Onward to Jool! - A Jool 5 challenge log.

DerekL1963

I haven't posted in a few days because RL has been busy, and because the flights I have been able to fly have been pretty boring...  Flying my tanker back and forth, loading up at a fuel depot and fueling the mothership for the upcoming mission

.screenshot127.png

The various vehicles were launched with only oxidizer and monoprop onboard to save weight and simplify on-orbit logistics.  Even so, and even with TAC Fuel Balancer it was tedious as heck to keep track of all the tanks....

The fueling job is now complete, and all that's left to do is launch the crew transfer vehicle and the crew, one last fueling mission to fuel the transfer vehicle and we're off to Jool!

Update 10/20/2016:

The last component, the T/TV which shuttles propellant and crew around the Joolian system, is launched.

screenshot131.png

On orbit, the T/TV passed over KSC just minutes before the crew is launched.

screenshot133.png

And finally...  the big launch, the ferry flight of Jool-5's flight crew.

screenshot141.png

After docking with the T/TV, the crew is transferred...

screenshot143.png

(Doesn't Valentina look pleased that's she's just ferrying the crew and not going to be stuck in space for years?)

And the ferry returns to Kerbin...  (I was coming in pretty steep, from a 250km orbit, and so when the service module was jettisioned when I hit atmosphere it hung close to the capsule for quite awhile.)

screenshot144.png

And the T/TV rendezvouses with the mothership...  This was a really white knuckle docking, somehow the Quad lander had gotten rotated slightly and I wasn't 100% sure that the T/TV would clear the lander's radial stages.

screenshot146.png

A final visit by the OFV tops off the T/TV's monopropellant and fuel tanks.  Plus it's just a really cool shot.

screenshot150.png

And finally after twelve launches...  711 tons, sixteen LV-N's, and 4300 m/s of of dV.  The mothership is ready to depart.

screenshot152.png

Great work, it looks like a capable ship.  I think you should have more than 4300 dV with that design, unless the orange tanks are lander fuel only (I can't tell since you're using a fuel switcher)?  Especially if you pumped fuel from two of your engine stages to the other two and dropped them when you run out, like asparagus staging.

Your landers also look like they are capable with safe margins of delta V.  Did you test your Laythe lander on Kerbin first?  With no fins or gimballed engines it might not fly straight in atmosphere.

23 hours ago, sdj64 said:

Great work, it looks like a capable ship.  I think you should have more than 4300 dV with that design, unless the orange tanks are lander fuel only (I can't tell since you're using a fuel switcher)?  Especially if you pumped fuel from two of your engine stages to the other two and dropped them when you run out, like asparagus staging.

Thanks!

The orange and iron tanks are either LFO (for the landers) or LF (for the crew transport/fuel transfer vehicle), the MK3 tanks are LF for the main engines.  I hadn't tried dropping engine stages, mostly to retain a decent t/w ratio at Jool insertion.  And it's actually got a pretty decent mass fraction, the engine stages at departure are around 50% of the total weight, so I don't actually gain much by dropping a pair.

The only real problem caused by keeping them around is changing attitude, but the monoprop left in their tanks (which will be used to refuel the transport/transfer vehicle) makes up for that.

23 hours ago, sdj64 said:

Your landers also look like they are capable with safe margins of delta V.  Did you test your Laythe lander on Kerbin first?  With no fins or gimballed engines it might not fly straight in atmosphere.

The Laythe lander was tested by Hyperediting it to Laythe.  (Hyperedit was uninstalled prior to starting assembly in Kerbin orbit.)  I avoid tumbling by flying an insanely lofted trajectory and not starting my gravity turn until it's into the upper atmosphere.

Edited by DerekL1963

Update 10/24/2016

Y48 D267

Aaand - we're underway for Jool!

screenshot153.png

After completing the burn, I took @sdj64's suggestion and dropped two of the drive sections.  It did drop my t/w (but not unmanageably so), I gained 300 m/s of d/V (12%), and there's plenty of monoprop in the remaining two drive sections.  (I was running short during my dress rehearsal, and I'm counting on tanks in the drive sections to help out.)

Plus doing so right after the burn means they have plenty of time to drift clear of the mothership, helped along by using their remaining mono for a retro-burn.

screenshot156.png

A close encounter with the Mun on the way of Kerbin's SOI.

screenshot158.png

Y51 D379

After three years in transit - braking into a 47,000km orbit around Jool with Vall in the background.  The burn ended up in a slightly eccentric, slightly inclined orbit, and after a couple of quick burns I'm ready for operations!

screenshot167.png

Congrats on getting your ship to Jool. I like your ship's design. It has a large drive section and some very interesting landers if I may say so myself. I tip my hat as we are both currently completing the challenge. You just made it to Jool, I just made orbit. Good Luck on the rest of your mission. :D

3 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Woo hoo! What a great moment, arriving in the Jool system. Every moment there is interesting, I still get a little thrill every time one of the moons casts a shadow. Congrats!

I won't lie, I spent a good part of the final approach only mildly timewarped - I love watching the dance of the inner moons.

3 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

Congrats on getting your ship to Jool. I like your ship's design. It has a large drive section and some very interesting landers if I may say so myself.

Thanks!

Update 10/26/2016

Y51 D387 - Tylo operations commence.   With three out-and-back flights and six dockings, it's the most complex phase of the mission.

Undocking the Quad Lander, a bit of a nail biter because I have to translate as soon as I undock to avoid hitting the T/TV.  I probably should have undocked the T/TV first and moved it to one of the side docking ports.

screenshot171.png

Y51 D419 - The T/TV meets up with the Quad Lander in Tylo orbit and refuels the cruise/crash stage.

screenshot179.png

Y52 D35 - The T/TV makes a round trip back to the mothership and fetches the crew and the fuel the Quad Lander will eventually need to return to the mothership.  After transferring the crew to the Quad Lander, they strap in and start the landing...  The first part is a nailbiter as I have to kick the cruise/crash stage away as soon as it runs dry.

screenshot181.png

Kicking up some dust just a few seconds before touchdown!

screenshot184.png

After touchdown, Jeb and Bill plant a flag and take the obligatory selfie.

screenshot189.png

With no atmosphere and only gravity losses to contend with, the lander pitches way over almost immediately and burns for orbit...  scary but efficient.

screenshot191.png

I forgot to write down the date, but after transferring to the T/TV, the crew returns to the mothership.

screenshot194.png

Y52 D104 - The Quad Lander returns to the mothership, officially ending the Tylo phase of the mission.

screenshot196.png

Update 10/27/2016

Logistically, the Laythe landing is much simpler because it's a one-way trip for the lander, and only one out-and-back trip for the T/TV.  But as we'll see, the mission is not without it's own challenges.

Y52 D104 - Undocking the Laythe lander, which then heads for Laythe.

screenshot197.png

Y52 D110 - The T/TV approaches Laythe to transfer the crew and refuel the lander.  (And a way cool picture. :) )

screenshot200.png

Y52 D111 - Landing day!

screenshot202.png
screenshot203.pngscreenshot204.png

Flag planted.

screenshot207.png

I thought I had gotten a screenshot of the ascent trajectory - straight up without pitching over until fairly high up (to avoid tumbling), but it seems to have vanished in the mist.

After the lander returns to orbit, since it won't be reused, it's drained of LFO and monoprop and left in orbit.

screenshot210.png

Y52 D118 - the T/TV docks with the mothership, and Laythe operations are complete.  (And look at the d/V - almost ran the tanks dry.)

screenshot215.png

Y52 D118 - The Quad Lander departs the mothership and heads to Vall.

screenshot217.png

Y 52 D137 - Once the lander is in a stable orbit at Vall, the T/TV undocks and heads down to refuel it.  During rendezvous and docking, I made a few screwups and used way too much monoprop.  Long term, not a problem as I have plenty in reserve.  Short term, a problem because the reserves are in tanks on the mothership. :)  But I figured out what I had done wrong, looked at the numbers, and crossing my fingers pressed on.

screenshot219.png
screenshot220.png

Y52 D156

The first step in landing is resetting my thrust, reducing the t/w ratio from nearly 6.00 to 2.00ish, which is much more sane.

screenshot221.png

Laythe on the horizon shortly before touchdown.

screenshot225.png

Once down, a flag is planted and the obligatory selfie for the folks back home is taken - and the boys are photobombed by Tylo!

screenshot226.png

Mathematically speaking, it's entirely reasonable for MJ's ascent autopilot to pitch way over as soon as the gear clears the ground.  It still gives me a heart attack every time though.

screenshot227.png

Burning for orbit... once again a wonderful view.

screenshot229.png

Once in orbit, the Quad Lander and the T/TV link up to take off the crew and refuel the lander.

screenshot231.png

Y52 D181 - the T/TV returns to the mothership.

screenshot233.png

Y52 D203 The quad lander returns to the mothership, this time docking to the crew compartment, and the Vall phase of operations is complete.  Three moons down, two to go.

screenshot235.png

Y52 D203 - The lander undocks, destination Bop!

screenshot237.png

Approaching Bop, like any other of the small bodies, is nerve wracking - you don't always get a visual display of your encounter the SOI is so small...

screenshot240.png

Y52 D216 - After entering orbit and picking a nice flat sunlight landing area, the descent begins.  It's not until I'm in final descent that I realize I may have made an error, there's a big mountain right to the East of the landing site...  right in my ascent path!

screenshot247.png

After touchdown, the boys get out to explore...  Jeb can't resist jumping.

screenshot251.png

Obligatory PR photo for the folks back home...

screenshot253.png

Clearing the mountain by manually ascending five kilometers before handing over to the ascent autopilot.

screenshot256.png

After reaching orbit, I plot an escape trajectory and eventually reach a stable circular orbit around Jool...  where the crew awaits for the arrival of the T/TV and more fuel.

Y52 D241 - arrival of the T/TV with a fresh load of fuel.

screenshot261.png

Edited by DerekL1963

Y52 D241 - When I originally practiced this, after refueling I headed back to the mothership.  This actually makes no sense, since I'm already halfway to Pol!  So, fat on fuel, I undock from the T/TV and head off on the last landing mission.

screenshot261.png

Y52 D260 - Pol orbit, and descent.

screenshot264.png

screenshot265.png

Y52 D261 - Touchdown and a flag raising on Pol!  All five moons complete.

screenshot267.png

Headed back to the mothership...  don't miss that rendezvous burn!

screenshot269.png

Y52 D284 - The lander docks with the mothership, it's job completed.

screenshot270.png

Y52 D295 - the T/TV docks with the mothership, time to refuel and head home.

screenshot272.png

Edited by DerekL1963

Y52 D295 - Headed home, the T/TV undocks and maneuvers clear of the mothership.

screenshot274.png

Fortunately, I get a nice return window without waiting too long.

screenshot275.png

Y53 D08 - Trans Kerbin Injection - headed home!

screenshot276.png

The long fall Kerbolward....

screenshot277.png

Y55 D297 - after seven years and thirty days...  the intrepid explorers brake into Kerbin orbit.

screenshot279.png

I forgot to write the day(s) down, but crew recovery commenced immediately after the end of the braking burn...

With Valentina once again piloting, the recovery vehicle climbs for orbit.

screenshot281.png

And swiftly docks with the T/TV...

screenshot283.png

Passing over KSC, re-entry heat builds...

screenshot285.png

A picture perfect touchdown off of KSC...

screenshot286.png

Crew recovery...

screenshot287.png

Five flags...

screenshot273.png

It's been a ton of work, and a long hard trip...  but it's done.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, DAL59 said:

All of the images are broken.  

I recommend you never use photobucket.  It is really buggy..  

I know they're broken, but have not had the time to fix them.  (It's several hours of time I haven't had with other projects on my plate.)

They are not broken because Photobucket is buggy, they're broken because Photobucket changed it's image hosting policy.

• 10 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.