[Minimum KSP version - 1.12] Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) v1.29

IgorZ

9 hours ago, torpmix said:

Check the linked picture. I grabbed the tank and hover now on the inventory. But - it is now behind the transparent inventory, If i release the left mouse button it will just drop down again.

6KpFtob.png

@torpmix You might just need to hit and hold "G", then click and hold the left mouse button and release the "G" key and move your cursor that now has the item-icon to the window to release the item at the desired slot.

@IgorZ this might just be KAS related, but is there any change to fix the distorted icons? (maybe that's just happening on Linux) .. when I wanna grab, detach or attach things then the cursor jumps to an above position but on mouse move it is like flicking to the previous location and back... hard to describe. it's like on function then cursor jumps but goes back when off. regardless of that everything works perfectly in KSP 1.4.1.

2 hours ago, Darinth said:

Any chance of the ability to store KIS inventory items 'disassembled'? I.E. an empty tank could in theory be disassembled into components that could be field-constructed to produce a complete tank. Should only be able to be done with empty parts. Right now I'm actually increasing by a massive amount KIS inventories in order to accomplish this, but that has the side-effect of allowing me to store containers full of items/materials inside of containers. It's easy enough for me to simply not abuse this most of the time, but I occasionally learn that I've benefited from it unknowningly when I put something in a KIS container that comes prestocked with materials I didn't realize it had. I'd be fine with it taking engineers to 'assemble'. It still seems odd though that in many cases I'd rather just attach the things I want to send to a rocket the old fashioned way when I have these nice containers specifically designed to deliver parts to locations.

Sorry, I don't understand the idea. Why storing things "disassembled" when you can store them "assembled"? Only to not let you forgetting dumping the fuel before taking an item into the space? :) Well, many people would argue with this this approach, since they think that holding resources in KIS containers is a great feature of this mod. The container in KIS is very similar to the real life object - if you can fit a fuel tank into it, then it doesn't matter if it has fuel or not, since it doesn't affect the geometrical size of the object. It's simply a storage, it's up to you what to store there.

2 minutes ago, LatiMacciato said:

@IgorZ this might just be KAS related, but is there any change to fix the distorted icons? (maybe that's just happening on Linux) .. when I wanna grab, detach or attach things then the cursor jumps to an above position but on mouse move it is like flicking to the previous location and back... hard to describe. it's like on function then cursor jumps but goes back when off. regardless of that everything works perfectly in KSP 1.4.1.

Never seen anything like this. KAS simply gives a texture to Unity engine to draw. If it doesn't show as desired in your system, then it's either Unity issue or your system is not healthy. Try recording a video, may be I'll get more ideas.

4 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Never seen anything like this. KAS simply gives a texture to Unity engine to draw. If it doesn't show as desired in your system, then it's either Unity issue or your system is not healthy. Try recording a video, may be I'll get more ideas

I'll try to reproduce asap, but this might just take a while.

21 minutes ago, Oracle255 said:

Is there a way to disable part weights inside Kis container ?

For example when i put 8 big orange tank inside kis container my rocket couldn't produce enough thrusts for a lift-off

Of course, there is no such a way! Can you "disable" the mass of the items in your backpack? I bet you can't. The same is here.

1 hour ago, LatiMacciato said:

I'll try to reproduce asap, but this might just take a while.

This video I made in KSP 1.4.2 but same happens in KSP 1.4.1
If you wish I can also make a video of it there too!

EDIT: yes I am aware of this might just be a KAS issue tho, but since this happens with KIS too and there was this topic opened already with the drag things around the inventory I thaught bringing this up might just be helpful to make both mods more reliable.

Edited by LatiMacciato

53 minutes ago, Oracle255 said:

Hmm that's too bad.. :huh:

i want to build a shuttle on the Moon 

If you want making it "no matter what", then you can use the cheat menu, offered by the stock game. Make a vessel, put it on the launchpad, press Alt+F12, choose "Cheats" (it's called this way for a reason), choose "Set orbit", and adjust the properties. Click "set orbit" and have your vessel orbiting Mun.

What KIS will never do (as long as I own it), is breaking the basic physics laws. If you put stuff into inventory, then the inventory mass increases. This is not going to change.

1 hour ago, LatiMacciato said:

This video I made in KSP 1.4.2 but same happens in KSP 1.4.1
If you wish I can also make a video of it there too!

EDIT: yes I am aware of this might just be a KAS issue tho, but since this happens with KIS too and there was this topic opened already with the drag things around the inventory I thaught bringing this up might just be helpful to make both mods more reliable.

Now I got it. Well, given your machine is not able to handle physics even on this simple vessel... I'd say this is the reason. The hint menu is shown at the mouse position, but the hardware rendered mouse is out of sync with the applications.

Edited by IgorZ

11 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Sorry, I don't understand the idea. Why storing things "disassembled" when you can store them "assembled"? Only to not let you forgetting dumping the fuel before taking an item into the space? :) Well, many people would argue with this this approach, since they think that holding resources in KIS containers is a great feature of this mod. The container in KIS is very similar to the real life object - if you can fit a fuel tank into it, then it doesn't matter if it has fuel or not, since it doesn't affect the geometrical size of the object. It's simply a storage, it's up to you what to store there.

Now that I look back at my post... I guess I a very key point in the concept. My apologies. The idea is to have the option to store disassembled parts in KIS containers to reduce their volume. Lots of parts in KSP if disassembled would become a lot smaller in terms of volume. The parts which would be impacted the most are tanks and other storage containers. An assembled tank has enough volume to accommodate all of it's contents, a disassembled tank could reasonably have in excess of 90% volume reduction. A lot of other items could benefit from similar reductions, but even many items like pods could receive fairly reasonable volume reductions by storing them as 'disassembled' parts.

10 hours ago, Darinth said:

Now that I look back at my post... I guess I a very key point in the concept. My apologies. The idea is to have the option to store disassembled parts in KIS containers to reduce their volume. Lots of parts in KSP if disassembled would become a lot smaller in terms of volume. The parts which would be impacted the most are tanks and other storage containers. An assembled tank has enough volume to accommodate all of it's contents, a disassembled tank could reasonably have in excess of 90% volume reduction. A lot of other items could benefit from similar reductions, but even many items like pods could receive fairly reasonable volume reductions by storing them as 'disassembled' parts.

Honestly, I'm not sure if it's a good idea. No doubts, it would be convenient, but it seems like a cheat. You cannot "disassemble" an arbitrary fuel tanks, they are manufactured at the factory for a reason: they are bulky, welding and precise positioning is needed to adhere the parts together, and they must be hermetic. I cannot imagine a realistic scenario when you can make a fuel tank out of the parts with just a screwdriver in your hands. However, I can imagine a specially designed "modular tank", for which the manual assembly in space is a key feature. And there are a lot of examples of such parts in the KSP mods world. If you make such a tank, I'll be totally OK with it, but making any stock tank collapsable doesn't seem to be a good idea to me.

Btw, if you don't care about the physics realism, you can simply increase the volume of the container part in the config :wink:

12 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Honestly, I'm not sure if it's a good idea. No doubts, it would be convenient, but it seems like a cheat. You cannot "disassemble" an arbitrary fuel tanks, they are manufactured at the factory for a reason: they are bulky, welding and precise positioning is needed to adhere the parts together, and they must be hermetic. I cannot imagine a realistic scenario when you can make a fuel tank out of the parts with just a screwdriver in your hands. However, I can imagine a specially designed "modular tank", for which the manual assembly in space is a key feature. And there are a lot of examples of such parts in the KSP mods world. If you make such a tank, I'll be totally OK with it, but making any stock tank collapsable doesn't seem to be a good idea to me.

Btw, if you don't care about the physics realism, you can simply increase the volume of the container part in the config :wink:

I'm relatively certain that neither a wrench nor a screwdriver is actually sufficient for about 95% of the work that I do with KIS. I'm assembling space ships using parts that almost always have to be hermetically sealed together in order to allow things like the crew transfer capabilities. I've always assumed the wrench/screwdriver to be representative of a 'wider variety of tools' needed to perform these tasks. With that said, I considered recommending additional requirements like more advanced tools or higher level engineers to perform the assemblies, but it seemed like too much work for such a simple concept.

And I'm actually running a patch atm which simply multiplies all KIS storage volumes by 4 to accommodate this, but I do actually like the physics realism and don't like to accidentally do things like store MKS modules full of machinery on accident. Thus is why I'm here. :)

Hi Igor,

Still my old problem. I made a custom Kerbal installation with only KIS,KAS and CCK as mods and still are not able to put something back into an inventory.

I can transfer from inventory to inventory but thats it.

regards

1 hour ago, Ericwi said:

Can I suggest adding in linux’s click through blocker with next release. 

That would be great! Click through-problems hit me so often... Have a big ship... setting up multiple large KIS containers... clicked through... changed ship,,, didn't knew what you changed ... need to CTRL-Z ... all KIS containers empty again... very annoying. :(
But hey, I managed to not throw out my computer through the window... \o/ :) Love KIS, tho. :)

Edited by Jebs_SY

10 hours ago, Ericwi said:

Can I suggest adding in linux’s click through blocker with next release. 

Could you please give more details? Is it in VAB or in flight?

I had problems in the editor, fiddling around inventory in multiple KIS containers and accidently clicked through the window onto the rocket. Could make a video, if needed. Have a highly modded install, tho.
Should KIS inventory windows have a click through protection already?
I saw LGG adding it to a mod in one of this twitch streams, was simple one "use" and then 2 time "search and replace"... One would have a dependency on click through blocker, tho.

2 hours ago, torpmix said:

my problem could also be described like a "click through" issue. You think you drop something into the inventory but you work behind the inventory window...

Can you describe the steps you are doing while trying to put things in inventory?

So I had an interesting issue that might apply to others. I'm posting here because it occurred while trying to grab an item ('G' key) and drag/drop the item into a KIS inventory slot. As it happens, one I hover the cursor over an item, and press 'G' to grab it, my cursor stops responding and simply cannot be dragged over to an inventory pane slot and dropped there. Flat-out does not work.

As it turns out, it's not a KIS issue at all, but rather one with the trackpad or the driver software used by the trackpad on my gaming laptop. IT IS NOT A KIS ISSUE AT ALL!  When I plugged in an external mouse, everything works just fine. I don't know why the heck my trackpad stops responding in KSP flight interface with the left button pressed, but it works fine with a mouse. I'm posting here just in case others are running into any similar-sounding issues with a trackpad. If so, perhaps using a mouse will resolve the issue for them.

4 hours ago, ExplorerKlatt said:

Can you describe the steps you are doing while trying to put things in inventory?

Thanks for the support!

Actually, trying to describe what happens wrong (the sequence of my steps) I got it right now! Thanks!!!

I did not keep the "G" AND left mouse button pressed while moving the item onto the other inventory

If I release one of these keys/buttons I lose the control and end behind the transparent inventory.

Looking into the manual and Igor's note further up, I see now that you have to "maintain "G"", one just has to read and follow :) Maybe the mouse button should also be mentioned ?

regards

Edited by torpmix

Welcome on Ksp Forum

Re-Download,Re-Fresh install with depencies like OP describe

,when still exist read the last few pages anybody had this bug too(fixed)

and on the end off that road and for future

some post like yours will ignored by some modders when not contain: log files, sys specs, and so on

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/163863-how-to-get-support

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.