Anybody play an instrument?

Kozak

Studied violin for a number of years, and some classical acoustic guitar. That was another life ago though. My grandfather was a concert violinist... my original inspiration. All of my friends, past and present, are either professional musicians (some famous) or have such in their family (some famous). I have no idea how or why my life worked out that way, it just did.

Alto and Soprano saxophone. I'm better on the Alto, having played it much longer, but my Soprano is much cuter, having a curved bell like the bigger Saxophones. It's also silver (in color, not material). I really enjoy big band stuff, and I do that when I can, but in the later years it's mostly been Jazz (I haven't performed or played in a band in a while). Jazz music is less fun to play overall, but you get to do a lot more improv, so it all works out.

I also have an acoustic bass guitar, though I've yet to learn how to read bass clef. I can play it well enough by ear though to get by for basic stuff. Went acoustic so that I don't need to rely on amps, so that I can take it camping and whatnot.

I also dabbled a bit in singing, but my range is a bit awkward in terms of singing songs in the original pitch. When I was singing, my feature would listen to a song I wanted to do, work out how to play it by ear, then he would transcribe it into a lower key for me. Most artists sing too high for me, but my voice isn't low enough to drop their songs a whole octave (or two octaves for women) either, so that was really good. I do miss having that. It occurs to me though that I could probably set up my computer to alter the pitch on songs I want to sing, to be a better match. I should try that.

Mostly do songs from the 80's and late 70's. I like plenty of more modern stuff, but I found those songs easier and more fun to sing. Piano Man, Sings, Africa (Africa actually needs two people or it sounds wrong, which is a shame), mmmm, among others. Key is a poodle though, needs to come down like 4 intervals to be comfortable.

I played in middle school band and in a elementary orchestra team for half of a school year.

In 5th grade I played violin for half a year, but I had to quit before the year ended as I didn't know at the time I was NEAR SIGHTED and trying to view a music stand with tiny markings 3-4 feet away was a problem unbeknownst to me at the time. Thankfully it was corrected before entering middle school. 

When I entered middle school I directly entered Advanced Beginners Band playing the trombone, however this posed another problem for me as I'm tone deaf and having an instrument that's primarily based on slide positions, it's critical. So I only played half of a year of trombone before I swapped from it to percussion in the later half of the year. 

From the later half of 6th grade through 8th, I played percussion in Concert Band twice and Jazz Band 2 twice. I specifically played standup bass drum, timpani (my favorite :D ! ), snare drum, drum kit, xylophone, vibraphone, and cowbell (shredded a drum stick playing it). 

Sadly I didn't have the real drive and I didn't go into high school band. Granted I went into musical composition in 10th grade and for a sort while started piano lessons but school over took me and I had to stop soon after starting. That was my last musical experience however I am looking into getting a music making software again and making more music.

tl:dr: 1/2 a year of violin, 1/2 a year of trombone, 2 1/2 years of percussion (snare, stand up bass drum, timpani, drum kit, cow bell, vibraphone, xylophone), few weeks of piano practice, and musical composition. 

Any suggestions for what musical creation software? Windows programs only.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

3 minutes ago, AlmostNASA said:

I played trumpet, clarinet, flute, baritone horn (treble Clef), drum set, guitar, tenor saxophone, alto saxophone, and finally....... Baritone saxophone all as a ten year old and i mastered them all.

Nice! I take it you like music?

• 3 weeks later...

I play violin. I play many non-orchestra music, such as Still Alive, my horrid renditions of Danger Zone, Smoke on the Water, MASH theme, and several others. I can also play the KSP theme and Top Gun Anthem. And I can botch TGA on paino. I also do a little chiptune composing. Maybe I'll show some off.

A chiptune I made. It doesn't sound good on a mobile device due to slow processing, but sounds nice on computers:

http://www.beepbox.co/#5s0kbl00e05t7a7g0fj7i0r1w1111f0000d1111c0000h0000v0000o3210bchgBdh4h4h4x4h4h4h4h4h4h4h4h4h4h4h4i4h4h4h4p222xpzF48qp3j8qpLMdtOF06CgOfMNpop6gQO6Fx3nop7gOj05X7KWK5cugQ1E3h8xFBgQ1Akcm1AgQ1F3i6h3u6AkNOksyewt8WhINUA00gFy84rMQ3J3ihxG8QxE7k6CAo0

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.