NASA's OSIRIS-REx

On 4/5/2019 at 4:43 PM, tater said:

This is an amazing shot:

Here's another

20190307-PolyCam-Cracked-Rock.png

Rocks and Boulders near Bennu’s Equator

This image shows the rocky surface of Bennu in a region just south of the asteroid’s equator. The PolyCam camera on NASA’s OSIRIS-REx spacecraft took the image on March 7 from a distance of 3 miles (4.8 km). The width of the field of view is 185 ft (56.4 m) of Bennu’s surface. For scale, the cracked rock at the top of the image is 69 ft (21 m) long, which is about the length of four parallel parking spots. The image was obtained during Flyby 1 of the mission’s Detailed Survey: Baseball Diamond phase.

Date Taken: Mar. 7, 2019

Instrument Used: OCAMS (PolyCam)

Credit: NASA/Goddard/University of Arizona

https://www.asteroidmission.org/20190307-polycam-cracked-rock/

and another 

20190307-PolyCam-Northern-Boulder.png

Northern Boulder Imaged by PolyCam

This image shows one of the largest boulders on asteroid Bennu’s northern hemisphere. It was taken on March 7 by the PolyCam camera on NASA’s OSIRIS-REx spacecraft from a distance of 2.9 miles (4.6 km). The field of view in the image is 191 feet (58.2 meters) and the boulder itself measures 77 feet (23.5 meters) on its longest dimension, which is about the same length as one-fourth of an American football field.

The image was obtained during Flyby 1 of the mission’s Detailed Survey: Baseball Diamond phase while the spacecraft was flying over Bennu’s equator and pointing PolyCam to the north and west of the asteroid.

Date Taken: March 7, 2019

Instrument Used: OCAMS (PolyCam)

Credit: NASA/Goddard/University of Arizona

https://www.asteroidmission.org/20190307-polycam-northern-boulder/

Edited by IonStorm
Added second released March 7 image

What's so remarkable is the total lack of scale.

Where I live in NM, the "bones of the Earth" are pretty clearly visible, and I suppose minus the cactus, shrubs, and trees, I'd similarly lack scale, but these images really bring that home to me. That image could literally be lifesize on my monitor (ie: the cracked rock could be ~10cm across), and I'd think, "that looks right."

I think in this case it has to do with the aggregation, and various scale sizes all jumbled together. It reminds me of a talus field I might hike up.

Doesn't it make you want to, well, stand there, and look around?

13 minutes ago, tater said:

What's so remarkable is the total lack of scale.

Indeed.  Though the craters don't appear to scale.  There is so much to learn about this scree ball.

13 minutes ago, tater said:

Doesn't it make you want to, well, stand there, and look around?

Except for the isolation and death part, yes.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/11/2019 at 3:30 AM, IonStorm said:

Indeed.  Though the craters don't appear to scale.  There is so much to learn about this scree ball.

Except for the isolation and death part, yes.

Well you could travel in style. 
Y5KYg32h.png
One short spacewalk from the bar. 
Internet lag is insane however and had getting worse since the burn from LEO. 

Amazing how much more homogeneous that candidate landing spot is from a rock scale-size standpoint. Does the fact that it's a (recent?) crater make it more, or less interesting? (or equally, but for different reasons)

OK, so last night was sorta busy, but I messed with this a little. It's fun, but made my head hurt :blink:. My family has worked on sites like these to count animals on the African savanna, sea life on the ocean floor, etc, so this is very similar.

My problem with this particular task is that in the image above (in the tweet) there are hundreds of boulders to mark, and more rocks than boulders. You work at it for a long time, and don't feel any closer to being complete (sort of the nature of this fractal surface). I ended up using the zoom function on my Mac (under Sys Prefs, Accessibility) to zoom into the image like a blind person simply because on a 27" monitor it's really hard for me to concentrate on what is a small image without getting a headache, lol. Maybe it was also too late at night.

I'm going to try again when I am able to do this. My only suggestion for the team might be that they cut the images into smaller squares, perhaps zoomed in past 1:1 pixel res, so that people can finish one faster (I think finishing an image makes people want to go back and do another, whereas it's hard when you want to walk away with hundreds of dots left to mark to clear your head).

Still, it's really cool, and needs to be done. Was thinking of making my son do an image for each video game he wants to play now that school is over :D

Edited by tater

1 hour ago, tater said:
I'm going to try again when I am able to do this. My only suggestion for the team might be that they cut the images into smaller squares, perhaps zoomed in past 1:1 pixel res, so that people can finish one faster (I think finishing an image makes people want to go back and do another, whereas it's hard when you want to walk away with hundreds of dots left to mark to clear your head).

Thanks!  I've elevated your comments and suggestion to the leader the team responsible.  Below is the reply:

"Interesting.... the whole world is seeing just how many rocks we have to count! It's a good comment - I will pass it along..."

30 minutes ago, IonStorm said:

Thanks!  I've elevated your comments and suggestion to the leader the team responsible.  Below is the reply:

"Interesting.... the whole world is seeing just how many rocks we have to count! It's a good comment - I will pass it along..."

Yeah, it's clearly daunting. It also shows how hard it is to quantify things we can simply "see" at a glance. We can all look at the image and find the smoothest area instantly, where specifcally marking all the jumble is incredibly hard.

I was marking the boulders along what I perceived to be their long axis. The cutoff between boulders and rocks can also seem sorta subjective, and marking rocks is slightly easier (though I was unsure if you mark rocks any smaller than the rock circle tool adds. If so, the tool should be the diameter so you can mark only the rocks of the right scale size. Ie: if the rock is considerably smaller than the circle tool, don't mark it.

We did one on the sea floor a few years ago, counting scallops, sea stars, etc. Some of the scallop fields had 20-40 scallops, and that seemed like work (marking live ones vs just shells was part of it, I think). I think the squares were closer to 1m than not, too.

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

@IonStorm What's the scale on each image? Might help distinguishing what to call a 'rock' vs. a 'boulder'.

I'm not sure which image set these are drawn from.  A funny thing about fractal rocks is you can't tell the scale by looking at them.  I'll need to check with the image team.  Anyway, if you can use the boulder tool it is a boulder.  If it is too small to draw the line it is a rock.  

Edited by IonStorm

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

@IonStorm What's the scale on each image? Might help distinguishing what to call a 'rock' vs. a 'boulder'.

Here is the real answer:

The images are all ~5cm/pixel and the CQ frame is 450x450 pixels so a single CosmoQuest image is about 22.5m across 

Best, 
Carina

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...