(v2.3) The Planet Six Probe Challenge: Now With Moons/Science Defs

I think I might have found a possible bug with the planet pack. 

Spoiler

I was looking at Fritz and Derg, at it appears that both planets have a sharp spiny mountain located on both their north poles. Is this a terrain glitch or an intended feature. Erkers and it's sub-satellite don't have this issue, so if it's an intended feature that's fine by me. I just heard of planet makers finding difficulty with the north poles of their planets.

And I was thinking more of the idea of a possible atmospheric moon. I read the temperature file for End, and that temperature is way too low. Even Oort cloud objects, many times farther from the sun than even the most extreme Planet 9 predictions, have a surface temperature of around 6 degrees kelvin. In reality Planet 9 (and it's moons) would have a surface temperature of around 30 degrees kelvin at the lowest, the Kuiper belt average is 50 degrees. From these predictions I think an atmospheric moon should have either a Hydrogen or a Helium atmosphere.  If you really want to go all out, have a few Liquid Oxygen or Nitrogen oceans, assuming the moon is heated by tidal forces from End. Oceans are hard to code though, so I wouldn't worry about it if you don't want too. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2016 at 3:58 AM, BashGordon33 said:

I think I might have found a possible bug with the planet pack. 

Hide contents

I was looking at Fritz and Derg, at it appears that both planets have a sharp spiny mountain located on both their north poles. Is this a terrain glitch or an intended feature. Erkers and it's sub-satellite don't have this issue, so if it's an intended feature that's fine by me. I just heard of planet makers finding difficulty with the north poles of their planets.

And I was thinking more of the idea of a possible atmospheric moon. I read the temperature file for End, and that temperature is way too low. Even Oort cloud objects, many times farther from the sun than even the most extreme Planet 9 predictions, have a surface temperature of around 6 degrees kelvin. In reality Planet 9 (and it's moons) would have a surface temperature of around 30 degrees kelvin at the lowest, the Kuiper belt average is 50 degrees. From these predictions I think an atmospheric moon should have either a Hydrogen or a Helium atmosphere.  If you really want to go all out, have a few Liquid Oxygen or Nitrogen oceans, assuming the moon is heated by tidal forces from End. Oceans are hard to code though, so I wouldn't worry about it if you don't want too. 

Response:

Spoiler

Polar spike is not intentional, but it's also not major enough for me to care to fix it.

Additionally: I know End's temperature is impossible. I also don't care. It's a *mystery* woo!

On 13/07/2016 at 7:49 PM, Elowiny said:

You think your ship was overbuilt? Mine had 16k Delta-V and I nearly ran out of fuel! I really need to plot my trajectories.

You think your ship was overbuilt? Mine is in orbit around the moon of planet 6 with 27K Dv left...

I accept the Super Mode challenge-- with a twist: I'm going to colonize Erkers. With a giant mothership. And build an orbital assembly station there. Because I can.

Or is that more Hyper Mode, @GregroxMun?

Are any other mods than NFT banned?

Edited by njmksr

7 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

If you can pull it off, it's potential Hyper Mode.

Case-by-case basis. No Orion Nuclear Pulse or anything too Overpowered.

Is B9 HX permitted?

If so, I will begin preliminary design on the IXS-031 USS Armstrong.

Edited by njmksr

Just now, GregroxMun said:

If I recall correctly, the B9 massive parts only look futuristic, but are actually balanced with stock stats. Right? Isp in the 360s range?

I think so, with the tremendous power of the HX engines being balanced with a fuel economy that would make the designers of the Prius quake in terror.

• 2 weeks later...

On August 21, 2016 at 2:13 PM, njmksr said:

I think so, with the tremendous power of the HX engines being balanced with a fuel economy that would make the designers of the Prius quake in terror.

The HX engines have a first mode with a ton of power and abysmal ISP, and a second mode with low thrust and reasonable efficiency. Thought you might know, but wanted to be clear. 

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.