Periodic inability to click parts in VAB

I am using KSP 1.1 64bit on Windows 64bit. At the bottom of the post I'll provide a link to my output log and a spoiler of the mods I am using. I wish I was able to fix this or figure out the issue myself, but I haven't found any similar problems online with solutions, nor am I smart enough to figure out what is wrong. It doesn't help that I have a hard time understanding the output log and don't know most of what it says. I don't know what else I can do to assist the people willing to assist me other than describe the problem :( Title says it all; While in the VAB, I periodically have the inability to click on parts. It happens fairly often, enough that the game is basically unplayable and I am going back to my 1.0.5 install until I can get help with this. Right click always works, as does shift click it seems. But when it happens, I will but unable to click on parts so that I can move them or delete them. This is not the case if I want to add new parts from the left hand part where all the new parts are. But when trying to interact with already placed parts, I periodically am unable to click on them. It is very frustrating, and I simply don't have a clue as to what could be wrong. I have looked at the exceptions thrown in the output log but they mean nothing to me, I don't understand this language at all.

Also, before anyone asks why I have three mods that are for 1.0.5 and suggesting they are likely the cause of this problem... I have already removed the mods in hopes they would fix the problem, but they didn't. I have 1.0.5 versions of KSP Better Fairings, Stockalike Station Parts Expansion, and Near Future Spacecraft because they have not been upgraded to 1.1 yet and because I have 2-3 parts in 2 vessels already launched and in space. They won't load if I don't have the mods installed, and seeing how it didn't fix this issue, I reinstalled them after making sure they weren't the cause of this VAB editor problem.

EDIT: Something kind of important I forgot to mention. This inability to click parts usually lasts for a good 30-60 seconds before it works again. This is the periodic event that I constantly experience, and is the reason why it's so frustrating.

I'd be very appreciative of any help received, thanks. :)

Spoiler

KSP: 1.1 (Win64) - Unity: 5.2.4f1 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit
USI Tools - 0.7.1
B9 Part Switch - 1.1.1
Better Science Labs Continued - 0.1.7.1
Color Coded Canisters - 1.4.3
Community Resource Pack - 0.5
Contract Configurator - 1.10.4
Contract Pack: Bases and Stations - 3.2.1
Contract Pack: Grand Tours - 0.1.10
Contract Pack: Tourism Plus - 1.4.2
CryoEngines - 0.3
CustomBarnKit - 1.1.7
DMagic Orbital Science - 1.2.3
CapCom Mission Control On The Go - 1.0.2.1
EditorExtensionsRedux - 3.2.2
Firespitter - 7.2.1
Fuel Tanks Plus - 1.8.1
HeatControl - 0.3
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 1.24
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.5.6.7
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.0.2
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.1.5
HyperEdit - 1.5
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.2.7.6
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.1
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.3
NearFutureConstruction - 0.6
NearFutureElectrical - 0.7
NearFuturePropulsion - 0.7
NearFutureSolar - 0.6
NearFutureSpacecraft - 0.4.4
RCS Build Aid - 0.8
RealChute - 1.4
SCANsat - 1.1.6
SpaceTux: Shared Assets - 0.3.9
StationPartsExpansion - 0.3.4
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.6.1
TweakScale - 2.2.7.2
USI Core - 0.2.1
Kolonization Core - 0.2.1
USI-LS - 0.4.2
UKS - 0.40.1.1
KSP Interstellar Extended - 1.8.12
Waypoint Manager - 2.5
[x] Science! - 4.15

https://www.dropbox.com/s/84f6voyhs0kss6q/output_log.txt?dl=0

PS: I know my laptop sucks and can barely run KSP; Intel integrated graphics, 1GB VRAM, and 4GB RAM are not exactly my cup of tea, but I can't do anything about it. Fortunately I will be spending ~$2000 on a new gaming rig in ~3 weeks.

Edited by KocLobster

Do you experience the exact same problem I'm describing? I'll give that a shot when I get home, but I'm 90% sure I've already done this when I was reproducing the problem every time I removed a mod in hopes that it would fix the problem.

Also worth noting is that I believe I'm experiencing this issue on a fresh stock install too, just to a lesser extent. On stock, sometimes I get this delay when clicking parts, and sometimes nothing happens when I click a part. This usually goes away faster though; I don't know if it's the same issue, just much worse on my regular modded install, or if it's irrelevant.

Edited by KocLobster

Once in a while I get that, too.

I have to click several times on a part in the menu and, less so, I can't remove a part from my craft for a few clicks.

It'll highlight when I hover over the part, but won't select it.

Though, I'm suspicious of my mouse.

2 hours ago, Mahnarch said:

Once in a while I get that, too.

I have to click several times on a part in the menu and, less so, I can't remove a part from my craft for a few clicks.

It'll highlight when I hover over the part, but won't select it.

Though, I'm suspicious of my mouse.

So do you know of any way to fix it? I somehow highly doubt we both have bad mice. Sometimes I use my trackpad on my laptop and it persists, so I know it isn't a mouse issue.

It happens frequently enough, and (more annoyingly) lasts for a long enough duration, that it makes working in the VAB (and I assume the SPH is the same) very difficult and frustrating. It is essentially too difficult to build anything in the VAB, and I am forced to play 1.0.5 :(

What I really don't understand is why a) the problem seems to exist in unmodded stock KSP, although to a somewhat not as significant degree and b) I haven't been able to find anyone experiencing this issue besides me (and you). There was one thread yesterday I saw that was sort of similar, but definitely not the same thing.

I also sometimes get crashes, particularly in the VAB, but it looks like an awful lot of people also are experiencing tons of crashes in 1.1.

Edited by KocLobster

When this happens is your KER window open if so: the look at the buttons on the top, launch, exit, save, new, etc are they grayed out if so move the KER window. It should work. Hope it helps.

4 hours ago, KocLobster said:

Do you experience the exact same problem I'm describing? I'll give that a shot when I get home, but I'm 90% sure I've already done this when I was reproducing the problem every time I removed a mod in hopes that it would fix the problem.

Also worth noting is that I believe I'm experiencing this issue on a fresh stock install too, just to a lesser extent. On stock, sometimes I get this delay when clicking parts, and sometimes nothing happens when I click a part. This usually goes away faster though; I don't know if it's the same issue, just much worse on my regular modded install, or if it's irrelevant.

It's because of the fact our computers aren't the best, so that the game skips a couple of frames sometimes. That's what's happening.

18 minutes ago, kerbalstar said:

When this happens is your KER window open if so: the look at the buttons on the top, launch, exit, save, new, etc are they grayed out if so move the KER window. It should work. Hope it helps.

Is not the issue.

36 minutes ago, kerbalstar said:

I'm sorry but I don't think this has anything at all to do with the issue at hand. The buttons at the top are only grayed out when you move the cursor over the KER engineering bar, and that is what is supposed to happen. Also, moving the KER window doesn't have any affect on this issue. I appreciate the intent, but I think you are quite wrong about the issue I'm experiencing.

Maybe the 1.1.1 update that was literally just released will fix my issue. Here's a snipet:

Spoiler

Editor:
* Performed significant optimisation of performance intensive areas such as part attaching and dettaching. 
* Implemented general optimisation throughout editor.

Still, anyone with any idea how to fix this I would very much encourage to post here, I'd greatly appreciate your help. I would be surprised if this just 'magically' went away...I'm not usually that fortunate.

• 3 weeks later...

I have that problem where I can't click on particular parts when attached to ship, or view the interface by right clicking the part before attaching to VAB. Right now, I'm too busy so I'll post screenshots, logs, and computer specs when I have time. This is my first post anyway.

• 2 months later...

Hi @KocLobster, I know this thread is a little aged already, but I experience the exact same issue. I don't know if you've found a solution already, but just in case you haven't I took a look at the mods you posted and here list all the mods we both have to maybe help narrow down the possible cause. 

Spoiler

KSP: 1.1.3 (Win64) - Unity: 5.2.4f1 - OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit
USI Tools - 0.7.1
B9 Part Switch - 1.1.1
Better Science Labs Continued - 0.1.7.1
DMagic Orbital Science - 1.2.3
CapCom Mission Control On The Go - 1.0.2.1
EditorExtensionsRedux - 3.2.2
Firespitter - 7.2.1
HeatControl - 0.3
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 1.24
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.5.6.7
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.0.2
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.1.5
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.2.7.6
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.1
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.3
NearFutureConstruction - 0.6
NearFutureElectrical - 0.7
NearFuturePropulsion - 0.7
NearFutureSolar - 0.6
NearFutureSpacecraft - 0.4.4
RCS Build Aid - 0.8
SCANsat - 1.1.6
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.6.1
TweakScale - 2.2.7.2
UKS - 0.40.1.1
[x] Science! - 4.15

What sometimes works for me is switching to part offset with the keyboard, then clicking somewhere on the screen, and then switching back to part placing and try to select the part. 

Edited by Flow

Yes, then there's the additional bug of what I call the "sticky part" that no matter what - clicking in the parts area, on the craft, or even using the delete key won't get the part off the mouse cursor. The only way to resolve it is to either reload the craft or to exit the SPH/VAB.

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Senor Wolf said:

I have a lot of the mods on that list too, and the problem is happening for me. I just recently got the [X] Science mod, perhaps this is the cause of the issue? I'll try KSP without the mod installed.

It worked fine once I uninstalled [x] Science.

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.