How To REALLY Get Angry At Space Science Deniers

NeoMorph

On 05/06/2016 at 0:21 PM, RandomUser said:

Hah, that'd be pretty funny.  The sad thing being that they'd still continue to say that it is all Photoshop, or they'd just reiterate their nonsensical theory to fit more with what they'd seen.

A pancake Earth will look round from above too, so it would be pretty easy to maintain that you are looking at a flat Earth type object. As soon as you would make a full orbit, it becomes a little harder, but the human mind is a pliable thing.

How not to get angry at conspiracy theorists:

1. Ignore them

2. Continue ignoring them

3. Go back to step 1, rinse and repeat.

It doesn't matter if you can prove them wrong. They're as ignorant as it gets. No matter what proof you bring up, they just dismiss it. So don't even bother spending your time with these guys. Go do some science instead.

It worked for me, anyways.

26 minutes ago, spacebrick3 said:

I think even if they went suborbital they would have to see that the Earth is round, because as they moved east or west on their trajectory the Earth would still look round.

Most suborbital flights will probably not have too much lateral movement.

36 minutes ago, Camacha said:

Most suborbital flights will probably not have too much lateral movement.

I know, but if the Earth were really flat, even the smallest bit of lateral motion should make the Earth look different than if it were round.

8 minutes ago, spacebrick3 said:

I know, but if the Earth were really flat, even the smallest bit of lateral motion should make the Earth look different than if it were round.

I doubt it. Do remember that in Real Life, spacecraft tend to hug the planet a lot more, due to it being a lot larger. You really need quite a bit of movement for a significant change of perspective. If there is any way to interpret what is happening in another way, these kinds of people will grab their chance.

Somebody on schoology said one thing about some space is boring and useless thing, and I gave him 3 pages (if you print it out on word in size 12 font) of space-is-the-best the-future-is-space we-choose-to-go-to-the-moon kind of stuff. Still haven't heard back from him.

Also, this is what I say to conspiracy theorists: yes, I argee the moon landings were faked. ...On Mars! 

Usually works. Some people out there are really stupid. HATE ON THEM FOR NO GOOD REASON AT ALL!!!

Edited by max_creative

7 hours ago, max_creative said:

Also, this is what I say to conspiracy theorists: yes, I argee the moon landings were faked. ...On Mars! 

looRY5v.gif

So true.

4 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

Ask a real astronaut:

Yeah, let us not post that too often. It was an embarrassment to both parties, but especially to Aldrin, who really should have known better. No matter how annoying Sibrel was.

16 minutes ago, Camacha said:

Yeah, let us not post that too often. It was an embarrassment to both parties, but especially to Aldrin, who really should have known better. No matter how annoying Sibrel was.

I couldn't agree less. I wudda punched the guy about half an hour before Aldrin did.

21 minutes ago, The_Rocketeer said:

I couldn't agree less. I wudda punched the guy about half an hour before Aldrin did.

We are all fallible, astronauts included. If you resort to violence, you lose. The fact that Aldrin did not end up in jail is purely because he had some credits to burn as a national hero, not because it was not assault.

We look up to astronauts because they represent something we are not. Unfortunately, this shameful event showed that he has the same weaknesses we have.

@Camacha I'd love to debate the morality of punching an idiot with you, but I fear we're straying far from topic. I will say, tho, that there's no such thing as a perfect hero and regardless of your moral outlook, Aldrin was raised in my esteem by this incident.

Edited by The_Rocketeer

10 minutes ago, The_Rocketeer said:

regardless of your moral outlook, Aldrin was raised in my esteem by this incident.

That is not regardless of your moral outlook. Glorifying violence is a stupid and dangerous thing, as is resorting to it. Aldrin made a mistake here. Punching people in the face because they are annoying is not acceptable in society. Aldrin got away due to being a national hero, anyone else would face a criminal conviction for battery.

However understandable it is, rose-colored glasses do not change what happened. Aldrin made a mistake that day.

Edited by Camacha

55 minutes ago, Camacha said:

That is not regardless of your moral outlook. Glorifying violence is a stupid and dangerous thing, as is resorting to it. Aldrin made a mistake here. Punching people in the face because they are annoying is not acceptable in society. Aldrin got away due to being a national hero, anyone else would face a criminal conviction for battery.

However understandable it is, rose-colored glasses do not change what happened. Aldrin made a mistake that day.

This would be the moral debate I said we shouldn't have because it's off topic.

My view, actually, is literally regardless of YOUR personal moral outlook. I'm not wearing rose-coloured glasses, I'm just glad Aldrin thumped him and if I'd been there I would have helped.

1 minute ago, The_Rocketeer said:

My view, actually, is literally regardless of YOUR personal moral outlook. I'm not wearing rose-coloured glasses, I'm just glad Aldrin thumped him and if I'd been there I would have helped.

As long as you realise you would have netted a conviction.

5 minutes ago, The_Rocketeer said:

Gotta catch me first :wink: anyway, who cares?

We are on a forum where space and everything associated is discussed in detail, often by younger members of the public. Some subjects are not appropriate due to the young age of said public. Glorifying violence and pretending this is an appropriate response does not really line up with all that.

Wow @Camacha, u sure ur not getting light-headed from that moral altitude you're standing on there? That high-horse you're sitting on is looking fit to faint.

Nobody's glorifying violence, and nobody gives a hoot about the morals of what Aldrin did. We're talking about 'space science deniers' making people angry. One frequent outcome of anger is violence. Aldrin is a spaceman. What part of all that doesn't belong on the forum? None of it. What part of your posts don't belong in this thread? All the stuff about morals.

24 minutes ago, The_Rocketeer said:

Wow @Camacha, u sure ur not getting light-headed from that moral altitude you're standing on there? That high-horse you're sitting on is looking fit to faint.

Nobody's glorifying violence, and nobody gives a hoot about the morals of what Aldrin did. We're talking about 'space science deniers' making people angry. One frequent outcome of anger is violence. Aldrin is a spaceman. What part of all that doesn't belong on the forum? None of it. What part of your posts don't belong in this thread? All the stuff about morals.

Hitting people that are no physical threat to you is to be frowned upon. Even if you eliminate morals, that is what the law tells us. It will land common people a criminal conviction. Pretending that is some kind of moral high-ground does not hold water. Pretty much any human over the age of five understands that hitting someone in the face is not the appropriate way of solving conflict and will get you in trouble.

Besides, getting angry at space deniers is no use. At best, they will feel it vindicates their convictions. At worst, you will depreciate your own arguments. The best quality the human species has is being smart enough to understand why someone needs to be smacked in the face, while also being smart enough not to act on the impulse.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.