Holy crap... Valley on Minmus!

VincentMcConnell

This huge valley on Minmus is a planned landing site of one of my first missions to EVA on the planet. Anyway, I was doing to location picking, mapping etc. with an orbiter (Kerpollo CSM) and I used the surface information radar to map the height of the mountains here... They are as much as 4 kilometers above Minmus sea level. That means more than 3 times the depth of the Grand Canyon!

Yes, the geography (minmugraphy?) of that moon is fascinating. This lander (figure 1) is parked at 1132 meters. The cliff behind it (figure 2) rises to a peak of 4849m (figure 3, the highest point I\'ve found on Minmus so far, though I think there are a few higher ones). That cliff is 3717m high, not even from sea level, but just from the valley where the lander is parked.

There are parts of Minmus almost a kilometer higher than that cliff.

The ISA-RAM mapper (to scour the surface for high points) and Mechjeb (To get some idea of what longitude you\'re landing at before you head there) are among the most efficient ways to go about it.

Vanamonde, I jumped a cart off the cliff behind you in the middle screenshot. Lots of fun! I saw the cliff from orbit, landed at the bottom and drove my way up. I took a picture of the slope as I went. When I jumped, I wasn\'t going as fast as I would have liked and was so focused on not destroying myself on the way down that I only got a screenshot after the first bounce. I ended up surviving, too.

The Grand Canyon is 1,524 meters!(about 5,000 feet) That is one deep Minmus canyon! What should we call it? I have just recently landed on Minmus. It was a very hard process. I also had a bug on the Mun! :) I also sent a report to the KSP team.

Yes, the geography (minmugraphy?) of that moon is fascinating. This lander (figure 1) is parked at 1132 meters. The cliff behind it (figure 2) rises to a peak of 4849m (figure 3, the highest point I\'ve found on Minmus so far, though I think there are a few higher ones). That cliff is 3717m high, not even from sea level, but just from the valley where the lander is parked.

Fascinating is putting it lightly. It\'s like God made Minmus when he was still 3, using play-dough to try to make his first sphere.

Fascinating? No. Minmus is a trial in patience and determination, and a strong argument for a height-to-ground display. My first attempt at landing never evoked such a fast change in display on my face before with a game. 'Doing good, just keep this little burn going and I should be just fine. Hmm, seeing some detail, wonder if OHMYGODAMILANDINGONEVEREST? ...nuts.'

I\'m not complaining. That was one of the best and most memorable moments of KSP for me yet. I look forward to further surprises from Squad.

Fascinating? No. Minmus is a trial in patience and determination, and a strong argument for a height-to-ground display. My first attempt at landing never evoked such a fast change in display on my face before with a game. 'Doing good, just keep this little burn going and I should be just fine. Hmm, seeing some detail, wonder if OHMYGODAMILANDINGONEVEREST? ...nuts.'

That\'s why you\'ve got to aim for the ice lakes! They are absolutely flat and guaranteed to be at 0m. Minmus\' gravity is so low it barely costs anything to adjust your flight path.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.