[1.3.1][Kopernicus] Stock Planet Expansion

Just now, The White Guardian said:

It won't be 'updated' considering it hasn't been released yet. It'll be released for 1.1.3 as soon as the ScienceDefs are done, which shouldn't take too long.

The mod will come with compatibility patches for other mods.

Okay, thank you! :D

To be honest, these are very very "meh." They are all essentially just noiseballs. I like Froth, but every other one is just terribly bland. Dres-1 and Dres-2 are practically identical and almost totally monochromatic. And seeing as you have literally described them as being boring, I can't say I see the point of them even existing. Smov at least seems to match Ike, but Prolla looks too lumpy. The mountain on Driea is promising, but the entirety of the rest of the planet is just boring and samey (and far too purple). Some color variation or use of different types of noise PQSmods could make the worlds look more interesting, and procedural craters can make a world look much more real. Custom heightmaps can also be used to give a unique shape to bodies. As I said, Froth does look pretty cool, but it's the only one which I would consider adding to a solar system to play with. The rest are just extremely "meh." The ideas are, for the most part, sound, but the execution needs more work. Again, they're not awful or anything, but several stock bodies are higher in quality than these.

(Also, to get rid of shininess on land for planets which have oceans, you can add an alpha map to the texture, where black is no shiny and white is fully shiny. This is a Kopernicus tip, not a design critique)

6 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

To be honest, these are very very "meh." They are all essentially just noiseballs. I like Froth, but every other one is just terribly bland. Dres-1 and Dres-2 are practically identical and almost totally monochromatic. And seeing as you have literally described them as being boring, I can't say I see the point of them even existing. Smov at least seems to match Ike, but Prolla looks too lumpy. The mountain on Driea is promising, but the entirety of the rest of the planet is just boring and samey (and far too purple). Some color variation or use of different types of noise PQSmods could make the worlds look more interesting, and procedural craters can make a world look much more real. Custom heightmaps can also be used to give a unique shape to bodies. As I said, Froth does look pretty cool, but it's the only one which I would consider adding to a solar system to play with. The rest are just extremely "meh." The ideas are, for the most part, sound, but the execution needs more work. Again, they're not awful or anything, but several stock bodies are higher in quality than these.

(Also, to get rid of shininess on land for planets which have oceans, you can add an alpha map to the texture, where black is no shiny and white is fully shiny. This is a Kopernicus tip, not a design critique)

I am making the moons as @SmashingKirby148 designed them. You may be right with Prolla though, I suppose increasing the deformity wouldn't hurt, but it's supposed to have smooth hills.

I'm redesigning Driea with VertexVoronoi to create nice cracks in the terrain, and indeed, VoronoiCraters, I'll add that.

Perhaps I can use VertexSimplexNoiseColor on Grillian to create splotches of burned, orange terrain to make it more unique. As for custom heightmaps, I can make those, I just don't know how to wrap up the poles of a planet map correctly.

Also, I've seen that trick with oceanic planets before, for example @KillAshley uses it in most of his work. Prolem is though, I don't understand exactly what you mean, or how I should create such a map. If you have the time, could you give me step-by-step instructions on what to do and in what order?

Also, thanks for the feedback!

1 minute ago, Red Iron Crown said:

@The White Guardian Moved your thread over to Add-on Development as it's not released yet, just ping me or report your OP when you're ready for a proper release. :) 

Alright, thanks. Release has been set back quite a while, I planned to have it released already, but it seems that it'll take a while longer now that a new moon is in development.

Anyhow, thank you again, I'll let you know once the mod is about to release.

EDIT: and by that I mean that I'm about to upload it to SpaceDock.

Edited by The White Guardian

5 hours ago, igor290506 said:

this will take forever to load and its killling my pc

Dear igor290506, can you please explain to me how an unreleased mod can kill your pc? Furthermore, only one of the moons added by this pack uses a heightmap, these planets require less memory than the stock planets themselves! Also, the textures use Kopernicus' onDemandLoading, meaning that they aren't loaded by the game itself, so this  won't delay loading in any way .

In fact, unless you're playing on a potato and unless KSP is already lagging a lot, this mod won't increase memory usage significantly.

May I ask why you are claiming stuff about SPE that you can't possibly know and isn't true (the opposite, actually)?

3 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

Dear igor290506, can you please explain to me how an unreleased mod can kill your pc? Furthermore, only one of the moons added by this pack uses a heightmap, these planets require less memory than the stock planets themselves! Also, the textures use Kopernicus' onDemandLoading, meaning that they aren't loaded by the game itself, so this  won't delay loading in any way .

In fact, unless you're playing on a potato and unless KSP is already lagging a lot, this mod won't increase memory usage significantly.

May I ask why you are claiming stuff about SPE that you can't possibly know and isn't true (the opposite, actually)?

its copernicus 

i can.t enjoy any planet pack mod because any mod like this plus kopernicus is taking hell long to load

4 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

here is my pc data windows edition winddows 10 enteprize procesor Intel R celeron R cpu j1800   2.41GHz   2.41   GHz memory 4.00 GB 64 bit operating system no pen or touch product id 00329-00000-00003-AA515

On 5/25/2016 at 10:13 PM, The White Guardian said:

nBv6UFb.jpg

Stock Planet Expansion or S.P.E is a pack that adds countless moons to the Kerbal solar system for you to explore! From Moho to Eeloo, we got you covered!

Meet the moons

xngNtK0.png

Grillian, moon of Moho

"Grillian is the Mohonian moon. It's surface is covered in vast, trademark canyons that have baffled scientists ever since their discovery. Strangely though, Grillian appears more frequently in discussions of whether or not 'Mohonian' is a word rather than it does in scientific reports."

Grillian is a half-molten mountainous moon in orbit of Moho. It's lava actually damages spacecrafts, so perhaps it's best to stay clear of those areas.

Driea, moon of Eve

5PfnuJG.png

"Driea is a small, pink moon in orbit of Eve. For reasons unknown though it has a huge, silver mountain on it's equator. Scientists still do not know what caused it, considering Driea is likely geologically inactive, and thus Mount Hyacinthum remains a mystery to Kerbalkind."

Driea is Eve's first moon, Gilly becoming Eve's second moon due to it's larger orbit. Driea has a landscape covered in hills as well as one truly enormous mountain that science cannot explain.

Trao, moon of Kerbin

(The image of Trao went missing, therefore please stand by as it is remade)

"Once a moon similar to Mun, Trao has been struck by a rather large object a long time ago, resulting in a large impact crater on one side of the moon that reaches all the way to the moon's core. The resulting debris either impacted the moon elsewhere, or is still orbiting Kerbin. The impact also caused the moon to spin out of control, so be cautious."

Trao becomes a new moon of Kerbin, it becomes the iconic blue planet's new second moon due to it orbiting further away than the moon, yet not as far out as Minmus. The debris from the impact also formed a ring around Kerbin near Trao's orbit.

Smov and Prolla, moons of Duna

sARhJuR.png

"Smov is a strange, uneven moon orbiting Duna. For some weird reason it shares it's larger neighbor Ike's pattern of a gray surface with strange, darker areas. One thing is certain, Smov is a lot more bumpy."

"Prolla is a strange moon and the outermost of Duna's three moons. While Smov shares it's colors with Ike, Prolla seems to have colors similar to Duna, with red lowlands and ice-covered highlands. Why Smov and Prolla love cosplaying as the two larger bodies in the Dunaian system is a mystery."

Smov is a smaller, asteroid-like moon while Prolla is about 1.5 times Smov's size, about half as large as Ike. The two moons dominate the outer regions of Duna's sphere of influence, but how the two moons got there in the first place is a mystery.

Dres-1 and Dres-2, the moons that orbit Dres (who would've guessed?)

Jrefi69.png

D-1 and D-2 are two little rocky moons orbiting Dres with the same inclination. Their small size makes them an interesting target for stations and refueling bases, but other than that, they aren't that interesting, and thus a perfect fit for Dres!

Froth, moon of Eeloo

gNxx9G9.png

"Froth is a magnificent little ball of ice in orbit around Eeloo. Eons ago a few annoying little asteroids slammed into the icy surface, exposing the moon's inner layers. The debris from this event formed Froth's iconic rings of ice particles. Taking a shard from the rings of Froth is said to bring luck."

A moon that closely resembles the planet it orbits save for the fact that this moon has a set of beautiful rings. The jelous Eeloo has attempted to steal these rings several times, but the rings are in a stable orbit around Froth and are unlikely to leave anytime soon.

Download Stock Planet Expansion

Unfortunately, the mod still has a few minor issues that need fixing before public release, although it will be released somewhere within the next few weeks. Please stand by as the S.P.E team patches up these last few errors.

The S.P.E Team

@SmashingKirby148

- Concept and career integration, project starter

@The White Guardian

- Kopernicus configs, mod compatibilities (PlanetShine, D.O.E, E.V.E)

do i need kopernicus

15 minutes ago, igor290506 said:

which one

6 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

i ami 1.1.3

On 7/20/2016 at 4:43 PM, Red Iron Crown said:

@The White Guardian Moved your thread over to Add-on Development as it's not released yet, just ping me or report your OP when you're ready for a proper release and we'll move it back. :) 

ah its you again ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 22-7-2016 at 7:46 AM, igor290506 said:

which moon dose take less memory

All of them need less memory.

Also, @GregroxMun I'm starting to rework these bodies, I'll post what I have in mind here. If it isn't too much trouble, could you please give some feedback on my ideas?

Spoiler

Grillian

I'll add a darker color scheme, as if the surface is made of basalt and I plan on making the poles darker as well. Grillian will also receive procedural volcanoes and craters thanks to VoronoiCraters.

Driea

Using VertexVoronoi, I plan on making the surface more 'cracked' to simulate the impact Eve has on the poor little moon.

Trao

As I haven't fixed the image yet Trao's face hasn't been revealed yet, but it's terrain is a bit too smooth. More craters, more deformed terrain.

Smov

- Not much save for procedural craters

Prolla

-Less shininess, deeper canyons.

D-1

Will have various impact sites where an inner mantle of emerald is visible.

D-2

Will have procedural craters, darker splotches as well as being rich in ores.

Froth

Better ScaledSpace transition (the surface is less shiny than ScaledSpace) as well as representing Eeloo better. Also, procedural craters.

7 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

All of them need less memory.

Also, @GregroxMun I'm starting to rework these bodies, I'll post what I have in mind here. If it isn't too much trouble, could you please give some feedback on my ideas?

Hide contents

Grillian

I'll add a darker color scheme, as if the surface is made of basalt and I plan on making the poles darker as well. Grillian will also receive procedural volcanoes and craters thanks to VoronoiCraters.

Driea

Using VertexVoronoi, I plan on making the surface more 'cracked' to simulate the impact Eve has on the poor little moon.

Trao

As I haven't fixed the image yet Trao's face hasn't been revealed yet, but it's terrain is a bit too smooth. More craters, more deformed terrain.

Smov

- Not much save for procedural craters

Prolla

-Less shininess, deeper canyons.

D-1

Will have various impact sites where an inner mantle of emerald is visible.

D-2

Will have procedural craters, darker splotches as well as being rich in ores.

Froth

Better ScaledSpace transition (the surface is less shiny than ScaledSpace) as well as representing Eeloo better. Also, procedural craters.

These could improve what you've got a little. I'd have to see how they turn out to make a judgement. Also I don't see why Kerbin needs a third moon.

On 5/25/2016 at 4:13 PM, The White Guardian said:

Dres-1 and Dres-2, the moons that orbit Dres (who would've guessed?)

Jrefi69.png

D-1 and D-2 are two little rocky moons orbiting Dres with the same inclination. Their small size makes them an interesting target for stations and refueling bases, but other than that, they aren't that interesting, and thus a perfect fit for Dres!

Disrespectful. Utterly disrespectful.

Okay, I'm (kinda) kidding, but those moons really need to be reworked. Don't embrace Dres' "boringness", change it! Asteroids can be a lot more than grey, lumpy rocks.

• 1 month later...

Alright, news time! Today I finally finished the overhaul on SPE, and here's what's in it!

Grillan - darker surface, procedural craters, looks a lot more 'realistic'.

Driea - cracked surface with one huge mountain range, lower areas are purple while higher areas are greyish.

Trao - procedural craters and cracked surface as well as it's trademark huge crater, the cracks are to show the aftereffect of the impact.

Prolla - Less smooth terrain, more uneven with cliffs. Same colour scheme though.

Smov - uneven surface with procedural craters.

(Taking @ProtoJeb21's advice to heart)

D-1 - Smooth surface, but with procedural craters that expose a greenish core.

D-2 - more uneven surface than D-1, procedural craters, dark spots as well as being very mineral-rich

Froth - reworked COMPLETELY, words can't really describe it, but it looks amazing!

@GregroxMun does that sound a bit better? I truly want this pack to be more 'unique'. This should be more than just an addition to the stock system.

A Callisto analogue is still in the works, but shouldn't take too long to finish.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
17 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

Oooooh boy.

Howdy, everyone, it sure has been a while, hasn't it?

Anyhow, it is as much time for me to update this mod as it is for Valve to give us some news about Half-Life 3, so I'll get to work on giving this mod a long overdue upgrade.

Welcome back to SPE. I love the mod, been waiting for it to update so I could move to 1.3 without losing stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.