words... probably someone will like it XD

All these names are too complicated to remember. So I came up with a different and more revolutionary and simple solution.  I petition to name the Moon Æ.  We the name the other things based on their distance from Earth.  Venus is ÆÆ, Mars shall be ÆÆÆ, Mercury is ÆÆÆÆ, and the Sun shall be ÆÆÆÆÆ.  

Bodies in the Outer Solar System shall use Œ based on distance to Sun.  Ceres is Œ.  Jupiter is ŒŒ.  Saturn is ŒŒŒ, and so on.  So ŒŒŒ orbits ÆÆÆÆÆ, and NASA wants to go to ÆÆÆ by 2030.  For that matter, change the numerical system. This little buddy   ึ is stackable and thus provides imagery for how much it is.  So NASA wants to go to ÆÆÆ in  ึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึ.  

2 hours ago, Butterbar said:

All these names are too complicated to remember. So I came up with a different and more revolutionary and simple solution.  I petition to name the Moon Æ.  We the name the other things based on their distance from Earth.  Venus is ÆÆ, Mars shall be ÆÆÆ, Mercury is ÆÆÆÆ, and the Sun shall be ÆÆÆÆÆ.  

Bodies in the Outer Solar System shall use Œ based on distance to Sun.  Ceres is Œ.  Jupiter is ŒŒ.  Saturn is ŒŒŒ, and so on.  So ŒŒŒ orbits ÆÆÆÆÆ, and NASA wants to go to ÆÆÆ by 2030.  For that matter, change the numerical system. This little buddy   ึ is stackable and thus provides imagery for how much it is.  So NASA wants to go to ÆÆÆ in  ึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึึ.  

Is this a parody?

That well disciplined science of naming stuff that has been named 1000s of years ago and that everyone will ignore once you name it.

Let me ask you a question do you call a dog a dog or canis lupus domesticus.  Even if you speak a romance language you still use perra, perro, cane, mashio

Just now, PB666 said:

That well disciplined science of naming stuff that has been named 1000s of years ago and that everyone will ignore once you name it.

Let me ask you a question do you call a dog a dog or canis lupus domesticus.  Even if you speak a romance language you still use perra, perro, cane, mashio

...Either that, or everyone will hate you, like what happened for Pluto and Dwarf Planets. :P

5 hours ago, fredinno said:

Is this a parody?

What did you say, fellow human about the Æ?  The Æ is serious business, I assure you, and we should build a Æ outpost by  ึึึึึึึึึึึึ as a stepping stone to ÆÆÆ.  

2 hours ago, benzman said:

How about renaming Earth as either Terra (Latin) or Gaia (Greek).  Earth is such a dull, unimaginative name.

Thought I would get that in before the mods lock this thread!

Except that Earth is Germanic. It's similar to German "Erd" which is the same thing. Thank goodness for cognates...

It's not so much a name as a noun. The earth under your feet is the ground below your feet. I think this could be the origin of the name, or it may be a part of it. Earth means ground, there's a lot of ground on the planet, call it Earth.

9 hours ago, Butterbar said:

What did you say, fellow human about the Æ?  The Æ is serious business, I assure you, and we should build a Æ outpost by  ึึึึึึึึึึึึ as a stepping stone to ÆÆÆ.  

Using that system would be a problem. Say, you want to go to Titan, a moon of Saturn. How much Æ and Œ should you express ? Not to mention sometimes ÆÆ is farther than ÆÆÆÆÆ for half a year.

2 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

The moon has at least one name per language, per mythology. EVERYBODY names the moon and the sun. Only English speakers would be silly enough to think that the moon has only one name.

Do any other languages give it a name which is also the name of what it is? (ie: its called "The Moon" and also is a moon.)

26 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Do any other languages give it a name which is also the name of what it is? (ie: its called "The Moon" and also is a moon.)

I vote to call it "Mass" in keeping with your signature lol :wink:

59 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

French, Irish and Dutch all do for sure. I think it's a fairly logical thing to do, considering earth's moon was the only moon we knew about for millenia. We also often refer to Earth as "the world", and other planets as "other worlds".

2 hours ago, Atlas2342 said:

I vote to call it "Mass" in keeping with your signature lol :wink:

How about Solid sphere with dust on surface that orbits Wet surfaced sphere. That would be much easier. 

11 hours ago, p1t1o said:

That idea has cause and effect backward. We didn't name the moon "Moon" because it is a moon. We named it "Moon", and then when we figured out what it was, we said other things like that are "other moons". Just like we are now looking for "other Earths" around nearby stars.

12 hours ago, p1t1o said:

Going by the translations listed on Wiktionary, languages ranging from Arabic to Welsh do.

Of those that don't, a fair number instead use the same word for moons and artificial satellites.

21 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

Except that Earth is Germanic. It's similar to German "Erd" which is the same thing. Thank goodness for cognates...

It's not so much a name as a noun. The earth under your feet is the ground below your feet. I think this could be the origin of the name, or it may be a part of it. Earth means ground, there's a lot of ground on the planet, call it Earth.

How about renaming Earth as either Terra (Latin) or Gaia (Greek).  Earth is such a dull, unimaginative name.

Thought I would get that in before the mods lock this thread!

Interesting.  I didn't realise Earth was a cognate.  I suppose both earth and erd can be traced back further.  Google, here I come!  You learn something every day.

I don't think it needs a name. It's The Moon, definite article, not "a moon". 

Giving it another name looses it that status. Plus, it's a bit too tied up in human culture to change it now. Or try an impose one official name. 

Edited by Tw1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.