[Stock] Admiral class Aircraft Carrier - With VLS launchers, aircraft catapults, and more

Early college apps are due soon, but I decided to post this craft after months of neglect (and stumbling across my carrier when deleting file clutter).

Introducing, the Admiral class aircraft carrier. She's about 134 meters long, has a secondary angled flight deck, carries 10-20 jets and multirole helicopters, has 16 compact Sylver VLS launchers in two 8 cell modules (fitted with either the Hammer precision strike missile or Aster 15 SAM), has provisions for side launched speedboats and torpedo launchers, two aircraft catapults (Haven't really been touched for a few versions, and I'm planning replacements that actually work in the latest version. Staging is also messed up for the catapults at the moment.), and has reserved space for munitions elevators.

Max speed at light fuel load is over 30 m/s and 26 m/s in overload type conditions. It has a cruising range of 600 KM with 100,000 units of liquid fuel, which can be doubled with a currently under construction fleet tanker.

I only set up the staging for one of the VLS cells and missiles (although all cells are loaded with missiles), and the aircraft should be manually decoupled (with brakes on, and you might have to shift some of them closer to the centerline to prevent them from falling off).

For getting it into the water, use hyperedit. Note that it sometimes has a tendency to roll to the right when being dropped by hyperedit, so counteract it the second you detect it.

Download link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8w13ggo92idlycg/An Admiral 3_1.craft?dl=0

Specifications:

hxM9qLy.png

Pictures:

lYb6Nop.png

VLcn8Sa.png

m7w0d8N.png

2iw0ql2.png

my7OKaO.png

mJWTxiZ.png

7u9DyTg.png

St8XDLd.png

VLS cell instructions:

1. Stage the lid and erect to 90 degrees.

2. Switch to ship and launch missile from cell.

Note: Current loadout is 16 precision strike Hammer missiles. They're effective at striking lightly protected surface targets and can double as a SAM against slower aerial ones.

9 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

3844 parts! Is it even playable?

Depends on your level of patience.

6 hours ago, Azimech said:

Beautiful! No hangar deck/elevator?

How do the catapults work?

About that... the original prototype had provisions for a full aircraft elevator on the port side, but I decided to sacrifice the part count budget for an extra VLS cell module. I could remove one module and make some modifications, including installing a modified version of klond's tall elevator, to add the elevator. For the hangar, that would require a partial redesign of the rear portion, but nothing that can't be done... it's basically how much free time I have to work on the ship that determines how many features it gets.

For catapults, I can give you a test stand with an under development, though not fully functional, version of the system. It's missing a few key parts ATM, but it's almost ready for its first full power test run. It's both the connections between the jet and the catapult and the catapult's running path that are giving me issues, especially in the new version of KSP.

Edited by andrew123

On 10/31/2016 at 5:24 PM, andrew123 said:

and make some modifications, including installing a modified version of klond's tall elevator

I would like to see my stuff used, but Azimech's carrier elevator is really good - Low part count, supported on 4 corners, 2 position only (which is all he needs), auto-leveling.  And it's docked when stowed so it's not flopping around when you're cruising.  It's pretty spiffy.

UlP1Dk3.jpg

Keep us updated.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.