My Exoplanet Discoveries [Formerly "KIC 7848638 - My First Solar System"]

ProtoJeb21

Questions about this system  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which is Your Favorite Object in the System?

• Chantico (KIC 7848638 b)
    • Montu (KIC 7848638 c)
    • Sethlans (KIC 7848638 d)
    • Kupole (KIC 7848638 e)
    • Indra (KIC 7848638 f)
    • Vajra (KIC 7848638 f-1)
    • Koyash (KIC 7848638)
  2. 2. What Should Be The New Name for Indra?

This poll is closed to new votes

On 9/2/2016 at 11:54 AM, Spaceception said:

How far away is the system?

I'm getting rain right now.

In fact my family had to "Evacuate" Florida on our RV a couple days ago in pouring rain, I was completely soaked helping get the RV hooked up to the car..

I don't know how far KIC 7848638 is. Maybe at least 500 light years.

That sucks. At least nothing Sandy-like has happened with Hermine...yet. I'm already getting cloud coverage and Tropical Storm Warnings for the storm now.

56 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I don't know how far KIC 7848638 is. Maybe at least 500 light years.

That sucks. At least nothing Sandy-like has happened with Hermine...yet. I'm already getting cloud coverage and Tropical Storm Warnings for the storm now.

In SpaceEngine using it's apparent magnitude and radius gives me the distance of 997 light-years.

Apparently here in New England Hermine is going to linger for a few days and might cause Sandy-like damage. We just got our first tropical storm warnings. Oh well...

10 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

In SpaceEngine using it's apparent magnitude and radius gives me the distance of 997 light-years.

Apparently here in New England Hermine is going to linger for a few days and might cause Sandy-like damage. We just got our first tropical storm warnings. Oh well...

My original estimate was around 1,000 light years, so I was pretty close! Only off by 1 parsec!

Aaannnd here comes our annual school-closing, coast-demolishing late summer/autumn storm. Bummer.

1 minute ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

My original estimate was around 1,000 light years, so I was pretty close! Only off by 1 parsec!

Aaannnd here comes our annual school-closing, coast-demolishing late summer/autumn storm. Bummer.

Annual? This is our first since Sandy.

Some people might remember the Goliath planet, IPH-4b, that was revealed to me to be the candidate planet KOI-5308.01 by a user on Planet Hunters. He also told me that Goliath was 21.86 E_Radii, not 28.577 E_Radii.

I decided to see how far off the planets' radius values were from what they actually were in reality. To do this, I divided Goliath's real radius by its false radius to get 0.764950834587. This means that every candidate planet I have detected on Planet Hunters is 76.4950834587% the size I originally calculated for it. Using that value I refined the radius values for the planets (and moon) of the KIC 7848638 system.

• Chantico: 0.895 Re
  • Montu: 0.525 Re
  • Sethlans: 0.688 Re
  • Kupole: 1.247 Re
  • Indra: 1.5911 Re
  • Vajra: 0.277 Re

Now here's where things get complicated with Indra: It's actual radius is just shy of 1.6 Earth radii. That is the generally accepted limit for the radius of a terrestrial planet. However, rocky planets have been found up to about 2.5 Earth radii (Like Kepler-338b), and gas planets can be less than 1.3 Earth radii (Like Kepler-138d). So what exactly is Indra? Is it a small gas dwarf, a potentially life-friendly ocean world, or a Mars-like Super Earth? This makes Indra's name complicated as well. I reserved the name "Indra" for a gas dwarf or giant at the very edge of its star's habitable zone, like where KIC 7848638 f is in its system. There's a 50-50 chance that Indra actually isn't a gas planet and doesn't deserve its current name. If an ocean world, it would be called Apeliotes; If a Super-Mars, it would either be named Kratos or Ash. This composition issue means that Indra WON'T be in the first release of ProtoJeb's Planets. Sorry :(.

@_Augustus_ would these new radius values change the ESI values for Kupole and Indra?

1 hour ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Some people might remember the Goliath planet, IPH-4b, that was revealed to me to be the candidate planet KOI-5308.01 by a user on Planet Hunters. He also told me that Goliath was 21.86 E_Radii, not 28.577 E_Radii.

I decided to see how far off the planets' radius values were from what they actually were in reality. To do this, I divided Goliath's real radius by its false radius to get 0.764950834587. This means that every candidate planet I have detected on Planet Hunters is 76.4950834587% the size I originally calculated for it. Using that value I refined the radius values for the planets (and moon) of the KIC 7848638 system.

• Chantico: 0.895 Re
  • Montu: 0.525 Re
  • Sethlans: 0.688 Re
  • Kupole: 1.247 Re
  • Indra: 1.5911 Re
  • Vajra: 0.277 Re

Now here's where things get complicated with Indra: It's actual radius is just shy of 1.6 Earth radii. That is the generally accepted limit for the radius of a terrestrial planet. However, rocky planets have been found up to about 2.5 Earth radii (Like Kepler-338b), and gas planets can be less than 1.3 Earth radii (Like Kepler-138d). So what exactly is Indra? Is it a small gas dwarf, a potentially life-friendly ocean world, or a Mars-like Super Earth? This makes Indra's name complicated as well. I reserved the name "Indra" for a gas dwarf or giant at the very edge of its star's habitable zone, like where KIC 7848638 f is in its system. There's a 50-50 chance that Indra actually isn't a gas planet and doesn't deserve its current name. If an ocean world, it would be called Apeliotes; If a Super-Mars, it would either be named Kratos or Ash. This composition issue means that Indra WON'T be in the first release of ProtoJeb's Planets. Sorry :(.

@_Augustus_ would these new radius values change the ESI values for Kupole and Indra?

Plugging it in now.

ESIs:

Sethlans: 0.756

Kupole: 0.744

Indra: 0.563

Indra is now a frozen wasteland, so call it Kratos.

Sethlans is a bit hot, but it could support many extremophiles, and it's ocean could host life.

Kupole is too cold, and is similar to Mars.

Edited by _Augustus_

7 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

Plugging it in now.

ESIs:

Sethlans: 0.756

Kupole: 0.744

Indra: 0.563

Indra is now a frozen wasteland, so call it Kratos.

Sethlans is a bit hot, but it could support many extremophiles, and it's ocean could host life.

Kupole is too cold, and is similar to Mars.

So Sethlans is more Earth-like than a nearly Earth-sized planet that's actually in the conservative habitable zone...

Noted.

51 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

So Sethlans is more Earth-like than a nearly Earth-sized planet that's actually in the conservative habitable zone...

Noted.

In all simulations, Kupole is a cold desert world only because it does not grow a thick enough atmosphere. Sethlans and Kupole, relative to the center of the habitable zone of Koyash, are at the distances of Venus and Mars respectively. In previous simulations when it was bigger, Sethlans was a super-Venus.

6 hours ago, _Augustus_ said:

In all simulations, Kupole is a cold desert world only because it does not grow a thick enough atmosphere. Sethlans and Kupole, relative to the center of the habitable zone of Koyash, are at the distances of Venus and Mars respectively. In previous simulations when it was bigger, Sethlans was a super-Venus.

What was the mass of KIC 7848638 in your simulations? I could use that for ProtoJeb's Planets.

8 hours ago, Spaceception said:

Does that mean the planets possible mass assuming an Earth like composition, would be less than 2 Earth masses?

Kupole could have around 2 Earth masses if rocky. Chantico, Montu, and Sethlans are less than 2Me and Indra is over 2.5Me.

I added a new section to the OP for my other candidate exoplanet systems. For now on, I'll report my newest Planet Hunters findings on this thread. Planets discovered SPECIFICALLY by IRVEES will be reported on the IRVEES thread.

I'm also making new Space Engine replicas of the planets around Koyash, and they're just about done! Screenshots should be up in a few days.

1 hour ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I added a new section to the OP for my other candidate exoplanet systems. For now on, I'll report my newest Planet Hunters findings on this thread. Planets discovered SPECIFICALLY by IRVEES will be reported on the IRVEES thread.

I'm also making new Space Engine replicas of the planets around Koyash, and they're just about done! Screenshots should be up in a few days.

I wish I could like the OP more than once.

Edited by Spaceception

• 2 weeks later...

Surprise! Two new systems!

First is IPH-5, a VERY small K-Dwarf with a radius of 0.51 suns and a temperature of 4,300 kelvin. Two planets, each around 3/4 the size of Earth, orbit it every 28 and 90.25 days. The outer planet (nicknamed Feronia) appears to be smack in the habitable zone. Promising!

Next is IPH-6. There is a clearly defined transit in one of its quarters on Planet Hunters. However, a bug with the site has made me unable to investigate it. Darnit. ;.;

15 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Surprise! Two new systems!

First is IPH-5, a VERY small K-Dwarf with a radius of 0.51 suns and a temperature of 4,300 kelvin. Two planets, each around 3/4 the size of Earth, orbit it every 28 and 90.25 days. The outer planet (nicknamed Feronia) appears to be smack in the habitable zone. Promising!

Next is IPH-6. There is a clearly defined transit in one of its quarters on Planet Hunters. However, a bug with the site has made me unable to investigate it. Darnit. ;.;

SubEarths? Does that basically prove they're terrestrial?

HUGE UPDATE!

I found this really good video by Artifexian on Youtube that describes how to calculate mass, radius, luminosity, habitable zone ranges, and lifespan for main-sequence stars. Using this I decided to calculate all the missing parameters for every star I have a confirmed radius value of. The results are pretty shocking. I won't go over the new stellar info (it's now in the OP), but I will go over some changes to the planets:

• SETHLANS is uninhabitable.
  • KUPOLE looks a lot like Kepler-452b now.
  • INDRA/KRATOS is just outside the habitable zone.
  • GILTINE and LOGI aren't as hot as once thought.
  • NANTOSUELTA may be a comfortable desert world, and not an inhospitable, barren rock.
  • GIBIL is more likely to have a lava-covered front side than GILTINE.
  • AUSRA could be similar to NANTOSUELTA.
  • FERONIA is very close to the temperatures of Kepler-174b and Kepler-186f.

@_Augustus_ Can you try to find the ESI values of Kupole, Indra/Kratos, Nantosuelta, Ausra, and Feronia using the new info?

9 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

HUGE UPDATE!

I found this really good video by Artifexian on Youtube that describes how to calculate mass, radius, luminosity, habitable zone ranges, and lifespan for main-sequence stars. Using this I decided to calculate all the missing parameters for every star I have a confirmed radius value of. The results are pretty shocking. I won't go over the new stellar info (it's now in the OP), but I will go over some changes to the planets:

• NANTOSUELTA may be a comfortable desert world, and not an inhospitable, barren rock.

@_Augustus_ Can you try to find the ESI values of Kupole, Indra/Kratos, Nantosuelta, Ausra, and Feronia using the new info?

Nice! How many are likely to exist? And have you shared the data with the Habitable Exoplanet Catalog guys? They do put unconfirmed planets on the list, if there's a good probability of its existence.

6 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Nice! How many are likely to exist? And have you shared the data with the Habitable Exoplanet Catalog guys? They do put unconfirmed planets on the list, if there's a good probability of its existence.

1. I'm not too sure. Right now I'm guessing that 3 planets around Koyash, 3 around Arinna, 4 around Arinniti, 3 around KOI-5308 A, 2 around Thesan, and that one around IPH-6 are real.
  2. I haven't, because no scientist on Planet Hunters has noticed the candidates yet. I don't really want to report something that may not be real and that the PHL may think is a hoax.

Also, last day of being pinned!

Edited by ProtoJeb21

1 minute ago, ProtoJeb21 said:
  1. I'm not too sure. Right now I'm guessing that 3 planets around Koyash, 3 around Arinna, 4 around Arinniti, 3 around KOI-5308 A, 2 around Thesan, and that one around IPH-6 are real.
  2. I haven't, because no scientist on Planet Hunters has noticed the candidates yet. I don't really want to report something that may not be real and that the PHL may think is a hoax.

Fingers crossed when you do report your findings :)

2 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Literally nothing has changed

2 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

HUGE UPDATE!

Literally no real changes, but you are correct about Kupole. It's a super-Mars.

I have to simulate the other stars. Can you give me information on the actual names of the other stars?

On 9/30/2016 at 5:53 PM, _Augustus_ said:

I have to simulate the other stars. Can you give me information on the actual names of the other stars?

The parent star of Kupole and Indra/Apeliotes* is KIC 7848638 (duh :P)

The parent star of Nantosuelta is KIC 7586580.

The parent star of Ausra and Feronia is KIC 7051256.

*I'm thinking of renaming Indra "Apeliotes" because it's likely to be an icy waterworld.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.