8x physics warp?

Xyphos

I was playing around with the ion engines again, 4x physics warp helps alot but it's still too slow.
what would the side effect be for an 8x physics warp, that prevents it from being in game?

Edited by Xyphos

Nothing prevents it. 4x was just a somewhat arbitrary limit because in most cases the physics engine goes a little nuts when under high warp. (In atmo flight, high reaction wheel torque, long rockets w/ many joints, etc.)

This mod allows for customization: 

20 minutes ago, Tank Buddy said:

This mod allows for customization

Thanks, but I'll have to wait for it to update to 1.1.3 - I don't have 1.0.5 anymore since the wheels were fixed.

I was just wondering why it wasn't available in stock. if it's atmospheric flight that's a problem, then 8x should only be available in stock inside a vacuum, IMHO.

1 minute ago, Xyphos said:

Thanks, but I'll have to wait for it to update to 1.1.3 - I don't have 1.0.5 anymore since the wheels were fixed.

I was just wondering why it wasn't available in stock. if it's atmospheric flight that's a problem, then 8x should only be available in stock inside a vacuum, IMHO.

I think it's just a niche feature. It would be a great feature to have for ion engines and rovers, but I think the infrequency of their use doesn't justify it beyond having a mod.

8 minutes ago, Xyphos said:

It's not only atmospheric flight. It's any time a ship is under a large enough stress. 4x usually works fine with ions and nukes, but your otherwise perfectly fine ship with more standard engines could easily bend, twist, and in many cases explode under 4x warp. And those that CAN handle 4x warp usually require a lot of care. As in, you better not try to turn. As 4x is a LOT worse than 3x, I can only imagine that 8x would be even worse. Likely more than twice as bad, if you were able to quantify "bad" in a meaningful way.

Watch out using more than 4x physical time warp.  I had used better time warp for a bit and tried it on nuke tug at 8x and it started flipping out of control even though it was rock solid the rest of the time.  Tried it again at 5x and while it was much better than 8x, it was still starting to wiggle out of alignment.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.