Is it okay to play Career with...

Jestersage

Mocking attitude:The Squad mobile will arrive 2pm your local time to learn you the career rules once and for all.
Serious attitude: You decide the rules. KSP is not some kind of autocracy where you have to abide to custom rules or be banned from the forums or have your copy of KSP confiscated.

I wanted a spaceplane only career in v1.1.3. So I tech researched all the way up to Mk 2 parts, solar panels and panthers to skip the early career.
Now that I think about it. I had several careers where I cheated all the 45 tech nodes, because the early career is very boring imo.

Edited by Vaporized Steel

Another alternative if you dislike the early game is to use the Sounding Rockets mod (unsure if it's up-to-date for 1.2); that gives some nice experiments, and it's kinda fun to mess around with lightweight rockets in the early game.

The only thing I'd really frown on is not at least trying to make sure all your Kerbals get back home safe; I like the little green guys... it's probably part of why I use so many probes and obsessively test the manned missions with unmanned dry runs first.

I start with 5000 sciences to unlock the two first tier of tech.

I started too much career game, I don't find the five exploration of KSC in rover to gather the science to go un lock the science instrument, fun anymore....

The money (and remote tech and TACLS...) is what stopping me to go directly to Duna or Jool....

I used Strategia and specifically the strategy To Bodly go (give money for science in a new bime) to make sure that I'm still motivated to go everywhere... 

In my 1.1.3 I edited the persistent file to give myself 20000 science and 1,000,000,000 in cash.  Lacking the tech and money to do want I wanted to do got frustrating in 1.1.2.  I want to go to the Mun now not later.  When I start a new 1.2 game I'll do it without cheating.

I concur with GoSlash27. Play it how you want to play it... If you want to play it as stock. Go for it. Want to play with mods. Go for it. Want to unlock the whole tech tree in carrer mode at the start. Go for it.... Just remember.. As long as you are having fun. It does not matter how you play a single player game...

No.  No it isn't ok.  It's a terrible play style.

Now how did that make you feel?

Seriously, why do people ask these questions?  Is it really important that random people on the internet vindicate your life choices?

That's what I do. Start with about 3000 science - enough to get about half the tree (once you upgrade R&D of course), then late-game you have to work for the rest. :D

It simulates starting from a position more like SpaceX than NASA - the pioneering work has been done, now it's about refinement of space flight.

It is my toy and I will do with it what I want. Sometimes I turn on unlimited fuel and electricity to do something that isn't really possible with 21st century technology. Maybe some might think it is cheating in career mode, but I can see if you have already played several career games before, you would want to skip ahead to get to some really cool idea you have.

If you can imagine it - do it!

On 2016-10-21 at 0:55 AM, Kerbart said:

And remember when anyone accuses you of “cheating” or “not playing the way it is intended to be played;” ask them if they use time warp. And then respond with “and you are accusing me of cheating?!”

What this guy said. Have fun with it! Tinker and tweak whatever you like for a playstyle thats comfortable for YOU!  I personally unlock the beginning stuff myself because on my console just clicking "space centre" can cause my save file to delete itself lol, if i had to start over every time i lost my data i would die in a fire

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.