Randall Munroe was WRONG!

cubinator

https://xkcd.com/903/

Extended Mind

Alt-text:

Wikipedia trivia:if you click on any article, click on the first link in the article text not in parentheses and italics, and then repeat, you will eventually end up at "Philosophy".

Now, I decided to test this. I went to a random Wikipedia page. I got "Knife Sharpening". My path: Knife Sharpening -> Knife -> Blade -> Tool -> Matter -> Atom -> Matter -> Atom -> Matter -> ...

It ends in an infinite loop! The "Philosophy" myth is a lie! I thought I'd share it with the community.

25 minutes ago, cubinator said:

https://xkcd.com/903/

Extended Mind

Alt-text:

Wikipedia trivia:if you click on any article, click on the first link in the article text not in parentheses and italics, and then repeat, you will eventually end up at "Philosophy".

Now, I decided to test this. I went to a random Wikipedia page. I got "Knife Sharpening". My path: Knife Sharpening -> Knife -> Blade -> Tool -> Matter -> Atom -> Matter -> Atom -> Matter -> ...

It ends in an infinite loop! The "Philosophy" myth is a lie! I thought I'd share it with the community.

I did it with car, and got to philosophy through the mention of languages.

Just now, Alphasus said:

I did it with car, and got to philosophy through the mention of languages.

Still, it's not ANY article. I'd be interested to see how many of them actually do that though.

The link to "atom" was added on the 8 May this year. So Randall was not necessarily wrong when he wrote his comic. Before that the first link was "light", and light will indeed currently take you to philosophy.

No edit reason is given for making "atom" a link, but quite possibly it was to break Randall's very prediction. Since there's no reason for it to NOT be a link, though, it's likely to stay this way.

The atom page starts with

An atom is the smallest constituent unit of ordinary matter that has the properties of a chemical element.

If you linkify the word "unit", the Randal's Wikipedia adage returns to being true.

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/05/2016 at 9:32 PM, Tex Mechs Robot said:

the "Mathematics" article is also an infinite loop. Mathematics -> Quantity -> Magnitude

Now it goes Mathematics -> Quantity -> Property -> Philosophy.

How many Wikipedia edits are being made to guarantee Randall's prophesies?

Huh, the version of this "theory" that I heard was that you could get to the page for Hitler from literally any other page, if only you click the right links (doesn't have to be the first link in the article).  Which is actually relatively easy, because any mention of a country that was involved in WWII will likely have such info on their page, ergo linking it, eventually, to Hitler.  And WWII affected a lot of countries... and even those it didn't were often still affected in some notable way.

The last time I tested it was (oh man, I feel old now) something like 7+ years ago... maybe longer...  Not sure if it still works, but as I recall it almost always worked.

Edited by Slam_Jones

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.