My Plane's Brakes Don't Work

So I just started down the tech tree and got to planes.  I decided to create a car to run around the main complex and gather science like I saw a guy doing on a YouTube video.

I have the first set of plane science with the starter wheels.

I created a car with science gear, a rocket cockpit, small engine, and the starter wheels.

The car will not stay in one place.  It rolls down hill when I launch.  I apply the brakes from the brake group and nothing happens, the car continues to roll.

So I fired up the engine and started down the runway then killed the engine and tried the brakes again.  No joy.

I looked at the specs and that first set of wheels are supposed to have 2km brakes.

What am I doing wrong?

Moving to Gameplay Questions.

When you say "the starter wheels", do you specifically mean the LY-05?

83px-LY-05_Steerable_Landing_Gear.png

This wheel has no brakes built in.  (It did when the part was first released in KSP 1.0, but the brakes were removed in KSP 1.1.)

Bewing asked: " Which "in game info", please? "

Click the left side "ground" tab.

Roll over the "LY_01 Fixed Landing Gear" and then right click to bring up extended information.

The extended info shows: Brake Torque: 2.0kNm however the brakes don't work.

You're generally supposed to use the http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/LY-05_Steerable_Landing_Gear as the nose wheel, and the http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/LY-01_Fixed_Landing_Gear as the rear wheels in a  standard "tricycle" formation.

Just like on many real airplanes the nose wheel is steerable but has no brakes, while the rear gear isn't steerable but has the brakes. (Real planes steer as they roll about on the ground by using either the left wheel or right wheel brakes.)

I haven't looked in game at those in a bit so I'm not sure what it says there but the wiki accurately reflects the lack of brakes on the front nose wheel.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

4 hours ago, Zpike said:

Bewing asked: " Which "in game info", please? "

Click the left side "ground" tab.

Roll over the "LY_01 Fixed Landing Gear" and then right click to bring up extended information.

The extended info shows: Brake Torque: 2.0kNm however the brakes don't work.

Thank you -- but you must be using an older version of the program? Or maybe a modded version? In ver 1.2.2, my extended info says this (note the "No Brakes" comment):

wYZppcc.jpg

Your images is of the LY-05 Steerable, not the LY_01 Fixed.

You're not looking at the right part.

I'm not modded and i'm running the vanilla Steam purchased and updated version.

Edited by Zpike

32 minutes ago, Zpike said:

Your images is of the LY-05 Steerable, not the LY_01 Fixed.

The LY01 does have brakes, and they do work. So if you are having trouble with them, then something is wrong with your craft.

• 2 years later...
On 1/8/2017 at 5:24 AM, Snark said:

Moving to Gameplay Questions.

When you say "the starter wheels", do you specifically mean the LY-05?

83px-LY-05_Steerable_Landing_Gear.png

This wheel has no brakes built in.  (It did when the part was first released in KSP 1.0, but the brakes were removed in KSP 1.1.)

That explains why my latest plane crashed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.