Sonic Boom Mod

Probus

1 hour ago, Garrett Kerman said:

We need this in stock. Would be awesome.

I must second this. I really want sonic booms and proper sound propagation. :)

I'm guessing the reason squad hasn't added it is because of making it work realistically would require an overhaul to the way sound works in the game, and you wouldn't actually hear the sonic boom that often. A sonic boom is only heard when the observer is passed by the shock cone of an object/plane traveling faster than sound. In front of the shock cone, you can't hear the plane*, at the shock cone, you here the loud noises due to the pressure. Behind the shock cone, you can hear the plane. Considering that your camera is fixed relative to the plane, you would likely either be in front of the shock cone or behind it, so it's a matter of chance (or searching) as to whether you'll hear the boom at all. Of course the shock cone narrows as your Mach number increases, but if your camera is sufficiently forward or backward, it might not even cross your POV, so you wouldn't hear it. In IVA you wouldn't hear it at all.

*imagine all the newbs posting the question "Why can't I hear my fast plane???" lol

The thing is, Sonic booms don't work the way you're thinking. A sonic boom is not experienced by the pilot and it is not a one-time occurrence that only happens when crossing the sound barrier. If any object is travelling the speed of sound or faster, it creates a shock cone which is the point at which the sonic boom is heard. When this shock cone passes over someone on the ground or another plane they hear the boom. The pilot however, would never hear the boom themselves, only outside observers;

http://www.nasa.gov/connect/chat/sonic_boom_chat.html#.WBUw_vl96Uk

Hush: Do people in the planes hear them?

Ed Haering (Aerospace Engineer): No, not a boom sound, unless another supersonic aircraft flies by. We have flown supersonic aircraft in formation to measure the sonic booms. We had an F-16XL within 100 ft below an SR-71. The F-16XL pilot feels slow pressure changes on his helmet, but does not hear a boom

Camera Tools (which positioned the camera outside the vehicle) had a feature where if you entered camera mode and a supersonic craft flew by, you'd hear a boom, but that mod hasn't been updated for a few months.

Since most launches are from an outside view and this is just a game (unless you play RO, then you're a bit cracked:confused:) hearing and "feeling" the boom would not be an unreasonable request.  Just for the fun of it, if nothing else.

Edited by Probus

There is a mod that gives you the audio features of sonic booms, and im pretty sure the camera shake is increased when you break the sound barrier (dont quote me on that since i havent flown any aircraft in quite a while, too much time spent on space battles).

2 hours ago, panzer1b said:

There is a mod that gives you the audio features of sonic booms, and im pretty sure the camera shake is increased when you break the sound barrier (dont quote me on that since i havent flown any aircraft in quite a while, too much time spent on space battles).

Yeah! This is what I'm looking for. Hopefully it will get updated. 

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 7:34 PM, RatchetinSpace said:

The thing is, Sonic booms don't work the way you're thinking. A sonic boom is not experienced by the pilot and it is not a one-time occurrence that only happens when crossing the sound barrier. If any object is travelling the speed of sound or faster, it creates a shock cone which is the point at which the sonic boom is heard. When this shock cone passes over someone on the ground or another plane they hear the boom. The pilot however, would never hear the boom themselves, only outside observers;

http://www.nasa.gov/connect/chat/sonic_boom_chat.html#.WBUw_vl96Uk

Hush: Do people in the planes hear them?

Ed Haering (Aerospace Engineer): No, not a boom sound, unless another supersonic aircraft flies by. We have flown supersonic aircraft in formation to measure the sonic booms. We had an F-16XL within 100 ft below an SR-71. The F-16XL pilot feels slow pressure changes on his helmet, but does not hear a boom

Camera Tools (which positioned the camera outside the vehicle) had a feature where if you entered camera mode and a supersonic craft flew by, you'd hear a boom, but that mod hasn't been updated for a few months.

This is still doable in the stock game. Other games model this well and in fact other mods have as well.

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 1:53 PM, Probus said:

Yeah! This is what I'm looking for. Hopefully it will get updated. 

Sadly, it looks to be over a year old. Might need a new maintainer.

THe "atmospheric sound enhancement" mod added a "sortof" sonic boom effect.

The only problem I had with the mod was that it made sounds more "realistic" ie: once you were out of the atmosphere, there was hardly any sound at all, so it was a little boring.

• 10 months later...
9 hours ago, Alpha_Gametauri said:

Would like to see a double sonic boom implemented for Space Shuttle landings.

Well the only reason there was a double boom was because of the shape of the shuttle.  To get this to work properly, you either need to add it to every plane that goes out of the spaceplane hanger, or every plane that has wings, or some arbitrary thing like that. I dont see a good way of doing that...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.