[1.4.x-1.8.x] Airplane Plus - R26.4 (Fixed issues/Github is up to date) (Dec 21, 2019)

blackheart612

26 minutes ago, blackheart612 said:

@Murican_Jeb Do you mean having a nosecone instead of a propeller shaft? It already has it as an optional piece by mesh switch. I just didn't upload an image.

Edit:

It wasn't made to be the I-16 so...

BzS9hzA.png

@blackheart612 Yep, that's what I meant :D

Edit: Oh, can you also make the B-29's engine? I'm very sorry I keep hammering you with ideas, I'm just trying to help boost the mods updates, so I'f you can't do something, then you don't have to :) but please try making it at least once. Thank-you :D 

Edited by Murican_Jeb

The position of the engines in the tech tree needs adjustment.  Some should be early on, some should be later.

Most of them should be in some of early flight related nodes (based on power) except the really big ones which should be in heavy aerodynamics, and the ones capable stable flight above 16.5km which should be in high altitude flight.

The same should go with complementary parts, which should be positioned based on size.

These changes are very simple. I could make them for you.  If you had a github or bitbucket page for the project it would make it a lot easier, though.

Edited by Ruedii
Offer to make the changes.

@Ruedii We're working on it for the next patch since it's bridging towards very early flight, so tech tree optimization will soon be released (at this moment, we are leaning heavily towards performance config editing). That aside, I do love the github downloads of other modders but I'm not very good at git so I stick with I and my partner's file exchange and sometimes some additional help from here as well.

So I built a A6M Zero to dogfight a P-51 Mustang, and the A6M Is waaayyy slower than the P-51... So maybe you could increase the power of the divine wind engine?

12 minutes ago, Murican_Jeb said:

So I built a A6M Zero to dogfight a P-51 Mustang, and the A6M Is waaayyy slower than the P-51... So maybe you could increase the power of the divine wind engine?

Take it above 6000m—the Divine Wind will easily hit 230m/s at that altitude. I've got a Dornier Pfeil look-a-like with two Divine Winds, and it'll hit almost 260m/s at 10,500m.

uPe8FoM.png

Edited by kiwinanday

35 minutes ago, kiwinanday said:

Take it above 6000m—the Divine Wind will easily hit 230m/s at that altitude. I've got a Dornier Pfeil look-a-like with two Divine Winds, and it'll hit almost 260m/s at 10,500m.

uPe8FoM.png

But my P-51 can almost reach that speed at any altitude...

Edit: Also, your aircraft has two engines, so that is how it's fast. Am I able to edit the thrust in the config?

Edited by Murican_Jeb

1 hour ago, Murican_Jeb said:

But my P-51 can almost reach that speed at any altitude...

Edit: Also, your aircraft has two engines, so that is how it's fast. Am I able to edit the thrust in the config?

Do you use FAR? I'm guessing that your P-51 uses the Marlin, which my tests have shown to be good for 209m/s at sea level, and 199m/s at 8km. The equivalent airframe, with only the engine swapped to a Divine Wind, does 204m/s at sea level, and 231m/s at 8km. If you're Kraken it up, I get 229 and 214m/s, respectively.

And the Zero wasn't the fastest of fighters. A P-40 could easily outrun it, but the Zero had superior maneuverability, especially at lower speeds. 

Edit: my test airframe weighs 2.98t, sans engine.

Edited by kiwinanday

On 7/12/2016 at 8:20 AM, blackheart612 said:

@Ruedii We're working on it for the next patch since it's bridging towards very early flight, so tech tree optimization will soon be released (at this moment, we are leaning heavily towards performance config editing). That aside, I do love the github downloads of other modders but I'm not very good at git so I stick with I and my partner's file exchange and sometimes some additional help from here as well.

You don't need to use GIT for github.  A GIT GUI (built into most modern Development Environments) is preferable for handling the repository.  However, you can simply use the web interface to manage it.

@Murican_Jeb I'm afraid that the Divine Wind Radial Engine is quite overmatched. Zeros were altitude fighters back then even past wildcats. It got blown away soon enough with better superchargers from the US, iirc. And the RR Marlin is a later introduced technology. It's also quite slow. (These are all based on how I remember it)

@Ruedii Git and github alike*, I'm sorry. I'm just confused by its features. Maybe in the future I'll come to like it but not yet as of this moment.

11 hours ago, Salvator said:

This is a great mod! Do you by any chance plan to work on cockpits in the future? I personally miss a mod with some two seater cockpits. Both side-by-side and tandem, both for planes and helicopters. That would be awesome.

Somewhere in page 6 or further back, he showed a WIP cockpit. It had no IVA, so I think he's still working on it

Here is my P-51 Mustang with 2 pictures. One picture shows normal flight (when I was going to land) and the other picture show my skills on flying with one wing damage very bad (Managed to crash land after that :))

1408D27BBE8694059030B967BA29CB7360B2F49A (1280×1024)

3CEFD241008A95FEACED297C344108F0059E54F8 (1280×1024)

Edited by Murican_Jeb

You probably should learn the features of GIT-Hub by developing some patches for other projects on it first.  That way you can gradually step into the water instead of diving in the deep end of managing a project on it.

That's how I'm doing it.   I'm right at the point I'm ready to dive in and make my first project on it, but I have to decide what it is.

21 hours ago, kiwinanday said:

Do you use FAR?

Yeah, I use FAR, If I have to remove it, thats fine

Edited by Murican_Jeb

On 7/14/2016 at 7:33 PM, Murican_Jeb said:

Yeah, I use FAR, If I have to remove it, thats fine

Shouldn't be any need, I use it as well.

Maybe it's broken, but my personal favorite engine right now is the Whirlwind. It's got decent performance, and at high altitude (10.5km), it's ridiculously disgustingly efficient (4600km calculated range on 80 units of fuel). Definitely not the fastest, but it'll take you anywhere.

Edited by kiwinanday

1 hour ago, kiwinanday said:

Shouldn't be any need, I use it as well.

Maybe it's broken, but my personal favorite engine right now is the Whirlwind. It's got decent performance, and at high altitude (10.5km), it's ridiculously disgustingly efficient (4600km calculated range on 80 units of fuel). Definitely not the fastest, but it'll take you anywhere.

I wonder if the next engine will be a Freedom engine, with a side of Big Macs :lol:

@Ruedii I'll keep your advice in mind :)

@Murican_Jeb You mean, aside from being distracted in making V-12 engines that is unrelated to this mod even if I don't know how to actually make one? Well, I've given the Yak-3 and I-153 engines to Tanner Rawlings for reconfiguration. We talked a bit and it seems like we'll have more engines on next release rather than just two more so I'm making maybe one of the most popular plane's engine of World War I?

http://i.imgur.com/FRPerf3.png

(Red Baron's Fokker Dr.I)

Edit:

7W7ALhs.png

J7quBCY.png

Edit edit: This is still a quick test flight so rotary engines are wip

Edited by blackheart612

8 hours ago, blackheart612 said:

@Ruedii I'll keep your advice in mind :)

@Murican_Jeb You mean, aside from being distracted in making V-12 engines that is unrelated to this mod even if I don't know how to actually make one? Well, I've given the Yak-3 and I-153 engines to Tanner Rawlings for reconfiguration. We talked a bit and it seems like we'll have more engines on next release rather than just two more so I'm making maybe one of the most popular plane's engine of World War I?

http://i.imgur.com/FRPerf3.png

(Red Baron's Fokker Dr.I)

Edit:

7W7ALhs.png

J7quBCY.png

Edit edit: This is still a quick test flight so rotary engines are wip

Um, I meant it as a joke, but maybe you could do WWI engines :)

@Murican_Jeb What did you mean as a joke? Asking about how the mod was going?

I really am distracted making my own V12 engine

2InmOL4.jpg

Or do you mean making WWI engines? It's the next phase, and the we might attach two releases in one for the next one.

Edited by blackheart612
Grammar

53 minutes ago, blackheart612 said:

@Murican_Jeb What did you mean as a joke? Asking about how the mod was going?

I really am distracted making my own V12 engine

2InmOL4.jpg

Or do you mean making WWI engines? It's the next phase, and the we might attach two releases in one for the next one.

Ok, I wasn't clear enough on the joke. I thought you were reading this one:

17 hours ago, Murican_Jeb said:

I wonder if the next engine will be a Freedom engine, with a side of Big Macs :lol:

Sorry

10 hours ago, blackheart612 said:

making V-12 engines that is unrelated to this mod

My interest is piqued. As far as engine requests, the Jumo Inverted-V12 with annular radiator, like on the TA-152, would be cool. Optimize it as a high-altitude performer?

EDIT: Just saw that render. Whoabroh!

Edited by kiwinanday

To avoid veering off topic, here's a demo of the rotary engine I actually put up. Maybe this is the first ever rotary engine on KSP? :P 

Showcasing full animation and custom sounds, I present to you: The 9J "Baron" Rotary Engine!

Edit: Warning to headphone users.

So a little off topic again,

@kiwinanday It's not my only V12. This one's more designed to be in a tank:

iy2B7Me.jpg

Edited by blackheart612

11 hours ago, blackheart612 said:

@kiwinanday It's not my only V12. This one's more designed to be in a tank:

iy2B7Me.jpg

That looks somewhat like the rear deck layout of a Panther/Tiger—except Panthers and Tigers had the Transmission in the front.... Meteor/Cromwell?

Edited by kiwinanday