Sign in to follow this  
Dman979

Combat Mission: Black Sea

Does anyone here play any of the Combat Mission games? I just got into them, so I'd like to hear your experiences about them.

Whoa, looks like a 3D Close Combat or somesuch. Had no idea these existed, I might check them out (loved CC3).

1 hour ago, regex said:

Whoa, looks like a 3D Close Combat or somesuch. Had no idea these existed, I might check them out (loved CC3).

They have a free demo. I'm playing it right now. It's super realistic, but you have to micromanage a ton of stuff.

3 hours ago, Dman979 said:

They have a free demo. I'm playing it right now. It's super realistic, but you have to micromanage a ton of stuff.

Implying real combat has no micromanaging.

"where'd that rail lock for my carry handle go?"
"batteries? Oops, forgot those, now my sight is useless"
"oh, forgot my MRE heater bag, guess I'm not eating!"

• Like 3

Just now, legoclone09 said:

Implying real combat has no micromanaging.

Normally a Captain or Major doesn't have to tell a Sergent how to breach into a building.

A Captain tells a platoon to lead left, and the other to head to the center. He doesn't have to say "take cover behind this building."

CM puts you in command of a reinforced company, ususally, but it also wants you to do the thinking for your Lt.s and Sergents.

8 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Normally a Captain or Major doesn't have to tell a Sergent how to breach into a building.

A Captain tells a platoon to lead left, and the other to head to the center. He doesn't have to say "take cover behind this building."

CM puts you in command of a reinforced company, ususally, but it also wants you to do the thinking for your Lt.s and Sergents.

Yeah, that's lots of micromanaging.

ARMA is more realistic in that aspect of your sergeants/platoon leaders/etc being competent.

1 hour ago, Dman979 said:

And the higher gets the officer's rank, the simpler are rules and game pieces, the flatter is the game board...

Just now, kerbiloid said:

And the higher gets the officer's rank, the simpler are rules and game pieces, the flatter is the game board...

To paraphrase Patton, commanders should order units one link down the chain and know the positions of units two down.

• Like 1

Yes, and  sergeant plays Counterstrike, Leutenant plays with soldiers, Captain with cars and cannons, Colonel with tokens, General with arrows, high-rank General throws a coin...

• Like 1

On 11/1/2016 at 10:23 PM, kerbiloid said:

sergeant plays Counterstrike

Well, if they're in Russia the Counter Strike would help. :D