[Minimum KSP version - 1.11] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) v1.12

IgorZ

43 minutes ago, cafelate said:

Neither positive nor negative parameters allow the harpoon to tilt into the ground

Did you check logs? If dart cannot attach, then there will be a record explaining why. If the attack angle was wihting the limit, but the attachment didn't happen, then it's likely a bug.

Edited by IgorZ

15 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Did you check logs? If dart cannot attach, then there will be a record explaining why. If the attack angle was wihting the limit, but the attachment didn't happen, then it's likely a bug.

i check logs  .

about attach to asteroid  :"MaxHitAngle '' is useful for asteroids,Insufficient angle will be displayed in the logs .however,  type D asteroids  occasionally rotates the harpoon around the entry point and  all the harpoon that enters type e rotates on the surface.

about attach to surface :No matter what angle it is ejection,  there is no message about the angle in logs. after 6 seconds    "hasn't hit anything " in logs. 

about attach to part : There is also no angle message 

by the way ,your cat looks cute

1 hour ago, cafelate said:

however,  type D asteroids  occasionally rotates the harpoon around the entry point and  all the harpoon that enters type e rotates on the surface.

Can you provide screenshots? Not sure if I understand what exactly happens and how bad it is.

No matter what angle it is ejection,  there is no message about the angle in logs. after 6 seconds    "hasn't hit anything " in logs. 

Can yopu reproduce it on Kerbin at launchpad or runaway? Please, provide a screenshot or may be a small video.

about attach to part : There is also no angle message 

In the game settings enable "verbose logging", then re-try. In the verbose mode dart always reports the outcome of the hit. Note that harpoon doesn't attach to parts by design, but you can change it via the part config.

by the way ,your cat looks cute

Edited by IgorZ

7 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Can you provide screenshots? Not sure if I understand what exactly happens and how bad it is.

You can watch the video, but I don't think it's a problem

7 hours ago, IgorZ said:

In the game settings enable "verbose logging", then re-try. In the verbose mode dart always reports the outcome of the hit. Note that harpoon doesn't attach to parts by design, but you can change it via the part config.

Now attach to part is much better

On 3/28/2023 at 10:03 PM, cafelate said:

You can watch the video, but I don't think it's a problem

The "hasn't hit anything" things in these cases is expected. It tells that no attaching conditions were detected. As for the other csases they looks suspicios. The logs say the dart hit surface and attaches to it, but it's obviously doesn't happen. May be a bug.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I dunno what's up with this, but I've got a couple personnel shuttles with a hitchhiker module, and 3-way symmetry fuel pods stuck to it (no separators or anything).

But some of the pods don't feed the engine (on the bottom node of the hitchhiker) anymore, and can't do a fuel transfer to the others.  It is still in symmetry, and the battery attached to it can transfer across the weld point just fine...

Thought maybe it was due to having connectors on the pods and using them to refuel on mun, so I tried putting a fuel hose on the main body and dock/undocking the crafts, but that didn't do anything.  The hitchhiker is still the root node in the savegame; I checked against that just in case since hitchhikers can't be bolted to (the side of) fuel tanks, but tanks can be on hitchhikers and wondered if the parts tree got messed up during docking/undocking through fuel hoses.

I ended up having my engineer pull the problematic fuel pods off and reinstall them as close to the original position as I could get, and the shuttle is working now although it is microscopically misshaped :)

My Minmus shuttle has the same issue, but with only one of the 3-way symmetried pods going wonky.  Caused some thrust vectoring consternation and a worrying lack of dv during the burn out, but Bill left some tools on board so the new engie was able to swap some parts between the pods to spoon fuel into the working ones.

Once they arrive at minmus, I think I'll try hooking the hose up to the main body again, but also unload the ship while it is hard connected there and see if that makes any difference.

I don't suppose you've heard of this sort of thing before?

Dunno if the KAS stuff is involved in the problem, but it did let me fix it in flight :D

On 4/18/2023 at 5:05 PM, suicidejunkie said:

Dunno if the KAS stuff is involved in the problem, but it did let me fix it in flight :D

All (un)docking work in KAS is done via the stock game API. Tehcnically, it shouldn't break anything, but reality keeps surprising. When it happens again, please the logs in verbose mode. Ideally, I need a case that can be reproduced.

I'll turn that on and try to reproduce now that the shuttle has landed.  I know it happened sometime between landing on Minmus, refueling, returning, a bit of aerobraking, and then noticing on the return flight when the gyro/vectoring couldn't cope anymore, but that's a long window.

No luck on breaking pipe events due to physics range loading and such either.

I took a different tack, and dug into the save.

Ignoring the obvious of cid/uid/persistentid/temperature fields, all the tanks are identical except for this:

srfN = srfAttach, 0,COLLIDERCYL
srfN = srfAttach, 0,COLLIDERCYL
srfN = srfAttach, -1,COLLIDERCYL

The odd one out is the one that doesn't share fuel.  Not sure what -1 means, but when I changed it to zero to match the others, fuel flow works again, and the ship isn't horribly mangled as far as I can see.

Edited by suicidejunkie
Lost end in page reload

I got it reproduced.

1) Have a set of surface attached parts on a main body.

2) Connect resource transfer station to a connection port on one of those surface attached parts

3) Switch to Docked mode

(At this point quicksave shows the tanks are srfAttach, 157, 157 and 152; I presume that's the main body (EL survey station) and the hose connector leading to the mining base root node respectively)

4) Grab the connector with a Kerbal

(Now quicksave shows the tanks have srfAttach numbers of  0, 0 and -1, and the fuel flow treats that tank and its attached children as a separate vehicle)

I don't see any log files, but I deleted them before making the attempt, to try and narrow things down.  I guess I'd need to restart to get the logs flowing again.

17 hours ago, suicidejunkie said:

I got it reproduced.

1) Have a set of surface attached parts on a main body.

2) Connect resource transfer station to a connection port on one of those surface attached parts

3) Switch to Docked mode

(At this point quicksave shows the tanks are srfAttach, 157, 157 and 152; I presume that's the main body (EL survey station) and the hose connector leading to the mining base root node respectively)

4) Grab the connector with a Kerbal

(Now quicksave shows the tanks have srfAttach numbers of  0, 0 and -1, and the fuel flow treats that tank and its attached children as a separate vehicle)

I don't see any log files, but I deleted them before making the attempt, to try and narrow things down.  I guess I'd need to restart to get the logs flowing again.

Thanks! I've created an issue. Will follow up on it when have time (not much of it last months).

Update: It looks like it doesn't even need a grab.  Just flipping to hard Docked and then back to Undocked has the same effect.

For now, I'll move the pipes to parts that stack attach to the root of the sub-ship for safety.

Will try to Science!! what a stock docking port does in a similar situation when the opportunity arises.

On 10/8/2020 at 8:28 PM, Tonka Crash said:

Is English your first language?  I find KAS trivially easy to use, so I have no idea what your are asking, and it won't be changing unless you can describe how it needs to change.

Embarassing…English is not my first language. If you connect three things in the way like this:
mining excavator→converter→fuel tank
(they're on different vehicles)
And make them convey their products as the direction shown above, you'll find it hard to keep them conveying — even when their own containers are full.
I'm like a Internet primitive person, so never mind me not replying until 3 years later.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2023 at 6:41 PM, DaveLChgo said:

Has anyone else experience the whole vessle blowing up when attaching an RTS-1 to the outside?

Not connect the hose or anything just bolting on the RTS-1 with the engineer and his powerdriver.

This is definitely an unexpected behavior, but Kraken can wake up at any moment in KSP. Can you reproduce this problem at launchpad on a clear game with the stock parts?

• 2 weeks later...

I think I figured out why.   I had these parts stored inside a cargo part.  ( Not placed inside a cargo bay or bolted to the ship elsewhere. ) Cargo part was placed onto a re-supply ship.  Re-supply ship went to the Mun and landed at the base.  Here is your new RTS-1 connector and your new hose reel.  (As this base was made before those parts were available)   So when the engineer removed the part from storage and placed it on the Munbase.....  BOOM!     So what todo now??  Engineer took the same part from the same ship, but in this case it was not in storage but the one that was bolted onto the ship.  Engineer was able to remove that from the re-supply ship exterior and attach it to the Mun base...  no booms.

• 4 weeks later...

It is a great mod and I have used it for years but squads inventory system conflicts and I cannot remove squads GARBAGE.  I must have run the sat repair mission 30 god damn times because I could not move things between kis/kas and stock inventory or visa versa.  I could not get 4 stacks of repair kits from the stock 2 inventory slots (2 slots! really squad! 2 loveing slots!) forgot to remove the parachute to make room for the repair kits.  The stacks I put into the engineers inventory vanished on orbit. Because of all the loveing problems I also added the GIGANTIC storage can and then had to put a smaller stock storage can into it just to hold 3 stacks of 4 repair kits.  this is like and additional 800 DV juts to carry all the loveing squad parts just to ccarry 3 stacks of repairkits.  Then I spend two hours getting into a retrograde highly inclined orbit (which the contract system called trivial) and then I have no parts on my engineer, and cannot move the parts from the squad storage can to the kerbals inventory. of which he now has twoone with the lame squad two slots and one with the kis stack of 8.  but you cannot move parts between them or at least after hours of frustrqtion I could not move anything.  so I finally had to get up and quit and use cheat to complete the god damn contract!

So I am being forced to dump kis/kas because squad crapped out their piece of excrements implementation and when out of their way to make it conflict with kis/kas to the point I have to dump the system I love and use their piece of donkey liquid

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This mod is amazing, and adds what really should have been core functionality all along.

I am however having weird behavior. When I connect my lander to my base (on Duna) with the resource transfer station and socket, things work fine until I activate "docked" mode. (I'm doing this so I can transfer kerbals within one craft, instead of having to eva 24 kerbals one by one as I rotate the 12-person crew)

Once "docked" mode is enabled, the lander, which was fine before, starts drifting, rather quickly, away from the base. I wouldn't have thought this possible since as far as I understood it the two craft were supposed to be one, when docked.

Since I have MKS installed, I tried using the "ground anchor" feature on the landing legs, but that just causes the lander to start moving around wildly and tip over, so that's even worse. This whole time, the base is fine, and motionless.

Is there something else I should be doing to stop this happening? I have problems like this a lot with KAS in docked mode.

13 hours ago, Tokamak said:

This mod is amazing, and adds what really should have been core functionality all along.

I am however having weird behavior. When I connect my lander to my base (on Duna) with the resource transfer station and socket, things work fine until I activate "docked" mode. (I'm doing this so I can transfer kerbals within one craft, instead of having to eva 24 kerbals one by one as I rotate the 12-person crew)

Once "docked" mode is enabled, the lander, which was fine before, starts drifting, rather quickly, away from the base. I wouldn't have thought this possible since as far as I understood it the two craft were supposed to be one, when docked.

Since I have MKS installed, I tried using the "ground anchor" feature on the landing legs, but that just causes the lander to start moving around wildly and tip over, so that's even worse. This whole time, the base is fine, and motionless.

Is there something else I should be doing to stop this happening? I have problems like this a lot with KAS in docked mode.

Building tip that has helped me with the building of my surface bases (It removes drift completely):

1- Put a stock Ground Anchor on the ground with a Kerbal.

2- Attach a Resource Transfer Station to the already deployed Ground Anchor.

3- Attach a JS1 port socket on the bottom of any part of your base.

4- Link them together with a Kerbal.

5- Set it to docked mode.

TADAAAAH

Edited by adriangm44
You're welcome! :D

12 hours ago, adriangm44 said:

Building tip that has helped me with the building of my surface bases (It removes drift completely):

1- Put a stock Ground Anchor on the ground with a Kerbal.

2- Attach a Resource Transfer Station to the already deployed Ground Anchor.

3- Attach a JS1 port socket on the bottom of any part of your base.

4- Link them together with a Kerbal.

5- Set it to docked mode.

TADAAAAH

Unfortunately, that doesn't help. Since the connection between the rover and the base is flexible, it means that the rover is free to flip out and wobble all over the place, usually flipping it over. That's when in docked mode. A ground anchor makes it worse, causing it to almost immediately flip, clip through my base, and destroy it. And if I reload a save with it connected, the ground anchor immediately explodes.

Basically, I can't use "docked" mode to connect any vessels without an immediate kraken attack. I'm not sure what to do, because this seems to be the only way to move around MKS machinery or nuclear fuel and waste. Apparently docking is how you're supposed to do it. :(

On 12/21/2023 at 1:41 PM, Tokamak said:

In the docked mode, the physics is applied differently. Even though it appears as two vessels to you, from the game's perspective there is only one long vessel with shifted center of gravity. Try placing your lander at different positions around the station. Also, there can be other mods that add extra physics on the vessels (like struts reinforcement) that can cause side effects.

On 12/26/2023 at 12:01 PM, IgorZ said:

In the docked mode, the physics is applied differently. Even though it appears as two vessels to you, from the game's perspective there is only one long vessel with shifted center of gravity. Try placing your lander at different positions around the station. Also, there can be other mods that add extra physics on the vessels (like struts reinforcement) that can cause side effects.

That's the weird thing. The physics isn't treating it as one vessel, which is how I thought it was supposed to work. The two parts freely move relative to each other. I will dock a rover to a base, and the base will stay still while the rover lifts into the air and whips around on the end of its hose, or just slides farther and farther away until KIS decides the hose is too long and severs it.

Basically, any time I hook a small rover to a base, at the very BEST it thrashes enough to break one or more of the wheels. It happens no matter where I connect them. Using pylons as intermediaries doesn't help either. Sometimes just the act of putting the connection into docked mode makes the pylon explode from physics freakout.

On 12/29/2023 at 11:05 PM, Tokamak said:

The physics isn't treating it as one vessel, which is how I thought it was supposed to work.

It seems so to you, but under the hood there is a lot of logic, which takes into account the vessel as whole and each part in particular. KSP has extra logic around the normal Unity physics to remove physics simulation side effects. It's one reason why KSP2 had so many negative feedback at the start: they assumed Unity will do all the work for them, but nope - it won't.

If you constantly see the issue, try swapping the RTS and JS parts. When doing the docking, the game has a thing: "the dominant vessel". I tried to address it in the RTS part, but who knows.

Btw, did you try to use TJ-2 part? Physics wise, it's basically the same as RTS.