The Grand KSP 1.1 Discussion Thread

KasperVld

53 minutes ago, SelectHalfling0 said:

Um.... wasn't there a pre-release? I feel like all these issues should've been encountered and fixed by now.

yeah, and quite a lot of us put many hours into doing some fantastically tedious bug hunting and bug replication. A lot of bugs were found and reported, a lot of bugs were fixed, quite a lot still remained. It's not realistic to expect them all to have been fixed in the timespan that the pre-release ran for and really, release should have been delayed.  Infact we'd just been having a discussion about how another month seemed like a realistic time frame, and then suddenly; 1.1. 

1 hour ago, HebaruSan said:

I really pity Steam users with auto updates enabled on Linux who don't monitor the forum. For many of them, their experience would be, the game randomly stopped working last night and still won't load. The release announcements should at least have pointers to the workarounds to reduce the number of times the community has to explain them.

IMO, any "fails to start"/"crashes to desktop" issue should be a release blocker. I was expecting these problems, because I know KSP, and there are always problems. If I wasn't used to hacking binaries and dealing with graphics SNAFUs from all the other buggy releases, I'd be yowling for help with a game that doesn't start right about now.
Some warning about the known issues and Unity bugs in the release notes / readme would have saved me some time too.

1 hour ago, Wragie said:

After getting the 1.1 (using x64 on win10) installed and playing non-stop for about 6 hours (no I am hardly addicted at all lol) I had exactly ONE crash! And that was the win 10 display driver.

Dunno 'bout you, but to me one crash is one crash too many. Software should not crash, it should throw a scary error if something horrible happens, but not just CTD with "aborted".
If yours was the GPU drivers, cool (though the above still stands), but I've had at least one completely unexplained CTD so far, and seen some reports from others too.

Edited by steve_v

30 minutes ago, joespeed1952 said:

Okay. I've always heard how Intel is the best graphics and stuff. I am thinking of getting myself an actual gaming computer, as I am just running a laptop, and should really get a computing unit, rather than just the crappy laptop one.... I usually use an 8GB Stick with ReadyBoost on Win. It helps somewhat on minimum graphics, but I'll try x32 and see if that works better.

Intel graphics is fine for all serious stuff, like writing reports and getting paid.

But they lack a bit for having fun (and welcome to the long standing fight if Nvidia or ATI/AMD is best for gaming, brace yourself for trolls and bad language).

In all forms of computers there's a balance between speed, size, heat, cost, noise and usability.

A laptop will always be restricted in some of those.

So welcome to the scary world of 'gaming rigs', it's actually not as scary, nor necessarily expensive as many (including my significant other) would let you believe.

A decent rig can be cobbled together for very little cash, it will perform, but it will most likely be big, noisy and have very bad battery life (as in non at all).

I don't know who did the artwork for the new GUI, but sorry it looks disgusting compared to 1.05; like windows 95 compared to the windows 10 i'm used to. And for some reason the update tanked my frame rates from smooth as butter to 5-8 fps...

You guys really need to calm down and stop coming down so hard on SQUAD. This debate has been going on since the dawn of time. In the beginning it's always the same: 'OMG hurry up guise with the new release already'. And after all this pressure that gets put on a relatively small development team, they finally release the new update (probably early due to all the pressure) and you guys complain when there are bugs. Do the people complaining really truly understand what it's like to develop a game like this?

What did you expect? Do you know how small of a team SQUAD is? Do you realize the amount of pressure that gets put on them to push out a high quality product in such a small amount of time? Do you realize how difficult it can be to hunt down bugs and fix them?

I agree, 1.1 probably could of used another month before being released. But some of you just can't be pleased one way or the other. Now that 1.1 is out of pre-release, you can probably look forward to these bugs getting squished faster now. Or maybe not, in the end.

Either way, some of you really should consider cutting SQUAD some slack. They are an amazing team, they made an incredible product that countless people continue to enjoy, people that are racking up thousands and thousands of hours of enjoyment on a single purchase of 40 bucks or less. I can't remember the last time I paid $39.99 (and let's be honest, it was even that expensive; I bought the game on a Steam sale for ~$25) and could expect to receive literally thousands of hours of immense pleasure and enjoyment from it.

Stop filling this forum and this thread up with complaints. They aren't helpful. If you experience bugs or are becoming agitated because of them, why don't you do something that will actually be constructive? Report the bug. Granted, you probably already have done this, but that doesn't mean coming to the forums to complain is going to make them go away any faster.

4 minutes ago, Kokanee said:

And for some reason the update tanked my frame rates from smooth as butter to 5-8 fps...

Given that not so much has changed regarding to shaders a somewhat qualified guess is that if you had that kind of drop in FPS then you have a computer with more than one GPU and the switch to 1.1 has fooled your settings to use the lesser one.

6 minutes ago, Kokanee said:

I don't know who did the artwork for the new GUI, but sorry it looks disgusting compared to 1.05; like windows 95 compared to the windows 10 i'm used to. And for some reason the update tanked my frame rates from smooth as butter to 5-8 fps...

Make a bug report for the FPS drop if you have to and the graphics aren't THAT horrible. 

Youre re free to use mods to fix up the graphics. 

5 minutes ago, KocLobster said:

You guys really need to calm down and stop coming down so hard on SQUAD

We are users of a software that we have paid for (not much but we have).

We'll continue to whine, harass and ridicule Squad (once they're back from the release bash) just like any other producer of stuff that we like.

And quite frankly, we have the right to complain, and they have the right to giggle and ignore us :wink:

12 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

Given that not so much has changed regarding to shaders a somewhat qualified guess is that if you had that kind of drop in FPS then you have a computer with more than one GPU and the switch to 1.1 has fooled your settings to use the lesser one.

Ahhhh, yes that could be right. Intel graphics with a nvidia gaming card.... Will look into that thanks.

We've trimmed a couple of posts from this thread. Please do not insult each other. 

Also, "complaining" tends to just make everybody cranky, while politely reporting problems has a much better chance of getting constructive results. 

Hm, I booted up the game real quick out of excitement to see what 1.1 was like, I really don't know what to think now. Strangely parts of the UI like the time acceleration bar or Navball appear too large and lower quality than usual, and other parts like the escape menu are now too small, and there is no longer a sweet spot for these things when altering the UI scale in the menu. I loaded a plane on the runway and it hung in the air with the screen shaking badly, it never lowered to the runway, the engine wouldn't start as the air intakes shown non-operational, and when I made my kerbal exit the craft he bumped into the wing as he fell and the plane crumbled into many bits which floated slowly away as in zero gravity. It is as though I am playing a newly-born alpha version again..

Edit: So is this version going smoothly for other people or is my experience on par?

Edited by Nicole

Okay, so what do people think of the new rover wheels?

I personally love the improved friction, the tweakable traction, and tweakable friction.  However, the wheels will break in some seemingly low load situations, such as driving slowly into another vessel (~2 m/s).  Also, they are not repairable from EVA with a pilot in Sandbox.

2 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I personally love the improved friction, the tweakable traction, and tweakable friction.  However, the wheels will break in some seemingly low load situations, such as driving slowly into another vessel (~2 m/s).  Also, they are not repairable from EVA with a pilot in Sandbox.

I was able to repair my rover wheels with my engineer.  But yes, they break like they're made of paper.

There's something* wrong with collisions and wheels right now is the popular guess. 

Either that or they intentionally made them so weak they're unusable.

21 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

We are users of a software that we have paid for (not much but we have).

We'll continue to whine, harass and ridicule Squad (once they're back from the release bash) just like any other producer of stuff that we like.

And quite frankly, we have the right to complain, and they have the right to giggle and ignore us :wink:

I guess a mod found it appropriate to delete my earlier reply to this post.

I'll rephrase: As long as you realize you're part of the problem and not the solution, by all means...it's a free country.

Just tested the update a couple hours ago. I like it! The UI took me by surprise, but it's nice to look at. It feels... fuzzier, somehow. I like the new parts (still trying to figure out the heatshield), and I like some of the new features added to parts. Did 1.1 change aerodynamics some? I built a plane, and kept having problems where it'd spin when turning. Could be my design problem, though

15 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

We've trimmed a couple of posts from this thread. Please do not insult each other. 

Also, "complaining" tends to just make everybody cranky, while politely reporting problems has a much better chance of getting constructive results. 

This is what I was trying to say.

13 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

They're a work in progress, yeah, but they're in a better state than when the pre-release started.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.