Hello. New to KSP

drh1961

Hello,

im a new user of KSP. Tried the demo a while ago, my crappy laptop doesn't run it well.

I just purchased the PS4 version and messed around a bit. I can successfully launch and recover a space capsule if I don't go too high. If I go too high I ruin my parachute on descent and my little Kerbal dies.  Anyway I don't know what I'm doing but love it already! I'm  thinking the basic science mode tutorial on the wiki is a good place to start, then look at all resources available here.

wish me luck!

Hi! Its awesome that you came to join us! You'll be visiting every planet in one launch with your eyes closed before you know it. As for your parachute, you could try falling without it for a while, then deploy it once the air has slowed you down enough. That should keep it from getting messed up. Good luck!

Hi, and welcome.

You'll find these forums full of friendly, helpful fellow players.

As has already been suggested check out Scott Manley's you tube videos, and enjoy climbing the steep learning curve.

youll get lotsa good info from everyone here, we love to help everyone enjoy the thrill of conquering space.

waiting to deploy your chute until youve slowed  down is  key.  if you are having troubles getting to a slow speed before you hit the ground, try a more shallow approach.  30km as a periapse is my golden rule

Hi and welcome! I will give you some useful advice that took me a really long time to figure out.

A. In the bottom right of the VAB and SPH screen (at least on computer version) is the staging. It goes from bottom to top and you can drag its components around to change the staging order.

B. When you are at a maneuver, start the burn at half of the predicted burn time from the point at which your maneuver is scheduled. Like if it says it should take 22 seconds, start the burn 11 seconds before the maneuver says to start. That way the burn is centred on its scheduled time and is about the most accurate (since the mass of the ship changes as fuel is burnt and leaves it, it's not 100% exact, but whatever).

C. Um... well, actually, I don't have a third piece of gaming advice. I'll update this post if I can think of one.

:) 

5 hours ago, drh1961 said:

Hello,

im a new user of KSP. Tried the demo a while ago, my crappy laptop doesn't run it well.

I just purchased the PS4 version and messed around a bit. I can successfully launch and recover a space capsule if I don't go too high. If I go too high I ruin my parachute on descent and my little Kerbal dies.  Anyway I don't know what I'm doing but love it already! I'm  thinking the basic science mode tutorial on the wiki is a good place to start, then look at all resources available here.

wish me luck!

Welcome aboard! Fly like a Kerbal my good man.

Thanks for the welcome and the input everyone.

I started over a little while ago in science mode and am surviving some simple two stage solid fuel rocket launches. Still relatively low altitude, around 40,000 meters. 

The secret ingredient was the radial mounted rogue chute. Once I had that installed and dialed in survivability went way up.

Thanks again everyone!

good times!

Edited by drh1961