"Ark" Planet/Part pack mod idea

I have a mod idea for later, when I get a new laptop, and learn more about programming.

I want to make a mod pack about "Ark". Both a parts pack, and planet pack, the parts part is a generation ship, several times larger than say an SLS, with an Orion drive for takeoff, an Alcubierre drive for the star travel, and 4 shuttles for planetfall, so I'll need to make a new resource, antimatter, and make it possible to get around Jool (Laythe's becoming radioactive/volcanic, but still with water!). I didn't see anything in the book that said it needed exotic matter, so I might need to read it again (You guys should too, it's really good), it will be able to hold 80 Kerbal's initially, and 140 max. But now the planet part: In the book there were 2 star systems they went too (Not saying why, read it) both with habitable planets, the first system, afaik has 2, maybe 3 planets, one rocky habitable planet, and 2 far out gas giants orbiting 82 eridani, about 20 ly away, the second system, is an unnamed red dwarf, 111 ly away, with I think 5 planets, with the innermost one being the habitable one, I'm also going to make a skybox, so the stars will be where they are irl.

What do you guys think, and any tips for when I start possibly next year?

By the way, it's a 2 part book, but I don't really think you need to read the first to read the second.

floodandark.jpg

Edited by Spaceception

Maybe there could be 2 habitable planets in a solar system (It doesn't have to exactly alike, right?), and they are in a horseshoe orbit configuration with each other, and they each have 2 asteroid moons in this same configuration. I don't care if it's impossible irl, but I think it sounds amazing.

8 minutes ago, electricpants said:

Maybe there could be 2 habitable planets in a solar system (It doesn't have to exactly alike, right?), and they are in a horseshoe orbit configuration with each other, and they each have 2 asteroid moons in this same configuration. I don't care if it's impossible irl, but I think it sounds amazing.

If I make a horseshoe orbit in the mod, it'll likely be the moons of a gas giant in the first system, I want this to be very close to what the book describes (Except for flooding Kerbin, I won't do that.

Flooded home planet...Inhabitants forced to do new stuff to survive...becomes and oceania...

@Spaceception are you planning to rip-off Kamino?:P

1 hour ago, electricpants said:

That's cool but overkill. I'm going to test that out in KSP, but it'll be hard. Getting the orbits lined up just right is an excruciatingly hard task for planets orbiting stars, but easier with moons orbiting planets. I know for a fact that it will fail in Universe Sandbox 2. I'll test to see if Horseshoe Orbits of planets in KSP is even possible.

19 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Flooded home planet...Inhabitants forced to do new stuff to survive...becomes and oceania...

@Spaceception are you planning to rip-off Kamino?:P

No, that was the plot of it, it's why they had to build a generation ship in the first place.

34 minutes ago, fredinno said:

You should have done this on our alternate solar system project. ;.;

I can do it around the same time, but I don't believe it's finished yet.

1 hour ago, electricpants said:

Have you gotten any results?

I've been conflicted over how the planet pack should be done. See, in Ark, there's the star 82 G. Eridani with one Earth-like planet and 2 gas giants. In real life, however, this star has 2 Super-Venus planets and one hot ocean world (possibly). I've been wondering over 3 options:

1. Should the 82 G. Eridani system from Ark be kept the same?
  2. Should the REAL 82 Eridani system be used?
  3. Should the REAL 82 Eridani system with 2 small, undetected planets be used?

Those two planets from Option 3 would have to be created in a way that, in real life, they could slip through the data and remain undetected. Here's the data I have for them:

• 82 Eri e: 0.58 Earth Radii and 0.35 Earth Masses; Temperature of 280 Kelvin; Small Earth analogue.
  • 82 Eri f: 0.66 Earth Radii and 0.29 Earth Masses; Temperature of 205 Kelvin; Cross between a desert and an ice world.

I've got some astronomy to do tonight (I just want ONE good picture of Saturn, nature!) so I may not get the testing done within the next 12 hours. But I think to create Horseshoe Orbits, we need 2 planets with identical semi-major axes, eccentricities of about 0.08, and Argument of Periapses that can be conveyed as either 2/3 or 3/4. Kind of like mean motion resonances, except with a different orbital property.

Also, @Spaceception, do you think the mod should be done in Real Solar System to give it more similarities to the novel series?

Edited by ProtoJeb21

1 minute ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Also, @Spaceception, do you think the mod should be done in Real Solar System to give it more similarities to the novel series?

At least one version will be stock alike, but 1 might be RSS, it depends on the power of my computer to render and make everything, and, of course, to properly run KSP, US2, and possibly SE.

41 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I've been conflicted over how the planet pack should be done. See, in Ark, there's the star 82 G. Eridani with one Earth-like planet and 2 gas giants. In real life, however, this star has 2 Super-Venus planets and one hot ocean world (possibly). I've been wondering over 3 options:

1. Should the 82 G. Eridani system from Ark be kept the same?
  2. Should the REAL 82 Eridani system be used?
  3. Should the REAL 82 Eridani system with 2 small, undetected planets be used?

Those two planets from Option 3 would have to be created in a way that, in real life, they could slip through the data and remain undetected. Here's the data I have for them:

• 82 Eri e: 0.58 Earth Radii and 0.35 Earth Masses; Temperature of 280 Kelvin; Small Earth analogue.
  • 82 Eri f: 0.66 Earth Radii and 0.29 Earth Masses; Temperature of 205 Kelvin; Cross between a desert and an ice world.

I've got some astronomy to do tonight (I just want ONE good picture of Saturn, nature!) so I may not get the testing done within the next 12 hours. But I think to create Horseshoe Orbits, we need 2 planets with identical semi-major axes, eccentricities of about 0.08, and Argument of Periapses that can be conveyed as either 2/3 or 3/4. Kind of like mean motion resonances, except with a different orbital property.

I need to read the entire thing next time. :confused:

First up: I made the real life 82 eri system in US2, and the outermost planet was a hot ocean world. :P

1: Yes

2: Nah

3: Nah, I want to keep it as close to the book as possible, aside, from you know, not really knowing the properties of the described planets in the book.

Good luck with your Astronomy :)

6 hours ago, Spaceception said:

No, that was the plot of it, it's why they had to build a generation ship in the first place.

I can do it around the same time, but I don't believe it's finished yet.

It is finished enough for you to start working on Vulcan, or just wait 3 weeks for us to finish it up. :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.